Bruiser

Just build a cannon and want to show it off? Post it in here.

Postby davidbowie » Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:10 pm

Sorry for the major noob question, but where did you get that pushbutton valve. Is there a major chain store (i.e. lowes, HD) that carries them, or do they have to be ordered online?
davidbowie

Postby BigBang » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:58 am

I bought the little pushbutton valve at McMaster Carr (part #62475K11, $7.36 each). I thought it made a nice trigger, and for the most part it does. However, the flow rate is pretty small (CV = 0.24). If I was to do it over again, I'd probably look for some other way to vent the QEV. This little guy is barely enough.

In other news, I've found the Bruiser to not be so accurate. I can usually hit a big cardboard box set up across the back yard, but not much better. Anyone else have issues with accuracy? Any suggestions for increasing it? Or ideas for mounting sights on this thing?

BigBang
BigBang

Postby Green Villain » Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:01 pm

For sights, the way it looks, you could probably just epoxy a blade sight on the front of the barrel and fabricate a "v" sight for the rear. Mount it on 2 of the screws from the qev with the holes elongated to raise or lower it, and maybe have them larger than the screw diameter for windage adjustments.

Edit : here's a quick paint drawing (not to scale) of what I mean.
http://www.spudfiles.com/uploader/uploa ... ights1.JPG
The left would be the rear sight, and the right would be the blade for the front with some orange paint on top.
Green Villain

Postby TurboSuper » Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:11 pm

OMG- how come everyone except me seems to be able to do a professional looking paint job??? (mabye its cuz I use $3 cans of paint[:p])
TurboSuper

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby BigBang » Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:35 pm

Green Villan,
Thanks for your ideas.

I am wrestling with two difficult issues. The first is that there is a big drop between the top of the QEV and the barrel.

The second is that the barrel tends to slip a bit with respect to the main air reservoir. The hose clamps are tight but not so tight as to distort the barrel. The barrel slips just a bit when I bump it, sset it down or rest it on my knees for a while.

To get around these issues I have two ideas. One is to mount a cheep BB gun "red dot" style sight I saw at Walmart directly to the barrel. The problem with this is that the QEV still obstructs my view.

The second idea is to mount a little laser sight on the end of the barrel. This is probably cheepest, and an obstructed sight path won't matter.

Cheers,
BigBang
BigBang

Postby Green Villain » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:47 am

The laser sight would be cool. Get that barrel tight and you should be set.
Green Villain

Postby sniperjosh » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:07 pm

bigbang, dont go calling ur gun inaccurate, its probably fine, wait till u have sights setup up so u can actually aim properly, then fire about 10shots, see how big the group is.

however, that moving barrel is defianatly not good for the gun, posible make a small block between the barrel and chamber, which grips them, then hoiseclamp it all together, many others have done thise, most ppl do. just look at other pneumatics on thi sight, ull see its simple.

another thing too, is the barrel dead straight???, with my barrels i use, for marbles, (roughly the same size as those paintballs) i never sleeve pvc with pvc. thought many do it, its not the best if u want high accuracy, because pvc pipe is too easily flexed and warped, i personally sleeve my pvc inner barrel with dead-straight stainless steal tubing, and so far the guns ive made are dead accurate, well havent done heeps of group testing, but at about 25m i can pick off a coke can every time.

anyways, the gunn seems good, i rekcon once u get ur barrel and sights figured, it will shoot tight groups :)
sniperjosh

Postby BigBang » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:00 pm

Sniperjosh,

Humm, never though of sleeving CPVC into stainless steel. Sounds like an expensive, but worthy idea. Where do you buy yours. Is this something you have to order from McMaster Carr? If so, do you have a part number. I will keep this in mind for future projects.

Also, do you use wadding for marbles? My barrel is 0.75" CTS-CPVC and it is a bit big for marbles. I haven't tried it yet, but I was thinking of just using tissue paper as a wadding. Suggestions?

Thanks,
BigBang
BigBang

Postby BewareOfDog » Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:21 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><b>Originally posted by BigBang</b>
Also, do you use wadding for marbles? My barrel is 0.75" CTS-CPVC and it is a bit big for marbles. I haven't tried it yet, but I was thinking of just using tissue paper as a wadding. Suggestions?

Thanks,
BigBang
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I once made a full-auto Marble Machinegun, using a 1/2" diameter x 12" length Copper Repair Coupling, which I found at LOWE'S. The fight was so perfect, that I would have to separate the marbles by test-fitting each one.
BewareOfDog

Postby sniperjosh » Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:14 am

the stainless tubing i use is bought from the hardware, it is curtain rod, not too expensive, but i always inspect it to make sure its dead-straight or very close. the barrel tubing i use is 20mm Upvc, its electrical conduit tubing. perfect fit for the 16mm marbles i use. when sleeved properly it is highly accurate. remember im from australia, we dont have "LOWES" is that like a hardware store??? down here we have massive hardware stores called "BUNNINGS" i would say its similar. with this setup, there is no need for any wadding, as the marbles are a near-perfect fit.

DR this full-auto mabrle gun sounds very interesting, do u have any concept drawings or any pictures of this gun?? id love to see it
sniperjosh

PreviousNext

Return to Finished Cannons