Use Your Ear Plugs!

Just build a cannon and want to show it off? Post it in here.

Postby spudman029 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:27 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by saladtossser
[br] that is the greatest bi-pod i have ever seen
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

-Its more of a quadpod if anything...;):D
spudman029

Postby saladtossser » Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:59 pm

wow i am stupid
saladtossser

Postby aturner » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:11 pm

For the newbs who are freaking out in this topic, I'd just like to go on record as saying I trust Big Bang's judgement. The guy is an engineer, and all the cannons he has built have been designed so as to be very safe. Maybe even a bit of overkill in the safety department.

And just to make sure everyone has another chance to see this, I'll say that if you make a cannon such as this, please do not try to launch anything from this sort of cannon! Just use as a noisemaker.

To Big Bang. Nice job, as always! It's great to see you're still around the forums!
aturner

Postby theexp » Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:46 pm

amazing, and well crafted. Real nice.

I have a cast iron big bang cannon. It is small. I'll make a post later.
theexp

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby pyroben » Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:53 pm

very clean. I like the set up and paint. The fueling method is interesting.
pyroben

Postby GalFisk » Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:06 am

A site about acetylene safety recently: http://www.msha.gov/alerts/hazardsofacetylene.htm
I found it amusing that they specifically mention spudguns (about halfway down)
I guess with a small chamber like that and hardly any restriction to the barrel, you're not in much danger. And it looks very nice.
GalFisk

Postby BigBang » Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:28 am

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for all the comments. I'm glad to see that this cannon has generated some interest. For reference, the paint is Krylon Fusion (no surprises there). I then polished up the finish with a paper towel and some WD-40. That makes for a nice smooth and even semi-gloss finish.

I had a ton of fun with this little toy this past weekend. All the neighborhood kids wanted to see what I was shooting. It is really fun to shoot just at dusk, when you can see the cannon and the flames shooting out the front end. The flame will shoot about 8 inches past the end of the barrel. Plus the BANG is a real attention getter.

I too was concerned when I learned that Bangsite produced acetylene gas. I did some research before building the canon. I found instances of carbide cannons blowing up when the operators attempted to launch projectiles. This is, of course, very bad. However, my cannon is just a really loud noise maker. There is no projectile, and the barrel is completely unobstructed. As a result, there is little pressure buildup inside the chamber.

Here are some sites you might find interesting:
http://ray-vin.com/mus/kelly.htm
http://ray-vin.com/mus/mkii-b.pdf

As for firing, I learned a couple of things. 1) Always blow out the chamber between shots - doh, should have known that one. 2) Let the Bangsite disolve well before ignition - 15-20 seconds for a cannon this big. 3) A little flour poured into the barrel makes for some nice fake smoke.

Thanks,
BigBang
BigBang

Postby saladtossser » Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:53 am

i like the flour to smoke part, isnt flour explosive too? flour worked fine for my 2' cannon.
saladtossser

Postby Mr.Plow » Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:09 pm

flour CAN be explosive (when atomized into the air), but I've used a few times in a basic combustion with no ignition. My guess it that by the time the flour is dispersed enough to be potentially dangerous, the flame from the cannon has already disappeared. I suppose if you used a cannon with a very high C : B ratio that this would not be the case.
Mr.Plow

Postby darkghost » Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:20 pm

shorter barrel=louder.
darkghost

PreviousNext

Return to Finished Cannons