Muzzle Break

Just starting to spud and wonder how long your barrel should be? Want to know how to build a better cannon? This is just the place! If you think your question is one of a newcomer, please post it in here. If your question is posted elsewhere, and it's a newcomer's type question, it will be moved in here.

Postby joannaardway » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:52 pm

This problem is easily solved with a proper stock.
Porting won't assist much in countering muzzle rise.

Put a stock on the back of the cannon, inline with the barrel (i.e. mount the stock right behind the barrel)

This prevents turning forces on the cannon, and converts all the recoil to backwards motion, rather than muzzle rise. It's why all good modern rifles have stocks directly behind the breech and raised sights.
joannaardway

Postby Arborman495 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:31 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Suppresive Fire
[br]If you are looking for accuacy, reverse port the last 3-4in of the barrel lightly then top the barrel off with a heavily ported pipe coupler.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

It's time to play...

HELP

THAT

NEWB!!

your first question is........

What does reverse porting mean?

As for the inline stock idea, thankyou. The "stock" on my gun is already mostly in line with the barrel. It seems that a good muzzle break will be the best for me. The stock idea i will use when I make My first Vortex BBMG. OOOOOOOOOOOO *sparkle *sparkle
Arborman495

Postby Suppresive Fire » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:53 pm

It's basically porting that forces the gases reward countering recoil. If you want more info check out hammerheadpaintball.com. The muzzle break on the Barret 50cal and .416 uses the same principal. A stock only will help with aim. It will not do much to counter muzzle rise as recoil will be converted to muzzle rise since the rear of the gun is in a solid state. It will make the gun more comfortable to hold and will make aiming easier.
Suppresive Fire

Postby Arborman495 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:54 pm

I get it now. Thank you.

I dissagree about the stock. I have to agree with the Brit (no offense) on this one. If you look at the tansfer between the m-14 and the m-16, it shows that a stock in line with the barrel does help.
Arborman495

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby fullmetaljacket » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:56 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">A stock only will help with aim. It will not do much to counter muzzle rise as recoil will be converted to muzzle rise since the rear of the gun is in a solid state. It will make the gun more comfortable to hold and will make aiming easier.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Not at all true, it's a feature which firearm designers have been incorporating into their designs for ages, it's hard to find a modern assault rifle that doesn't have this feature - and not just in rifles, take a look at the <a href="http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg186-e.htm">Mateba</a> revolver for example, the barrel is set low in the frame in order to reduce the tendency of the recoil wanting to make the gun rotate upwards around the shooter's hand.
fullmetaljacket

Postby Suppresive Fire » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:29 pm

exactly, If the stock is in line with the barrel it reduces the amount the gun "jumps". If the barrel is above the level of the stock then even more recoil is transfered to muzzle jump. Both however convert reward recoil into varying degrees of muzzle jump.
Suppresive Fire

Postby fullmetaljacket » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:20 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">A stock only will help with aim. It will not do much to counter muzzle rise as recoil will be converted to muzzle rise since the rear of the gun is in a solid state.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

followed by

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">exactly, If the stock is in line with the barrel it reduces the amount the gun "jumps".<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Aren't you contradicting yourself?
fullmetaljacket

Postby Numbuh 16 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:42 pm

OKAY. EVERYONE STOP.

To answer his question, he doesn't exactly need a Muzzle Brake. What he DOES need is a compensator.

If you are feeling lazy, just drill holes in the end of the top side of the barrel. Or, add on a coupler with holes drilled in the top. I would personally just slap on a coupler, because I don't have all the implements I would need to accurately (and effectively) port the barrel. Also, putting on a threaded coupler adds the option of using a suppressor instead of a compensator.

Also, on the first page, The AK-47 does not use a slanted and shortened barrel. The AK-74 does. Although, if I were in a battle, I would prefer the guy next to me to use a '47, because the brake on the '74 makes a mean side blast. Don't want to stand next to that mother.
Numbuh 16

Postby Arborman495 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:56 pm

Is the compensator the one they stuck on the thopmson for its recoil up and to the side.

That is what I am thinking. Coupler, 6 inches of pipe with holes in the top.
I think that the tee would help too. I will test them on my other spudguns to see which one I like best.
Arborman495

Postby Suppresive Fire » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:33 pm

1- I said that a stock helps not that it won't work
2- A muzzle brake and a Compensator are essentialy the same thing, just different names.
Suppresive Fire

PreviousNext

Return to Frequently Asked Questions aka The Newbie Corner