Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 71 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 67 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

New Website Bugs/Comments/Feedback

Comments, Suggestions, Questions, anything to do with the website or community it's self. This is a place to express thoughts about making this community better.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Re: New Website Bugs/Comments/Feedback

Unread postAuthor: mark.f » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:12 pm

Another thing I've noticed:

I'm going back to fix all of my cannon database posts and upload pictures to fix dead links.

Searching with the results displayed as topics in ascending chronological order... the easiest way to find all my posts.

However, when I go to the next page of results, it resets to displaying results as individual posts in descending chronological order.

I can get by like this because it's the showcase and I can pretty much remember all the cannons I've posted (although it gets difficult with time, lol), just thought I'd let you know. I tried deleting my history, temporary data, and cookies. Using Firefox 24.0.

mark.f
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Gun Freak » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:09 pm

I like the recent post box on the left because its an easy way to go thread to thread without the mumbo jumbo in between. For people who log on often it is nice because most of the time, all of the threads that have been posted in since your last visit can fit in that box. It's nice to just click click click and have seen all the new posts.

OG Anti-Hybrid
One man's trash is a true Spudder's treasure!
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!
Gun Freak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: PCGUY » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:36 pm

Hey everyone,

mark.f wrote:Another thing I've noticed:

I'm going back to fix all of my cannon database posts and upload pictures to fix dead links.

Searching with the results displayed as topics in ascending chronological order... the easiest way to find all my posts.

However, when I go to the next page of results, it resets to displaying results as individual posts in descending chronological order.

I can get by like this because it's the showcase and I can pretty much remember all the cannons I've posted (although it gets difficult with time, lol), just thought I'd let you know. I tried deleting my history, temporary data, and cookies. Using Firefox 24.0.

Indeed, this seems to be strange behavior. I was able to reproduce it (and also see that topics returned in search result with thumbnails can look strange) so thank you for the report I'm going to look into it.

On another good note, the Wiki integration should now be fixed! If you wouldn't mind testing it out, it would be appreciated.

Also regarding the recent topics box, I am working on bringing it back. The current box I have available is far too much, I'm trying to get something streamlined together that is cleaner looking but basically like this (when cleaner looking I can make it go to the last 8 or so topics).

Attachments
recent.gif
recent.gif (10.69 KiB) Viewed 515 times
Yes, I am the guy that owns & operates SpudFiles (along with our extremely helpful moderators).
PCGUY
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postAuthor: Gun Freak » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:45 pm

Wiki works fine for me! And that recent box looks great!!

OG Anti-Hybrid
One man's trash is a true Spudder's treasure!
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!
Gun Freak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: PCGUY » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:56 pm

Another question... is the reputation rating on posts (and the up/down arrows) on the right side too hard to spot?

I haven't made any big pushes about reputation yet nor have I retroactively added any, but I am surprised to see how little people are giving thumbs ups and downs on posts. I'm wondering if since it's on the bottom right of each post if it's just out of sight...

Yes, I am the guy that owns & operates SpudFiles (along with our extremely helpful moderators).
PCGUY
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postAuthor: mark.f » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:12 pm

I try to give builds rating since there's usually one every day or so (or another worthy post) and I usually give my max rep points for that day.

mark.f
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: PCGUY » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:33 pm

Ah, currently various people have various amounts of rep power per ~4 hour period, it's built upon post count/history with SF/etc. There are probably several things I need to put up in the FAQ...

PCGUY
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: jrrdw » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:26 am

I've been seeing Poss. Rep. being given here and there. Easy to see I think.

When life gives you lemons...throw them back they suck!
jrrdw
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: sharpshooter11000 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:13 pm

I miss the recent topics box, glad to see you're working on it! :)

I think people will get used to giving rep over time, maybe just because it's new people are kinda scared to use it! It's like one forum I'm on practically every post is 'liked' by someone, and anything with a picture can have between 10 and 40 likes! It seems that most good contributors on that forum have about twice the amount of rep than posts. But another forum I've been a member of there is a rep button but nobody uses it.

Personally I really like it, I think it's a great idea! It means your reputation is based on whether others value your contribution rather than how many pointless posts you've made!

My cannons | My QEV cannon |
sharpshooter11000
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: PCGUY » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:16 pm

Do you guys not see the recent topics box on the left? its on most pages, but not the view topic page (the pages where you actually read posts).

PCGUY
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:41 am

I'm not seeing it on this page.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: PCGUY » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:35 pm

I'm guessing that means you guys would like it on the topic viewing pages as well? Since right now, it not showing here is intentional (due to threads that have a few posts running the page way down the left side, and to keep database access to a minimum). However, you should all see it on any other pages that have the left bar down the page.

PCGUY
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postAuthor: jrrdw » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:45 pm

I think if you put the recent topics on every page it will look cluttered. Being on the forums index pages is plenty good.

When life gives you lemons...throw them back they suck!
jrrdw
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: POLAND_SPUD » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:36 pm

not sure if this is relevant but just got this ->
Warning: array_filter() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given in /home/spudfile/public_html/includes/session.php on line 2205

Warning: strtr(): The second argument is not an array in /home/spudfile/public_html/includes/session.php on line 2254

Warning: strtr(): The second argument is not an array in /home/spudfile/public_html/includes/session.php on line 2254

Fatal error: template->_tpl_load_file() in /home/spudfile/public_html/includes/functions_template.php on line 87

...when trying to access one of the threads

Children are the future

unless we stop them now
POLAND_SPUD
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:56 pm

Same here - thread appears in recent posts but not in active threads, could it be that it was deleted?

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Website Discussion