ABS Combustion???

Just starting to spud and wonder how long your barrel should be? Want to know how to build a better cannon? This is just the place! If you think your question is one of a newcomer, please post it in here. If your question is posted elsewhere, and it's a newcomer's type question, it will be moved in here.

Postby EJS06 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:44 am

I am just wondering if some of you here could give me some advise on my first Spudgun build? I was unable to find 3" presure rated pvc and I was told that I could not order any either so I went ahead and used ABS instead. I have read many opinions about this but seeing as how I could not find the right pvc I decided to try it. The gun has a 3"x 12" chamber and a 3' x 1.5" Barrel. I am not looking for the most powerful gun just somthing to get me started and I will be using hairspray for fuel. I have test fired it with a taped and rolled plastic bag 2 times and it seems fine but I am a bit sketchy about loading a potato in it without some advise on my build first. thanks guys!:?:
EJS06

Postby SpudStuff » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:45 pm

Sounds good. The barrel is kinda short but that is okay. I would reccoment that you not use hairspray. It is the wors fuel. Instead use eather, starting fluid from car part stores, you will need very little. Less is more!
SpudStuff

Postby EJS06 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:06 am

Thanks Spudstuff for the reply. My sister runs a chain hair salon and they have to get rid of the product that sits to long on the floor so i figured that this would be great as she regularly throws out 20+ cans at a time and the designer stuff uses propane or butane for the propelant this would be good wouldnt it? I know about the residue left behind from the stuff but this stuff also shoots in such a fine mist I almost cant believe it, nothing like the cheap stuff. I was wondering about the barrel what would you say would be a good length? as I made this with a removable barrel so I can change it if needed.
EJS06

Postby SpudStuff » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:13 pm

You probably shouldn't use stuff like hairspray. It gums up the chamber, spark gap, and the plug threads. It dosn't have much propelent because they want to keep the small down inside. Just get a can of starting fluid and it will work for a lot of shots.
SpudStuff

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby EJS06 » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:47 am

Sounds good I will try it and see how it goes. I am going to look into getting a chamber fan also so I`m sure this will help too.
EJS06

Postby spudproof » Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:40 pm

get a little longer barrel and you get better result if you want a 1:1 witch works fine you get a 24" barrel.
spudproof

Postby c0mpl3x » Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:03 pm

i'd throw in my .02 for an over-under, if you want something simple you'd probably like something easy to move about

also

<marquee><font size=+3><b>USE ABS CEMENT!!!</b></font></marquee>

don't use pvc.. and im real sketchy about the all in one pvc/cpvs/abs cement, it likes to let go for some reason
c0mpl3x

Return to Frequently Asked Questions aka The Newbie Corner