What i've been up to lately

Meaningful discussion outside of the potato gun realm. Projects, theories, current events. Non-productive discussion will be locked.
qwerty
Corporal 2
Corporal 2

Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:59 pm

Haven't posted in a while, i always go in and out of phases. Usually
RC cars - Spudguns - RC planes - Gymnastics/trampolining and other things too

I'm in the RC planes stage at the moment but you'll be glad to hear that i'm making them rather than buying RTF planes.

Here's my first EPP delta, designed and built by me.

(too lazy to re-wright the thread :D)

Link:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1418315

Anyone else fly RC planes?
I visit occasionally to make unrelated posts.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:41 pm

Ah, I see you've switched to making targets :D Nice effort, foam is an amazing material to work with. I used to be very much into small free flight models but after spudding it's not satisfying anymore.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
POLAND_SPUD
Captain
Captain

Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:31 pm

Ah, I see you've switched to making targets
Nahh he is building his own airforce... that should make conquering the world a lot easier

FPVs look very impressive - I guess you would like to have one yourself ?

ohh and check ardupilot >>
http://diydrones.com/

[youtube][/youtube]

I find it very surprising that no one has used them as DYI cruise missiles... cheap, readymade platform that is so small that traditional air defence couldn't even target them... (not to mention that they probably would cost less than 1/100-1/200 of a second of burst from CIWS)

plus they can be made out of foam and balsa (=STEALTH)

Assymetric warfare at its finest...

Uhmm yeah maybe I should point that out but hey it is obvious. I wouldn't be surprised if they ban them - yeah I know how it sounds but if you think of it...
Last edited by POLAND_SPUD on Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Children are the future

unless we stop them now
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:39 pm

POLAND_SPUD wrote:FPVs look very impressive - I guess you would like to have one yourself?
They are. Heck, If I could make a RC AC-130 complete with scale "howitzer" it would be a dream come true. As previously discussed ;)
ohh and check ardupilot
Bleedin' heck, you really can do everything with it!
I find it very surprising that no one has used either of them as DYI cruise missiles...
Because of the government.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
POLAND_SPUD
Captain
Captain

Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:52 pm

Because of the government.
The problem is that currently the government can't do a damn thing about it. You've got information on this stuff all over the internet and they sell components nearly everywhere...

it's not that you can ban any of the components used as they are used for a lot of other stuff too

anyway check ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/900mhz-Complete-FPV ... 27b9e7d984

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-4Ghz-FPV-Video-A- ... 3cb61aa099

ohh yeah and before you ask... china already produces quite a lot of stuff for them so they are basically speaking readily available
Children are the future

unless we stop them now
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:58 pm

POLAND_SPUD
Captain
Captain

Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:11 pm

hmm they really know their stuff (as proven in lebanon) so it is almost certain that they will use them with great success

It is also a great chance to turn asymmetric warfare into something more humane/difficult to discredit...

well if you think of it attacking civilians is not always the aim but rather the only option. The reason is that military targets are a lot harder to reach
Children are the future

unless we stop them now
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:37 pm

With the C-RAM under consideration and the existence of 35mm cannon firing the fantastic AHEAD ammunition, it's going to be even less useful against military targets.

Anyway, going slightly off topic here...
POLAND_SPUD
Captain
Captain

Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:50 pm

Anyway, going slightly off topic here
yes, yes we are :D
C-RAM under consideration and the existence of 35mm cannon firing the fantastic AHEAD ammunition, it's going to be even less useful against military targets
That looks cool on animations and when shooting targets flying high but try to use it in an urban setting

[youtube][/youtube]

Not to mention the costs
(it is a bit like launching one tomahawk missile to kill one resistance fighter ) :D
Children are the future

unless we stop them now
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:35 am

That is pretty friggin' impressive... but if you're going to scale down the threat, surely you could also scale down the response. The military would employ arudino geeks to make small stepper motor sentry turrets with high powered AEGs that could be produced cheaply and networked around an urban space ;)
Technician1002
Captain
Captain

Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:40 am

Nice video. Since the RF for the camera link and RC control doesn't like tunnels there was a need to chase the plane to maintain control and video link. I like how the end has a lot of holding pattern while the car is parked.
qwerty
Corporal 2
Corporal 2

Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:49 am

If you think those are impressive, check out this guy. His videos have got to be the best FPV on the internet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySBEw2ic47s

I think he is flying with a Ritewing Zephr.

Jack will like this one.

Mid air homemade CO2 bb gun fights :)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1148001
I visit occasionally to make unrelated posts.
Technician1002
Captain
Captain

Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:41 am

The best one I saw a couple of years ago was downtown in a city. At the end of the flight, it headed to a high-rise and went in an open sliding glass door where the owner caught it.

I doubt I can find it again.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:52 am

qwerty wrote:Jack will like this one.
He does :D I especially like the tilting camera and "realistic" cockpit, fantastic stuff!

I still insist that a BBMG would be the best idea as suggested in other threads. A large hollow fuselage would double as a low (≈150psi) pressure chamber (imagine 4 x 3L soda bottles in line, that would give you a massive 12 litre volume for very little weight, which should be good enough for at least 20 seconds firing time (a Battle of Britain era Spitfire had enough rounds for less than 16 seconds). A servo actuated ball valve or small solenoid valve would be the "trigger", and an o-ring detent would ensure worthwhile power - certainly more than an AEG could provide, especially for a given weight.
Ragnarok
Captain
Captain

Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:24 am

Nice footage, but a shame he combined it with that auditory sacrilege!
Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?