Air

Just starting to spud and wonder how long your barrel should be? Want to know how to build a better cannon? This is just the place! If you think your question is one of a newcomer, please post it in here. If your question is posted elsewhere, and it's a newcomer's type question, it will be moved in here.

Postby Anthrax » Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:45 am

hello,
I saw all kinda spudguns, but do you need gas for the explosion? Or do you guys only use air? I used gas but can you use a simple bicycle pump too? Does the air explode? I'm a newbie :), zo plz help!
Anthrax

Postby theexp » Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:15 am

K
there are 2 differant types of spudguns, Pnuematics, which run off compressed air, in a chamber, but when the valve is openede the compressed air pushes the ammo out.
THEN..
THere is Combustions (Most people will make a basic combusiton 1rst)
THey are guns where there is some sort of fuel (propane, right guard etc.) in the chamber, and there is some form of sparker in the chamber (BBQ ignitor, Lantern Spaker, Stun gun, or other modified things. When you put the fuel in and hit the ignitor it will light the fuel, expanding it making the hot gasses push they potatoes out of the barrel
theexp

Postby tatorassassinator » Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:17 am

theexp said it perfectly. :D
tatorassassinator

Postby Anthrax » Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:18 am

So if you put air with a bicycle pump in the gun, how can you make it put the ammo out?
and this one http://www.spudtech.com/images/products ... pecial.jpg ,is that an air-gun or gas-gun? en what is the green thing
Anthrax

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby PotatoNick » Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:30 am

that is an air gun, which is known as a "pneumatic", notice the sprinklervalve on it(the green thing)? when you have compressed air it is a higher pressure than the surroundings so it wants to escape, so you make a chamber for the air with a valve on the end and attach a barrel. you put your ammo in the barrel, fill the chamberwith compressed air while the valve is closed, then you open the valve. The higher pressure air will want to escape and will go out the barrel pushing your ammo.
PotatoNick

Postby tatorassassinator » Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:44 am

there is one other valve you could use. Its called a ball valve. Just thread the valve to the barrel and chamber. When air is put into the chamber and there is enough psi (pounds per square inch) just turn the valve handle to let out air. Sprinkler valves are better and cost only a few $$ more. In my opinion Pneumatics are better than combustions
tatorassassinator

Postby theexp » Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:47 am

meh, it all depends on what you like, where you live and how much money you have to spend.
lol
I like combustions, becuase they are loud, mean, and they envovle explosions, a bit more like a real cannon. But i have never made a pnuematic, i am hoping to make one soon tho.
theexp

Postby tatorassassinator » Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:52 am

you should theexp. They're awesome. I built a combustion and i liked the noise but not how far it shot the projectile. My pneumatic shoots golf balls out of sight. Man i love em. Going to make a pb sniper. Parents are paying for the supplies for a confirmation present.
tatorassassinator

Postby Anthrax » Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:03 am

In what kind of shops can you get a valve?
Anthrax

Postby PotatoNick » Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:12 am

first off, do not get a ball valve, mod a sprinkler there very easy to mod. you can get valves at lowes or home depot.
PotatoNick

Next

Return to Frequently Asked Questions aka The Newbie Corner