SpudMonster Is Complete! NEW PICTURES 11/15!!!

Just build a cannon and want to show it off? Post it in here.

Postby SpudMonster » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:02 pm

<b><b>New pictures not in this post. Look down...</b></b>

The cannon, *CoughCoughSimilarToUsernameCough* Is ~7.5 feet long with an aerosol barrel, 12 feet with the propane barrel. This is a BEAST To fire and loud as hell! I LOVE IT!:)

332 C.I. chamber, interchangeable barrels (5 and 10 feet long), MAJOR Recoil!

Me by the gun
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/ ... onster.png

Chamber closeup. the toggle is for the fan.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/ ... nster2.png

Chamber fan itself, that brass nub is a female quick disconnect for the propane

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/ ... nster3.png

The underside
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/ ... nster4.png

Only an idiot would stand here!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/ ... nster5.png

The meter itself.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/ ... rMeter.png

And YES, it Is an ABS Gun.
SpudMonster

Postby saladtossser » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:11 pm

sweet, i love abs guns, and nice job with the tank holder/"controll panel"
so thats the detachable meter u were talking about...
saladtossser

Postby SpudMonster » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:12 pm

I was actually going to have onboard, but i like detachable. Propane tanks fit like a dream inside 3" ABS.
SpudMonster

Postby aetherguy881 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:49 pm

"Only an idiot would be standing here"? I sure hope you were using a tripod and a remote release for the shutter I don't think an idiot could make a cannon that nice.
aetherguy881

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby SpudMonster » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:52 pm

Hehehe. I Mean LOADED... This was with nothing...
SpudMonster

Postby Anthrax » Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:19 am

Damn.. looks good, nice shiny black :D
Anthrax

Postby TurboSuper » Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:23 am

Cool, another person who appreciates ABS. Looks very professional 8)
TurboSuper

Postby aturner » Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:57 am

Looks like a nice cannon.

I'm a big fan of detachable meters. Why did you use two ball valves on the meter? Why not just cap one end of the pipe? Are you planning to add something else on that end, and need the ball valve?

Can you tell us about the secondary tube where the BBQ and toggle switch are mounted? It looks like that pipe is 3", and would have been intended to hold your propane tank. So I am trying to understand why you might make a propane tank mount when you have a detachable meter. Is there something I'm missing?

Also, it's hard to tell from the photos, but did you tap the quick disconnect into a double think area of pipe/fitting? Or into a single thick section?

And on an unrelated note, is that a treehouse with various rope and pulleys in the background of the first photo? I don't want to get off topic, so if it is a treehouse, how about a new topic (with pictures?) in the general section. I'd like to see more about that thing.
aturner

Postby SpudMonster » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:12 pm

<br>Looks like a nice cannon.

<i>I'm a big fan of detachable meters. Why did you use two ball valves on the meter? Why not just cap one end of the pipe? Are you planning to add something else on that end, and need the ball valve?</i>

This was intended to be onboard in the beginning, with the meter pipe bolted onto the chamber. The 13" Meter pipe was going to be a PITA To get fastened on and STAY There, (i hate extra fabrication to make something look more choppy) I went to detachable. And since normal meter pipes have 2 ball valves, i bought the extra valve before i changed my mind. The interesting thing is, my regulator is also detachable because i needed 2 1/4 inch male pipe nipples and an assembled quickie was the only thing lowes had like that.

<i>Can you tell us about the secondary tube where the BBQ and toggle switch are mounted? It looks like that pipe is 3", and would have been intended to hold your propane tank. So I am trying to understand why you might make a propane tank mount when you have a detachable meter. Is there something I'm missing?</i>

In response to that, I Origionally intended to have the propane as an onboard setup. The only disadvantages were these: 1: The tank would be UPSIDE DOWN (Liquid propane!!!) When firing and metering, I Felt uncomfortable about having the tank right next to the chamber, And a peice of that conduit made it nearly impossible to get The tank in or out.

<i>Also, it's hard to tell from the photos, but did you tap the quick disconnect into a double think area of pipe/fitting? Or into a single thick section?</i>

Double thick of course.:) It actually vents RIGHT ONTO The chamber fan frame.

<i>And on an unrelated note, is that a treehouse with various rope and pulleys in the background of the first photo? I don't want to get off topic, so if it is a treehouse, how about a new topic (with pictures?) in the general section. I'd like to see more about that thing.</i>

Yes it is.:D I will be taking some pictures of it probably.

UPDATE:

I Did some damage tests tonight. This thing gives the tater about a 13-15 second hang time straight up!!! I Sent it through 1/4 inch fiberboard and then 1/2 inch plywood!!! The Plywood actually got a solid peice punched out!

Second edit: I am going to be making some substantial changes to the gun...

1: I am going to flip the side tube around so that my PALM not my Pinky takes the recoil when i fire this beast...

2: The flipped tube offers me the chance to go with onboard, which i will... BUT with a twist... It will be onboard, but easily detachable.

3: the wires will not have to be as long, resulting in a better spark, less current leaching, and less flextube!
SpudMonster

Postby SpudMonster » Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:43 pm

Okay... I am done with the detachable onboard. Turned out beautifully. I flipped the tube, chopped the wires, cut the mounting brackets, PAINTED them, and fixed up the regulator connections. You will see what I mean soon. Pictures soon to come.
SpudMonster

Next

Return to Finished Cannons