Bruiser

Just build a cannon and want to show it off? Post it in here.

Postby freeridin011 » Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:02 pm

I have been looking to build a gun of my own and think i want to use c02 as a fuel source. Can you tell me how you used the co2 tank to full up your chamber and with how much pressure do you use to launch the paintballs. would it would with potatoes you think.
freeridin011

Postby iamthewalrus » Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:47 pm

u can use this set-up to use co2 on ur cannon, http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=609
iamthewalrus

Postby BigBang » Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:09 am

Hi Gang,

I just got down to checking the forums this morning. The weekend was crazy. I helped shoot three professional fireworks shows (one took 17 hours of work for a 30 minute show - Geez!), hosted my own 4th of July cookout, and did lots of playing with my new cannons. I had to come back to work just to rest.

I was pleased to see that this rifle has generated so much interest. Thank you for all the kind comments. I'll try to answer several questions.

1) Yes, this really is my first pneumatic. However, I've made several other combustion guns. This particular gun took me several evenings over the past couple of months. Not that it was a terribly difficult build, but I typically have to sneek out to the garage around 10pm or later after we get the kids to bed. I spent maybe 25 hours on it total, including time to fix errors and change my design a couple of times. Here are some picture of one of my other projects from last year. http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=221

2) The paint is Krylon Fusion, both the blue and black. After it dries very well (several days) I wipe down the paint with WD-40 to create an even semi-gloss finish.

3) The 3/4" CTS CPVS sleaved perfectly well into 1" CTS CPVC. I discovered this quite by accident while fiddling around at Lowes one day. I highly recommend this for making paintball barrels stronger.

4) I estimate that I can get about 40 shots at 120psi from one fill of my 20oz CO2 bottle. I haven't shot at that high of a pressure yet, and I didn't keep track of my shots this past weekend, though. I used Freefall's suggestions here(http://localhost/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9582) to do the math.

5) The chamber is double walled 1.5" SCH 40 PVC. For safety I always double wall my chambers. In this case I started with a continuous length of 1.5" SCH 40 PVC. I then took 5 couplings and used my dremel tool to open them up a bit so they would slip over the main chamber tube. I then held it all together with Gorilla glue. I did the same thing with the butt stock too. Once the Gorilla glue is dry, I sand the whole thing down for a smooth finish. The bipod mount is made from a 1.5" T fitting. This I opened up quite abit so that it would rotate freely on the main chamber tubing. The bipod itself is made from 3/4" PVC, but is not double walled since it doesn't see any pressure.

As for performance, I can get about 75 feet across my backyard. At this range my buddies and I were able to hit a 1 sq. ft. pine board target just about everytime yesterday. As with all muzzleloaders there will likely be an optimum pressure for best accuracy. More is not necessarily always better when it comes to accuracy. I may also look into a cheep laser sight (I saw some for BB guns at Walmart a few days ago) or some sort of sight rail. Currently it is a challenge to aim, since the barrel is below the upper surface of the QEV.

Thanks for you interest,
BigBang
BigBang

Postby sniperjosh » Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:20 am

gorilla glue....is htat purpose made PVC glue? u need ot make sure its PVC glue. nice gun, looks alot like my first gun, except the stock shape, and u painted urs :O. hm, noone will even read this, hahahha this topic is like 4 months old :/ oh well
sniperjosh

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby navyspudchunker » Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:59 am

just by looking at his pics i would say he has the palmer reg hooked directly onto the CO2 bottle and a regular tire fill adapter that he uses in conjunction with the schrader valve that is on his air resevoir, although i dont see it in the pics. Here is a link to the palmer site that has the tire fill adapter already on it. http://www.palmer-pursuit.com/online-ca ... ilizer.htm just scroll down it is pretty close to the bottom
navyspudchunker

Postby blowemupspudguy » Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:20 am

sorry to post here but, how is that fired? it looks like the ball valve just loops the air back into the top of the gun, or is there some space for air to get out? (sorry, i hate when somthing in an old post gets my attention...)
blowemupspudguy

Postby boyce1 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:02 am

The ball valve is just the safety and the "loop" is actually plugged.

The trigger is below and to the right of the ball valve.

His description gives more info.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by blowemupspudguy
[br]sorry to post here but, how is that fired? it looks like the ball valve just loops the air back into the top of the gun, or is there some space for air to get out? (sorry, i hate when somthing in an old post gets my attention...)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
boyce1

Postby blowemupspudguy » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:06 am

ah, i have been enlightened, thanks
blowemupspudguy

Postby nazdaq » Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:19 am

awsome!!! nice jobb
nazdaq

Postby BigBang » Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:54 pm

Nazdaq,

Thank you for your kind comments.

While this does not especially bother me, others might suggest you take a peek at the forum rules (especially 5.C). Kicking up an old thread just to offer a complement, while appreciated by me, is generaly frowned upon.

Thanks again,
BigBang
BigBang

PreviousNext

Return to Finished Cannons