Whats more powerful? pneumatic guns or Combustion?

Just starting to spud and wonder how long your barrel should be? Want to know how to build a better cannon? This is just the place! If you think your question is one of a newcomer, please post it in here. If your question is posted elsewhere, and it's a newcomer's type question, it will be moved in here.

Postby spuzi14 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:40 pm

With the cannon in the build your own, I was able to loose sight of taters when shot straight up and at an angle. Althought for the angle shots I wasn't on a perfectly flat area, your results may vary.
spuzi14

Postby joannaardway » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:17 am

Not this old debate again.

In my opinion, they both have their strong and weak points.

Combustions are easier for the beginner, and after their construction, they can be upgraded more than a pneumatic (onboard propane, improved ignition, chamber fans, etc.)However, without going hybrid, then the maximum power will eventually hit a ceiling. People often prefer the reloading process of a combustion.

Pnuematics are my preference, but I'll avoid bias here.

There are far more automatic and rapid firing pneumatics than combustions. Pneumatics are more consistent and controlable.
And, typically, in my opinion, far more powerful - but they are harder to get right.

I have chucked projectiles about 1/4 mile with a low bore pneumatic, and could easily beat that figure. Most combustions would struggle to get more than about a third to a half of that.
joannaardway

Postby spudproof » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:59 pm

heey jimmy if you have a monster spudzooka you get over 200yard!

"not hate me if i rong"
spudproof

Postby SpudMonster » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:38 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by spudproof
[br]heey jimmy if you have a monster spudzooka you get over 200yard!

"not hate me if i rong"
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Spudproof, learn to read.

Jimmy said that for a basic, reasonably sized combustion gun shooting spuds, 200 yards would be a bit high for the estimate

Not

For a MAPP fueled chamber-fanned triple spark 12" diameter by 36" long chamber with a 50 foot barrel combustion gun shooting spuds, 200 yards would be a bit high for the estimate

Don't be stupid spudproof.
SpudMonster

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby shadowscion » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:12 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by SpudMonster
[br]<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by spudproof
[br]heey jimmy if you have a monster spudzooka you get over 200yard!

"not hate me if i rong"

Spudproof, learn to read.

Jimmy said that for a basic, reasonably sized combustion gun shooting spuds, 200 yards would be a bit high for the estimate

Not

For a MAPP fueled chamber-fanned triple spark 12" diameter by 36" long chamber with a 50 foot barrel combustion gun shooting spuds, 200 yards would be a bit high for the estimate

Don't be stupid spudproof.

Obviously he is not as great as english as you, lighten up.
shadowscion

Postby bagntag » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:27 pm

O.K I went out to shoot today and i cant find spuds big enough so ishot apples and they went 150-200 yards. I'll try to post video or picture. Single spark 4 inch by 1 3/4 and 3" by 3' barrel.
bagntag

Postby An Apple Pie » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:41 pm

Wait why did you use a 3" barrel. Maybe that is common for combustion(wouldn't now never built or shot one), although for shooting spuds in a pneumatic the average bore is either 1.5" or 2".

Also range is a little optimistic. Almost everybody on here overestimates the range of their guns, especially for a loose fitting projectile(I can only assume although I do not think I have ever seen a 3" apple). I am not saying your gun is crap or anything I am just saying for a simple combustion with a large bore barrel 150-200yds is a little much.

Maybe I am wrong, like I said I have never shot a combustion.
An Apple Pie

Postby bagntag » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:54 pm

i figured someone would say that, thats why i would make a video . I could shoot it and use my roller meassurer all on tape to show it. I have an orchard 1/2 mile away from the shooting range which is about 3/4 mile . i'll take a picture of that + the apples. :)I have made 2 like this and am very satisfied.Why i made it like this ------->http://www.geocities.com/pomanspaintball/bazooka.html
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c244/ ... C_4727.jpg
bagntag

Postby bagntag » Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:57 pm

Here is the is where i shoot. It is a airplane runway.
Click to make bigger.
It may take a while for dial up. (me)

http://server6.theimagehosting.com/imag ... fullsize=1
bagntag

Postby CobraMustang » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:59 pm

Hey guys thx for your good replys i appretiate it!! and bagntag im going to have to try to make that spud gun.. sounds like it shoots pretty far for a combustion.
CobraMustang

PreviousNext

Return to Frequently Asked Questions aka The Newbie Corner