Propane and Oxygen

Post questions and info about combustion (flammable vapor) powered launchers here. This includes discussion about fuels, ratios, ignition systems and anything else relevant to launchers powered by igniting things like hairspray or propane.

Postby DanielS » Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:58 am

DR: Thank you very much for the help. I suspected that it would not work the same. However, since I already bought all the parts,I will affix the oxygen bottle to the deck with random hoses running every which way just to say that I have nitrous on my scooter;). Thanks for saving me a lot of trouble!
DanielS

Postby rsgpit » Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:05 pm

Benstern it can combust in a Fluorine enviroment. C3H8+F2= CF4 + HF. MEH Im gonna go get a bottle of flourine and go make a steel hybrid fluorine cannon. BEHMEH.
rsgpit

Postby benstern » Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:08 pm

I don't believe that would be considered as combustion!
Also i don't think you would like to be even close to anhydrous Hydrofluoric Acid concidering that it is the most powerful acid.
benstern

Postby rsgpit » Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:05 pm

Nope, HBr acid is. HF is not considered a strong acid, It just poisions you. Strong inorganic acids
Hydrobromic acid
Hydrochloric acid
Hydroiodic acid
Nitric acid
Sulfuric acid
Perchloric acid

Medium to weak inorganic acids
Boric acid
Carbonic acid
Chloric acid
Hydrofluoric acid
Phosphoric acid
Pyrophosphoric acid
Oxalic acid

Weak organic acids
Acetic acid
Benzoic acid
Butyric acid
Citric acid
Formic acid
Lactic acid
Malic acid
Mandelic acid
Methanethiol
Propionic acid
Pyruvic acid
Valeric acid

Right from wikipedia.
rsgpit

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby natedawg191 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:50 pm

Learned from Trial and SERIOUS ERROR never use straight oxygen mixed with propellant. Tried it, thankfully we had a 40 foot trigger cord or i wouldn't have hands. curious what material would propely contain this explision though? anyone?
natedawg191

Postby Icesoda » Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:41 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by natedawg191
[br]Learned from Trial and SERIOUS ERROR never use straight oxygen mixed with propellant. Tried it, thankfully we had a 40 foot trigger cord or i wouldn't have hands. curious what material would propely contain this explision though? anyone?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Anything that is strong enough of course. Pvc will work, but not sch40. Maybe not even sch80. Steel will work, if it's thick enough. Wood will will work, if it's thick enough.

It's all about the tensile strength to thickness ratio. Basically.
Icesoda

Postby keysd » Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:35 pm

I have tried it and would NOT recommend it unless your are using remote ignition. I made a launcher to fire a paint ball with a 21 Cubic inch chamber. I had just finished my propane metering system and was not having any luck. I tried a little O2 and 30 psi of propane in a 5 inch meter. BAAAM, it kicked like a shotgun and blew the paintball barrel off the front on the gun. I have not tried it since.

I would like to play with O2 again but not without some precautions. I am pretty sure the gun would have blown up if it was made with PVC.
keysd

Previous

Return to Combustion Launchers