Whats more powerful? pneumatic guns or Combustion?

Just starting to spud and wonder how long your barrel should be? Want to know how to build a better cannon? This is just the place! If you think your question is one of a newcomer, please post it in here. If your question is posted elsewhere, and it's a newcomer's type question, it will be moved in here.

Postby CobraMustang » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:23 pm

Alright im new to making these guns.. but my friend is what made me start on it.. he has a hairspray/combustion gun. I read up on a lot of stuff on the home page.. practically everything. i think i seen somewhere you can get further distance with a pneumatic gun then a combustion gun. so please tell me which you think gets futher distance.. with a potato of course. and if you could, give me some tutorials on some good distance guns/ pneumatic and combuston ones.

Thx,
Brent
CobraMustang

Postby spuzi14 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:11 pm

Well I'll leave the tutorials to you (there's sticky's) but a pneumatic is more powerful obvously. You can put more pressure (more power) into it. However a monster combustion might out perform a tiny pneumatic.

I personally prefer combustions though.
spuzi14

Postby SpudStuff » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:22 pm

It all depends on the size, pressure, bore of the barrel, for a combustion fuel, and for a pneumatic the valve CV and opening time.
SpudStuff

Postby An Apple Pie » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:52 pm

So basically if you are going for a relativly compact powerful launcher then go for pneumatic. You do not have to worry about fuel just get a bike pump/compressor(reccomended if you only have a bike pump) and you are set(aside from ammo). I personally have never built a combustion and do not plan to, except maybe a hybrid in the future.

I like pneumatics because
More power
More customization(can use multi. valves etc.)
More upgradability(better valves, pilot valves, etc.)

So yeah if you are looking for a quick cheap thing that is effective than I say go for combustion. Although otherwise I personally would say go for the pneumatic.
An Apple Pie

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby spuzi14 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:33 pm

Basic combustions are incredibly simple which makes them good for the beginner. It's really up to you...
spuzi14

Postby CobraMustang » Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:31 am

ah so air potato guns gets better range then combustion huh? but... sounds more complicated to make then a combustion gun. im thinking i will just make a pretty good combustion one first.. then my second gun i make i will make a air type. how many yards do you think i can acheive with a combustion gun? like 200 yards max? if lucky lol?
CobraMustang

Postby spudproof » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:45 am

you can get mutch bigger range on it!
spudproof

Postby jimmy » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:36 am

For a basic, reasonably sized combustion gun shooting spuds, 200 yards would be a bit high for the estimate. Spudproof's "<i>you can get mutch bigger range on it!</i>" is not correct.

Some people seem to have difficulty telling the difference between feet and yards.

With a longish barrel, good c:b ratio, fuel meter, chamber fan, double beveled muzzle ... you might be able to get well over 200 yards.
jimmy

Postby bagntag » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:00 pm

I'm going to measure out the range on my Combusion and see.
bagntag

Postby TurboSuper » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:27 pm

I always liked combustions because they can deliver a very strong punch with very little cost or effort...as for range...im not too sure.
TurboSuper

Next

Return to Frequently Asked Questions aka The Newbie Corner