What Would?

Voice your input! Discuss anything to do with SpudFiles.com or community it's self. Constructive discussions only. This is a place to express thoughts about making the community better.
jrrdw
United States of America

Donating Members

Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:12 pm

What do you think pcguy?
Velocity
Sergeant
Sergeant

Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:08 pm

I don't think their accounts should be deleted after an inactive period of time. It is best if they come onto the website, observe for a few weeks (and possibly months), and finally start posting somewhat intelligent thoughts instead of nonsense or simple questions
beebs111
Corporal 4
Corporal 4

Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:10 pm

thats why i reccomended sending a pm to pc guy to prove that they ar enot a bot or some 12 year old just looking for a forum to make a stupid post in. you should also include one of those picture things that stops bots, because im tired of reading about viagria and teenage nudists(on this forum)
in the upcoming presidential election, there will be several candidates who will be running, one of whom is Hillary Clinton. Now WAIT A SECOND!!! I though there was some sort of rule that prevented someone from serving more than two terms in office. Vote Against Hillary: Presidential Elections 08
MrCrowley

Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:19 pm

Yeah but I would say 9/10 of the time its a basic simple question that has been answered many times on the forum or in the wiki.

The other 1/10 is some random piglatin sh*t that doesnt make sence :wink:
PCGUY
Owner
Owner
United States of America

Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:19 pm

MrCrowley wrote:Never thought I would hear that from you Prof :P

Back on topic, I think the site should be advertised more,not sure how you would do it for free but more users the better.

I would also like to see......some more cannons from you :P

Also I have a few bugs.....

1:I automatically get logged of when I click the link givin in an email to view a topic ive posted in. I always click stay logged on but I get logged off again.
2:The new topic thing doesnt update regulary,e.g I click on a new topic link but it still says I havnt viewed it yet.
For #1, I can't reproduce that here. Does anyone else seem to have that problem? Can you test it on another computer to ensure it just isn't some setting with your PC?

For #2, can you elaborate more? I'm not sure exactly what you mean. If you mean on the main page where it says something like "56 New Messages" and you click on it and start viewing topics, that number and such will not change till you actually reload that page. Just hitting BACK after reading a post won't make that number go down.

As far as the chat room, I guess I could put one up again since so many people request it. However the same thing happened last time, everyone wanted it yet no one ever used it.

As far as spell check goes, yes I can advertise FireFox on SpudFiles. I am also looking at an on-site spell check solution that would work with any browser.

As far as a test to get on here and/or a paid membership you have to think. When you were brand new to spudding and you found a forum about it, would you really pay to get on it? Would you really wait around for a week to become active so you could ask your question? You must remember that a noobs question may seen dumb, but you were once dumb like that too. <b>I have a few ideas on ways to get people to use the search more, I will be trying them in the new few days.</b>

If some of you want to get together to write some new stuff for the Wiki, you can use this Website Talk area to pool your thoughts together for various articles (see who wants to write what, etc.)

The bot spam posting thing (lots are actually paid humans in foreign countries to post on here) should barely happen anymore due to a new verification method I have put in place for email domains.
Yes, I am the guy that owns & operates SpudFiles (along with our extremely helpful moderators).
MisterSteve124
Corporal 3
Corporal 3

Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:23 pm

Please I think you should get rid of the thing that says the staff of spudfiles invites you to read this topic because I'm sure thats why noobs always bring up dead topics.
PCGUY
Owner
Owner
United States of America

Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:27 pm

MisterSteve124 wrote:Please I think you should get rid of the thing that says the staff of spudfiles invites you to read this topic because I'm sure thats why noobs always bring up dead topics.
Good idea. I set it so now it can only suggest reading various stickies and announcements from all forums.

Or I could make it totally disappear.
Yes, I am the guy that owns & operates SpudFiles (along with our extremely helpful moderators).
MisterSteve124
Corporal 3
Corporal 3

Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:31 pm

Either would be fine I think but I'm pretty sure atleast 80% of the dead topics that are kicked up were caused from that.
Bluetooth
Corporal 4
Corporal 4

Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:36 pm

I don't agree with the waiting period. Would you like to wait a week before you can post on a forum you registered for?
MrCrowley

Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:44 pm

PCGUY wrote:
MisterSteve124 wrote:Please I think you should get rid of the thing that says the staff of spudfiles invites you to read this topic because I'm sure thats why noobs always bring up dead topics.
Good idea. I set it so now it can only suggest reading various stickies and announcements from all forums.

Or I could make it totally disappear.
Or make it only bring up topics from the last......week maybe.
Bluetooth
Corporal 4
Corporal 4

Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:57 pm

I like the sticky idea though.
PCGUY
Owner
Owner
United States of America

Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:59 pm

I have reinstated the classifieds (with some new rules).
frankrede
Sergeant Major 2
Sergeant Major 2

Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:09 pm

Well what happens is when I log on It says their are 64 new messages. But when I click to see them it only displays 16 or so. ANd those numbers are examples Its always diffrent.
Current project: Afghanistan deployment
PCGUY
Owner
Owner
United States of America

Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:24 pm

That is correct. That number means there are 64 new messages, but when you click it the 16 is how many topics that have new posts. So there are 64 new posts within 16 topics.
noname
First Sergeant 4
First Sergeant 4

Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:56 am

So that's with te topics also? It often says things like 4 new topics but there's only 1 or 2.