Mortar[?]

Just starting to spud and wonder how long your barrel should be? Want to know how to build a better cannon? This is just the place! If you think your question is one of a newcomer, please post it in here. If your question is posted elsewhere, and it's a newcomer's type question, it will be moved in here.

Postby bagntag » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:07 pm

I would like to make a motar, but realistick version of it with a drop and blow ammo. Of course it all falls under the question can you contain hairspray or deoderent in a say a pvc cut thing with two ends capped offand a spark on one side. So when you drop it it sparks, and if you lightly glued the side on, it would blow up just like a real mortar. And also what is better for your gun... Deoderent or Hairspray
bagntag

Postby SpudStuff » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:33 pm

Hairspray is very bad. It gums up your chamber. I would use deoderent.
SpudStuff

Postby randomvictim » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:55 pm

Depending on the shape of the ammo, I would imagine it would displace almost all of the fuel as it dropped down. I don't know about your grill sparker, but if it were mine you would need a fairly heavy ammo and need to throw it down in the tube pretty hard for it to spark, and even then it is rare for mine to shoot off on the first spark.
randomvictim

Postby shadowscion » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:20 pm

I think it would be easier to make a mortar with the drop and fire mechanism with a pneumatic. Basically a chamber with a union, with an aluminum foil burst disk or some other material that a nail could easily puncture. You attach a nail to the bottom of the projectile, drop it down the barrel and it ruptures the burst disk.

http://img477.imageshack.us/img477/3236/mortarpo6.png

Of course the projectile would have to be pretty heavy, and I don't know about you but a large, heavy projectile with a long nail sticking out of it does not appeal to me, but I think it would work.
shadowscion

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby TurboSuper » Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:17 am

That doesn't sound very safe either way...make sure you dont fire it into dry grass or anything :x
TurboSuper

Postby Moach » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:30 am

you could make an electric igniter to produce a spark inside the chamber...
it would be turned on by a switch or button at the bottom of the barrel... when the projectile reaches the bottom, it would flick on the switch and hopefully ignite the gas

you would need a couple of batteries and some capacitors to hold some power to produce the spark, they would be connected to 2 electrodes inside the chamber which would create a spark between them

dont ask me about the wiring though... but it shouldnt be too hard to build
Moach

Postby TurboSuper » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:17 pm

Mabye if you had a steel ball bearing in the center of the projectile that will roll down and touch two contacts when the projectile hits the ground. That could trigger the spark, and if my knowledge of physics is correct it should stay pinned to the back end during flight.

Handling the projectile is a whole other story...as I said...not very safe.
TurboSuper

Postby bagntag » Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm

why would i ask about the wiring? Its not hard to do lol... Well heres an idea but I dont know how to keep the current going so when it drops down it fires.
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c244/Croh/32.gif

How long can hair spray be in a cylinder before it wont be the right ratio any more?
bagntag

Postby c0mpl3x » Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:23 pm

sprinkler valve with an air compressor style safety push-in BOV as a sprinkler valve trigger.. drop ammo, valve opens..
c0mpl3x

Postby bagntag » Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:02 pm

is there a non phneumatics way where i dont have to have a air compresser or bike pump. where i can go out to a field and just drop it in and bam it works rather than having to charge or spray more stuff in evrytime
bagntag

Next

Return to Frequently Asked Questions aka The Newbie Corner