Use Your Ear Plugs!

Just build a cannon and want to show it off? Post it in here.

Postby PotatoNick » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:21 am

ya, and then the fan caught on fire and burnt through the pvc and a giant flame caught the guy on fire and his leg fell off.

On a more serious note, that is one cool cannon. any idea how many dB? does the sound have any echoing effect? I've got an itch to make one
PotatoNick

Postby BigBang » Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:35 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by PotatoNick
[br]ya, and then the fan caught on fire and burnt through the pvc and a giant flame caught the guy on fire and his leg fell off.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

LMAO

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
On a more serious note, that is one cool cannon. any idea how many dB? does the sound have any echoing effect? I've got an itch to make one

Thanks! No, I don't have any idea how many dB this little guy makes, but it is louder than any other cannon I've made. However, I do have a sound pressure meter that I use to adjust the speakers in my home theater system. Humm, a project for the weekend??

Echos? Nope.

BigBang
BigBang

Postby johnny » Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:59 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by jimmy
[br]Very nice. Really like the fueling system.

Folks are being pretty paranoid, without anything in the barrel the gun isn't going to generate much internal pressure.

When I was a kid we had a bangsite canon (the big one). The body is cast iron but the barrel was thin sheet metal help in place by a single pin. The pin could be removed so the barrel could be removed.

just wrap it in chicken wire then some duct tape and give it some paint
johnny

Postby theexp » Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:38 pm

It won't blow up. And the only thing that will stop a cannon from shooting shrapnel, is chainmail. I don't think that chicken wire will do.
theexp

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby Darth Tater » Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:20 pm

chainmail would definetly stop it, but what about some fine mesh chicken wire like material, almost like metal screen, but stronger, and then duct taped over with 4 layers of tape, i think that may do the trick, not sure just a thought.

Nice cannon btw:)

also what about a carbide cannon out of nothing but SCH 80 instead of SCH 40, and then even for added security wrap it in something like chicken wire as i described above, and then duct tape as well, do yuo guys think that would have sufficient strength to shoot projectiles out of it without it blowing up?
Darth Tater

Postby acanz » Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:57 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Darth Tater
[br]chainmail would definetly stop it, but what about some fine mesh chicken wire like material, almost like metal screen, but stronger, and then duct taped over with 4 layers of tape, i think that may do the trick, not sure just a thought.

Nice cannon btw:)

also what about a carbide cannon out of nothing but SCH 80 instead of SCH 40, and then even for added security wrap it in something like chicken wire as i described above, and then duct tape as well, do yuo guys think that would have sufficient strength to shoot projectiles out of it without it blowing up?

No.
acanz

Postby acanz » Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:58 pm

I dont know why you have this idea that chicken wire will save you but it wont do [excrement]. Unless you use metal forget a carbide cannon that shoots prjectiles.
acanz

Postby sniperjosh » Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:01 pm

hm, i would say that the less absorbing of shock waves that the material is will increase the sound produced out the end of the barrel, if the material absorbed the shock waves, less energy would be left to exit the barrel
sniperjosh

Postby SpudMonster » Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:17 pm

Metal is probably loudest. Put your ear to a peice of PVC Pipe and give it a smack with a hammer. It isn't really that loud. Try that with steel pipe, and you won't be able to hear afterwards.
SpudMonster

Previous

Return to Finished Cannons