Parroting

Voice your input! Discuss anything to do with SpudFiles.com or community it's self. Constructive discussions only. This is a place to express thoughts about making the community better.
jrrdw
United States of America

Donating Members

Thu May 15, 2008 4:32 am

Parroting:
1) Makes clutter
2) Annoys members
3) Annoys mods
4) Feeds trolls
5) Will get you screamed at from this point forward
6) Will get a good thread locked
7) Is a huge waste of space and time
8.) Will be considered post whoring

1 post after another saying the same thing just worded differently. Once it has been said all ready, don't repeat it.

Have a great day, have fun, and enjoy your stay! :D
Last edited by jrrdw on Thu May 15, 2008 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
psycix
Sergeant Major 4
Sergeant Major 4

Donating Members

Thu May 15, 2008 5:46 am

Yeah your right, I would like to add the following:

Parroting causes all this:
-1- Clutters the forum
-2- Members get annoyed
-3- Mods get annoyed
-4- Trolls get feed
-5- You Will be screamed at from this point forward
-6- Good thread locked may be locked
-7- Wastes space and time
-8- Post whoring is basically the same

A post saying exactly the same as one before, but just using other words.
Dont repeat things which have been said already.

Have a nice day, make some fun, and enjoy being here at spudfiles :D

Now the above was a joke, but it actually is also a good example of parrotting.
Just dont do it. When you say something, say why you think that, and dont touch the reply button if you havent got anything "new" to add.

jrrdw, please dont get angry for this joke, delete it if you dont like it.
No bad things intended.
Till the day I'm dieing, I'll keep them spuddies flying, 'cause I can!

Spudfiles steam group, join!
MrCrowley

Thu May 15, 2008 6:24 am

Parroting DWV pisses me off quite a bit also.

It's alright if one member says it, but unless you have something to add or are reinforcing that claim, no need to make a post solely for the purpose of pointing out DWV if someone else has already done it.

Pretty much every member with over a few hundred posts knows how to spot DWV and what DWV is, and we all pretty much point it out an equal amount. Which generates a lot of posts.

Pointing out DWV on a basic combustion is pointless also, there are far too many people posting just to point it out.

Apart from that, it's really only when someone doesn't search that everyone jumps on the bandwagon.

I would like to officially say, unless you are helping someone in a topic where they obviously have done little or no searching, don't post. Just report it to a moderator via PM or MSN.

We will deal to it accordingly, after that, unless you are going to help them, move on.

Oh and jrrdw, no need to say "Seconded! and backed up!!" to reinforce another mods' message. One mod should have the same power as two mods, we shouldn't need to back each other up to get the message across if you know what I mean.

Just thought while we were on the 'parroting' topic i'd mention it :)

Just remembered, we will no longer tolerate posts written by your forehead. Yup, that's right 'facepalmheaddeskcombo' posts such as 'fiujshfiedjidfe' will be deleted from now on. :)

Thankyou Carlman for reminding me, though your post now ceases to exist unless you're on PCGUY's account :wink:
psycix
Sergeant Major 4
Sergeant Major 4

Donating Members

Thu May 15, 2008 7:32 am

DWV parroting may be annoying, but if it isnt stressed enough people who dont know what they are doing might not see the importance of it.

It might be annoying, but I think it is "somewhat "needed.
There is a limit, and people saying nothing more then "yeah thats dwv" are very wrong.
Example:
0# - topicstart, a cannon is posted
1# - first reply: nice gun, though there is DWV on it
2# - 2nd reply: yeah its awesome, but scrap the DWV
3# - 3rd reply: you should shorten that hose to make it pilot more effiecient, also there is DWV on it

1# is good, since he was the first to mention, its not parroting (duh)
2# is bad! he is parroting
3# is good in my opinion, though he parrotted the DWV subject, he also said something else

When saying something else, the post is already there and in my opinion it should be allowed to parrot another member, because your post is usefull, so it doesnt really matter if you add one line of parrot text right?
Though this should be done within limits of reason.

MrCrowley

Thu May 15, 2008 3:49 pm

Yeh agreed, that's what I meant by:
It's alright if one member says it, but unless you have something to add or are reinforcing that claim, no need to make a post solely for the purpose of pointing out DWV if someone else has already done it.
Stressing that the person used DWV is good, but as long as you're not some DWV Nazi posting only that in every thread with a cannon that uses DWV.
POLAND_SPUD
Captain
Captain

Thu May 15, 2008 4:33 pm

lol I never use PVC... but hey DWV is dangerous and there are people who won't understand/belive something unless 20 members tell them...

moreover noobs don't know who can be trusted... so parroting is in a way good because it helps to establish what is 100% true and what is not...

I know that there has been a lot of talking about off-topic threads, etc. but I think it's going too far
MrCrowley

Thu May 15, 2008 5:20 pm

Like I said above, I don't mind people saying the person is using DWV but when a showcase topic looks like this:

2_hot_4_u: Hey man get rid of the DWV or you will blow up
members72373: use pressure rated pipe next time!
xman247: you used DWV! Which will explode

...I get pissed off.

It should be like:

Hey man, nice cannon. I like the way you did this...
It seems you have used DWV PVC, which is not pressure rated. This means that your cannon is not very safe. I'd recommend replacing the DWV fittings/pipe and building a new cannon.

Then the person should be like:

Ok, so what do I need to replace? What is DWV and how do I know what fittings and pipe are pressure rated?

So you then link them to this:
http://www.spudfiles.com/spud_wiki/inde ... _Rated_PVC

And they're on there way and everyone's happy.

As long as you make a decent post, and just don't post for the reason on being a DWV Nazi, i'm fine with it.
jrrdw
United States of America

Donating Members

Thu May 15, 2008 7:43 pm

POLAND_SPUD wrote:lol I never use PVC... but hey DWV is dangerous and there are people who won't understand/belive something unless 20 members tell them...

moreover noobs don't know who can be trusted... so parroting is in a way good because it helps to establish what is 100% true and what is not...

I know that there has been a lot of talking about off-topic threads, etc. but I think it's going too far
Read the 1st post by me, I'm sticken to it.
ammosmoke
Sergeant
Sergeant

Thu May 15, 2008 7:54 pm

Awwk, the proverbial DWV. Well, I must admit I am guilty of parroting that one. I have seen too many people in person, who had no idea what it was, and didn't care because their gun hadn't blown up yet. I was like WTF you are an idiot. So, in the case of DWV, I think that parroting should be like, instant. Hope I don't get too much flak for this...
jrrdw
United States of America

Donating Members

Thu May 15, 2008 8:13 pm

ammosmoke wrote:Awwk, the proverbial DWV. Well, I must admit I am guilty of parroting that one. I have seen too many people in person, who had no idea what it was, and didn't care because their gun hadn't blown up yet. I was like WTF you are an idiot. So, in the case of DWV, I think that parroting should be like, instant. Hope I don't get too much flak for this...
No! Don't parrot, that is what this is all about. If members parrot, they will get their post deleted!
MrCrowley

Thu May 15, 2008 8:15 pm

Agreed. Telling people they used DWV means nothing to them. Otherwise they wouldn't have used it.

If one person points out the DWV and explains what it is and what the member needs to do, five other people shouldn't need to do the same thing. Unless they're pointing out something the other member missed.
psycix
Sergeant Major 4
Sergeant Major 4

Donating Members

Fri May 16, 2008 5:16 am

MrCrowley wrote:It should be like:

Hey man, nice cannon. I like the way you did this...
It seems you have used DWV PVC, which is not pressure rated. This means that your cannon is not very safe. I'd recommend replacing the DWV fittings/pipe and building a new cannon.

Then the person should be like:

Ok, so what do I need to replace? What is DWV and how do I know what fittings and pipe are pressure rated?

So you then link them to this:
http://www.spudfiles.com/spud_wiki/inde ... _Rated_PVC

And they're on there way and everyone's happy.
It should but it also depends on the owner of the cannon.
Instead of:
He may also say:
wtf is dwv i dont care. imnot goin 2 buld a new cannon cuz of dwv
or
well, if it was it would have blown up by now, so i am safe
or
how do you know that, the other guys think this cannon is awesome
or
ooh weel thats not so important right?
or no response at all.

At wich point he compromises his own safety unless its stressed enough.
Some people need to get bombarded with DWV warnings until they understand the importance of it.

MrCrowley

Fri May 16, 2008 6:42 am

Yes but telling them:

You used DWV OMFG GTFO!!11one!!!

Isn't going to help, and frankly that's what some mebers are doing.
POLAND_SPUD
Captain
Captain

Fri May 16, 2008 6:50 am

Yes but telling them:

agreed...

but the fact that some members write such things doesn't have anything to do with parroting.. and psycix pointed out quite well that parroting is sometimes a good thing
MrCrowley

Fri May 16, 2008 6:55 am

POLAND_SPUD wrote:
Yes but telling them:

but the fact that some members write such things doesn't have anything to do with parroting.. and psycix pointed out quite well that parroting is sometimes a good thing
It does when you get 5 people on average to a two page showcase thread saying it.

If the member doesn't get the idea, yeah keep telling him otherwise. But looking through topics a lot of what I see is:

Nice cannon, lose the DWV though.
Cool design, but you used DWV.
I like the stock, I think the elbow is DWV.

You just need one person to say:

Great cannon..blah blah blah, looks like you used some DWV fittings blah blah blah.

Then wait for the OP to reply. Then post accordingly to what they say in their reply.