BigBang Express (Now with Dual Spark Video)

Just build a cannon and want to show it off? Post it in here.

Postby BigBang » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:06 pm

DR:
1) Got it! Teflon tape it will be. Thanks for the tip.
2) I went home last night and looked at our 2L bottles and milk jugs and found the PET/HDPE difference. I'll start saving 2L bottles and carving out burst discs.
3)I assembled my union so that the O-ring is on the barrel side. It's the O-ring that does the sealing when the union is used normally. Do you think a better seal between the chamber and burst disc could be had if I epoxy a large diameter O-ring on the chamber side of the union?

Airpress: I checked the video. It works on my end. I don't know what to do to help.

Thanks,
BigBang
BigBang

Postby x.X.Cpt.Rollhart.X.x » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:02 pm

Hey very clean cannon good job !

And Did you really pay 128$ for your gauge ?!
x.X.Cpt.Rollhart.X.x

Postby BigBang » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:57 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by x.X.Cpt.Rollhart.X.x</i>

...did you really pay 128$ for your gauge ?!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
No, not that much. I lists for $59.80. After shipping I guess it would come in at about $70 or so. I bought a couple of other things in that order and it all came to $83 and change.

I'm really fortunate to have a McMaster Carr distributer in town. I have placed orders at 3pm one day and have had the parts sitting on my desk when I come in to work the next morning. On the other hand, the temptation to buy buy buy is just so great!

Must... Resist...
BigBang

Postby SpudStuff » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:11 pm

OMG So clean. It looks like welded pipe.
SpudStuff

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby x.X.Cpt.Rollhart.X.x » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:54 pm

Hey, Can you explain how your inition system work, I looked at the post on spudfiles but I still dont understand why there is a 9V batterie and a "aa" batterie. Thank you.
x.X.Cpt.Rollhart.X.x

Postby BigBang » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:37 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><b>Originally posted by x.X.Cpt.Rollhart.X.x</b>
Hey, Can you explain how your inition system work, I looked at the post on spudfiles but I still dont understand why there is a 9V batterie and a "aa" batterie. Thank you.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I have included a sketch of the ignition circuit schematic <a href="http://www.spudfiles.com/uploader/uploadFiles/IgnitionCircuit.JPG">HERE</a>. I'm sorry for the poor quality of this image, but I was in a hurry.

The 1.5V AA battery is used to power the electronic gas grill ignitor module itself. Since I wanted to build a "universal" (i.e., useful for multiple projects) wired remote controlled ignition circuit I decided to run the ignitor switch through a 5V, 250 Ohm relay. The 9V battery is used to power the relay when both the safety switch and the push button switch are closed.

I used a series resistor to limit the voltage across the relay. I ended up using a 75 Ohm resistor which nominally drops the relay voltage to 6.9V. In practice it will be a bit less than this due to the voltage dropped across the nearly 25 foot remote control cord.

I haven't replaced either battery since I first built the circuit a couple of years ago. It takes just a quick push of the button to activate the dual sparks and so after a couple of hundred shots, there is still plenty of juice left.

BTW, I did a quick search on EBAY and found this <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/UNIVERSAL-GAS-GRILL-ELECTRONIC-IGNITOR-BOX-BRAND-NEW_W0QQitemZ250011780096QQihZ015QQcategoryZ20724QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem">UNIVERSAL IGNITOR</a> for sale. It looks like the module I bought from Sears. I bought mine for about $26 after tax and shipping. This one on EBAY can be had for about $16.50. Not bad.

Hope this helps,
Big Bang
BigBang

Postby Los Frijoles » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:40 pm

That has to be the cleanest seamless-looking cannon I have ever seen!
Los Frijoles

Postby sniperjosh » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:48 pm

that would have to be The best hybrid ive seen to date. nice work on the ignition system, has to be one of the simplest (best) ignition circuits ever - you have inspired me!

btw - any idea on what the voltage output of that thing is???
sniperjosh

Postby ybott » Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:37 pm

Sorry to bring this topic back up, but this is a truly wonderful cannon ! , it is superbly built and extremely clean. WELL DONE !!!

I hope to see videos and pictures SOON.

p.s. I challenge you to penetrate 1" (yes...1 inch) marine plywood. (i just cant do it with my baby..although a pool ball at a 3x mix did split it..but i'm talking holes here..thats what i want to see)

take care and BE SAFE !
ybott

Previous

Return to Finished Cannons