FLONE's question redux

Just starting to spud and wonder how long your barrel should be? Want to know how to build a better cannon? This is just the place! If you think your question is one of a newcomer, please post it in here. If your question is posted elsewhere, and it's a newcomer's type question, it will be moved in here.

Postby SpudBlaster15 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:59 am

A good demonstration of jimmy's statement is Latke's C:B ratio tests using a 1.5" barrel and a .22:1 C:B ratio. Latke experienced a contraction effect as the spud tried to exit the barrel, caused by the cooling gases returning to their original density.
SpudBlaster15

Postby boilingleadbath » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:54 pm

...I'm looking at the turbulence in the <i>fuel/air</i> mixture - and it hasn't burnt (or it wouldn't be a fuel-air mixture, would it?) yet, and thus hasn't been heated very much... so, indeed, it's density at 1 atm will be about 1.5g/l, and so it'll be compressed to about 4.5g/l at the moment in time I'm considering.

Now, a couple ms later? You'd be much closer to the truth, although not perfectly, because the pressure would take time to be trasmitted back to the chamber.

OMG! <i>That</i> is why your pressure increase from this effect isn't as great as "mine"; "my" "pressure probe" is attached to the projectile, and yours is in the chamber. It takes a few ms for the gasses to switch directions and move back into the chamber and reverse your pressure curve - during which time the projectile is being propelled along, "consuming" some of those prepellent gasses in the barrel (which makes your bump smaller than mine)
boilingleadbath

Previous

Return to Frequently Asked Questions aka The Newbie Corner