Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 76 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 71 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

New Website Bugs/Comments/Feedback

Comments, Suggestions, Questions, anything to do with the website or community it's self. This is a place to express thoughts about making this community better.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Re: New Website Bugs/Comments/Feedback

Unread postAuthor: jrrdw » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:57 am

dart guy wrote:First of all why squirrel and second I remembered that gun from when I looked around the forum , also I remember the other pneumatic that he built and he was wearing a shirt that said " security " on the front.

Because they are "security squirrels" working infoemation retrieval...if you would have built a cannon by now you would have known that! :shock: :P :bom: BOOM!

When life gives you lemons...throw them back they suck!
jrrdw
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:34 pm

Interesting revision. The appearance of the site is much more modern, though as mentioned the banner does look like something from a kids website. I definitely like the fact that the forum is still lightweight and functional, and hasn't tried to go the way of social networks with flashy graphics and loads of superfluous features. Overall it has a bit of a 'cheesy' feel to it, but I'm old school, and maybe this will appeal more to the younger crowd of today.

One question, are you planning to implement any alternate forum skins? I'd prefer something dark, similar to the SF board from '06 or so. That forum was obviously technically inferior, but much better looking IMO.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Gun Freak » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:56 pm

SpudBlaster15 wrote: Overall it has a bit of a 'cheesy' feel to it, but I'm old school, and maybe this will appeal more to the younger crowd of today.

Well put, that's exactly how I feel. Honestly to me the new layout is a bit cumbersome because I'm so used to the lack of extra features with the old website. I guess I'll get used to it :D

OG Anti-Hybrid
One man's trash is a true Spudder's treasure!
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!
Gun Freak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: PCGUY » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:20 pm

Interesting, thank you for the honest input guys. I do agree, getting used to how things work is a bit of an issue. its been rough for me as well, I'm even going to have to outline some simple moderator instruction due to the large number of new features (the control panels are wicked). This is largely due to the new forum software under the hood, the old one was becoming a problem because things it required have been depreciated in the PHP server software over the years.

it has always seemed that some people do perfer the old school techy look, however this has been designed to try to bring a larger audience/memberbase. However since this time I well documented everything I've done to the site, making a second theme shouldn't be too difficult :-) and I see just where I'd want the button...

Yes, I am the guy that owns & operates SpudFiles (along with our extremely helpful moderators).
PCGUY
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postAuthor: jrrdw » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:15 pm

I'm pretty well use to it all ready and I LIKE IT! The only thing I would change is to have links open in a new browser.

For me when I'm posting links I like to test them before submitting the post. When I click preview, then i click the link to test it and the current browser redirects to the address the link takes you to, yeaaaa the link worked....wait a second I still have to submit the post I'm working on, no big deal just use the back button.

Click the back button, the browser redirects and waalaa, "that page has exspired". Dammit I have to start my post all over again... It only took once for me to remember to right click the link and choose "open in a new window" from the sub-context menu.

jrrdw
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:06 am

Is something up with youtube video embeds?

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: jrrdw » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:50 am

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:Is something up with youtube video embeds?

Nope, click 'share' just below the video and copy the highlighted link provided, then go to 'full editor' then click the Youtube button and paste the link you copied in between the center brackets.

jrrdw
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: PCGUY » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:23 am

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:Is something up with youtube video embeds?

Yes actually, there is. If you post a new video following the example on the YouTube button (using the share link as you should be), it works great (supports the HTML5 video player if the video supports it/browser supports it). However, old links do not work along with old HTML (it's in the bug notes). I'm going to have to go through and change posts to make them look right... moderators and users can help as well :D

Yes, I am the guy that owns & operates SpudFiles (along with our extremely helpful moderators).
PCGUY
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postAuthor: Brian the brain » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:15 am

I'm not so sure I'm happy with the bugs...

Took me about an hour to log on succesfully...
Not sure why...

Not sure why I eventually succeeded either..

But I found out, when logging on is not possible, it's also impossible to notify PCguy about it..
Can't PM him or find an E-mail adress....you need to be logged on for that.

Click on "Team"...only possible after log in.
I was hoping to find some way to contact him there..

Maybe it's a good idea to have a button on the homepage to contact PCguy as a "guest" directly?
Just in case another member has the same problem.

About the incindiary spuds...clearly it;s a muzzleflash..Maybe a piston hybrid?

Gun Freak wrote:
Oh my friggin god stop being so awesome, that thing is pure kick ass. Most innovative and creative pneumatic that the files have ever come by!

Can't ask for a better compliment!!
Brian the brain

Unread postAuthor: jrrdw » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:36 am

Brian the brain wrote:I'm not so sure I'm happy with the bugs...

Not sure why...

But I found out, when logging on is not possible, it's also impossible to notify PCguy about it..

Maybe it's a good idea to have a button on the homepage to contact PCguy as a "guest" directly?

Try the "Forgot password" option and change your password. I looked for your email address but I don't have it, I would have sent this to you directly...It might work, might not.

jrrdw
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: PCGUY » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:37 am

Brian the brain wrote:I'm not so sure I'm happy with the bugs...

Not sure why...

That's not a bug, simply your browser cache not updating as it should :-) annoying yes but I simply have no control over it. I'm suprised it even happens since the cookie names are totally different.

Also it is directly on the front page what to do if you can't login ;-) I've had several contact me but not about login issues.

PCGUY
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postAuthor: Fnord » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:01 pm

Ah, I came out of hiding at an appropriate time.
Looks nice, still trying to figure out where everything's at though.

Hey PCGuy, do you have any plans on forcing an SSL connection at login? I think the old login hashed/scrambled them somehow, though I never looked into it. This one sends plain-text if I'm seeing it right (?)

Not sure how important it is or what the difficulties are in getting a cert signed, but it seems like kind of a standard procedure these days...

Also, is there a way to enable the 'recent posts' box that used to be at the left side, or has it been removed?

Fnord
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: jrrdw » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:46 pm

Also, is there a way to enable the 'recent posts' box that used to be at the left side, or has it been removed?

I click on "unread post", seems to get the same results. :mrgreen:

jrrdw
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: Fnord » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:47 am

Me and Jsr have found a little problem with the image uploader.

It seems it now handles images using the /resources/image/#### directory instead of the .jpg itself. (I assume this is to prevent imbedding across domains).

When you upload a file *without* actually imbedding it into a public forum post, it persists on the server but remains inaccessible to anyone not logged into the relevant user account, even when visiting the URL directly.

I used to do this to imbed images in PMs while still keeping them stored on SF's server, but it seems to be broken now.
Is this a bug or just a feature behaving in an inconvenient way?

Fnord
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: PCGUY » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:35 am

Fnord wrote:Me and Jsr have found a little problem with the image uploader.

It seems it now handles images using the /resources/image/#### directory instead of the .jpg itself. (I assume this is to prevent imbedding across domains).

When you upload a file *without* actually imbedding it into a public forum post, it persists on the server but remains inaccessible to anyone not logged into the relevant user account, even when visiting the URL directly.

I used to do this to imbed images in PMs while still keeping them stored on SF's server, but it seems to be broken now.
Is this a bug or just a feature behaving in an inconvenient way?

Your talking about using the "Upload Attachment" function from when you make a topic or reply, correct? If so, that function works completely different than it used to. The new forum software allows permissions to be set on that, so doing as your describing will have ill results (aka broken things). Doesn't stop someone from hot-linking an image onto another website per-say, but if the attachment is uploaded then never attached to a post then it will become what it calls an Orphaned Attachment and you will risk that image getting deleted from the server.

If your wanting to attach images to PM's, I'm simply going to have to turn those options on. That way, the image will be directly attached to the PM just like it can to a post.

Edit - Attachments for PM's turned on.

Fnord wrote:Ah, I came out of hiding at an appropriate time.
Looks nice, still trying to figure out where everything's at though.

Hey PCGuy, do you have any plans on forcing an SSL connection at login? I think the old login hashed/scrambled them somehow, though I never looked into it. This one sends plain-text if I'm seeing it right (?)

Not sure how important it is or what the difficulties are in getting a cert signed, but it seems like kind of a standard procedure these days...

If I force SSL, it will be website wide. I have considered this but it will be a future improvement. Yes however, getting the SSL cert costs and it costs to keep it renewed. Or I may implement something like we used to have... considering the way SF is setup right now is exactly the same way millions of websites run currently I'm not immediately concerned about it.

Regarding the Recent Topics block on the left side, it can be added back. Fairly simply as well, I have it built into our portal system. However, I did not know how useful people found it or how much it was used. It creates additional sever load which we can handle, but at launch I put it only on the main Home page then decided it was ugly and removed it totally a few days ago. Anyone else have thoughts/comments about this?

PCGUY
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Website Discussion