Oxy-Acetylene.

Post questions and info about combustion (flammable vapor) powered launchers here. This includes discussion about fuels, ratios, ignition systems and anything else relevant to launchers powered by igniting things like hairspray or propane.

Postby boilingleadbath » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:26 pm

sgort:
It's called an estimator for a reason, but EVBEC doesn't agree with you; the current system outpreforms your suggestion by 36%. (by energy)
boilingleadbath

Postby matti » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:57 am

"Unless your welding is pressure-vessel certified, I wouldn't recommend using oxy-acetylene.

If you're concerned about sparks, use a bonding strap between the chamber and cap."

"A blend of gas and O2 set to cut metal makes a very potent explosion"

These two sentances made me laugh.
1 Personally for the fillet welds I'd pre-heat the spot were you plan on starting your weld with an O/A torch to help avoid any cold spots which could cause a weak spot and could crack under pressure, use MIG 50/50 CO2/argon mix for maximum penitration, on any streight peices if the equipment was avalible SAW (submurged arc welding).

2.Anyone in the fabrication industry as you have pointed out you are would know that the torch heats the metal up to some 3000 degrese centigrade and turns the metal into a molten pudel before being blasted with oxygen to cut a hole, you really think this is going to happen in under a second? I don't think so.

C'mon guys the oxygen bottles used store around 2000 PSI and are submurged arc welded, you really think that oxy/acetylene mix in a steel cannon would reach that pressure?? I do not condone this type of mix in a steel cannon made by someone who dose not know better.someone who dose well thats a diffrent story.
matti

Postby Navigator7 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:27 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by matti
"A blend of gas and O2 set to cut metal makes a very potent explosion".....Navigator7

These two sentances made me laugh.
1 Personally for the fillet welds I'd pre-heat the spot were you plan on starting your weld with an O/A torch to help avoid any cold spots which could cause a weak spot and could crack under pressure, use MIG 50/50 CO2/argon mix for maximum penitration, on any streight peices if the equipment was avalible SAW (submurged arc welding).<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I got no problem with your comments so far....

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">2.Anyone in the fabrication industry as you have pointed out you are would know that the torch heats the metal up to some 3000 degrese centigrade and turns the metal into a molten pudel before being blasted with oxygen to cut a hole, you really think this is going to happen in under a second? I don't think so.~Matti<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I think you have missed the point. I have as much steel fab experience as anyone.
I'm happy you laughed...but are laughing for the wrong reason.

You put a mixture of 02 and acetylene from a torch set up to cut steel, into a chamber...and ignite it....do it on your own time.

I stand behind my claim....it's friggen insane to try that without plenty of earth between you and the vessel.
Navigator7

Postby c0mpl3x » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:58 pm

just use a damn tank bottle for a chamber...
c0mpl3x

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby joannaardway » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:17 am

If I get out my Book of Data for my chemistry course, there is a small "E" in the notes column of Ethyne/Actylene.

This E means Highly Explosive. Not merely flammable - Explosive.

It produces a super-sonic shockwave that the air cannot outrun, meaning that the air in front of the shockwave is compressed to incredible levels.
That compression auto-ignites futher actyelene.
Essentially, within 1 millisecond, the entire contents of the chamber have burnt. Release that incredible pressure that fast, and you've got a serious problem. It's so fast that nothing can move out of the way.
The moment that compressed air and shockwave reaches the chamber walls, they will be blasted to pieces because of the curved shock faces.

It's highly explosive in air. In pure oxygen, then it's even more dangerous - the rate of combustion and the energy produced are both much higher. Meaning a bigger explosion.

Don't think that big explosions are good. Instead of firing you, it'll fire the chamber walls out like a grenade.

People have done it before, but it's not good to do - it still carries a lot of risk.
joannaardway

Previous

Return to Combustion Launchers