Solenoid Valve Mod Problem

Just starting to spud and wonder how long your barrel should be? Want to know how to build a better cannon? This is just the place! If you think your question is one of a newcomer, please post it in here. If your question is posted elsewhere, and it's a newcomer's type question, it will be moved in here.

Postby UnrealityisReal » Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:12 pm

Ok I modded my first solenoid valve and I replaced the solenoid with 2 ton epoxy. I filled the port where the solenoid was located and it dried for several days. When I pressure tested it today I found there was a leak right in the center of the epoxy glue. Does anyone have any advice on how i can fix this leak? (sorry if I am repeating a topic that was already posted... that's why I put it in the noob section)
UnrealityisReal

Postby plasticex009 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:37 pm

The Common Questions fourm isn't for questions such as these. To fill the leak, use more epoxy.
plasticex009

Postby pacogoatboy » Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:40 pm

I would first suggest locating any and all holes by submerging the valve, if that is possible. That way, if you've got another hole that you don't see right off, you can patch it at the same time.

A good way to start sealing the holes is by dismantling the valve, then sealing the solenoid hole from the inside with electrical tape. It pulls of easily and usually allows some of the epoxy to leak through a bit, forming a plug on the inside of the valve.

Once you've got a leak, there are several things you can try:
1. Is there any more room in the solenoid to try filling it deeper?

2. You can take the valve apart and seal the solenoid hole from the inside. Try using a relatively thin layer of epoxy, 1/16" or so, spread very wide over the hole. It ought to cure in a day or so, depending on the type of epoxy you use. This won't interfere with your diaphragm movement but will usually fix a leak. Silicone caulk or RTV gasket maker is good for this sort of thing as well. By sealing from inside, the leak will tend to push the plug shut. Make sure that any sealant goes into your solenoid vent hole.

3. Last resort methods: The leak would have to be from the vent hole above the diaphragm, though it could be travelling through bubbles in the epoxy to get out... If it is small enough and your epoxy isn't brittle, you might be able to screw a screw into the hole and stop it up (use teflon tape around the screw.) If this doesn't work, you could try drilling out the leak and carefully filling that new hole with epoxy.
pacogoatboy

Postby UnrealityisReal » Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:27 pm

Thanks for the advice. I posted this here because I thought it was a noob question; sorry about that. I do believe the air is traveling through bubbles in the epoxy due to wear the leak is coming from (I've already submersed the valve). I'll try to seal it from the inside and i hope that works.
UnrealityisReal

Sponsored

Sponsor

Return to Frequently Asked Questions aka The Newbie Corner