Putting the ignightor on the cap

Post questions and info about combustion (flammable vapor) powered launchers here. This includes discussion about fuels, ratios, ignition systems and anything else relevant to launchers powered by igniting things like hairspray or propane.

Postby chopperman » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:43 pm

I was wondering in order to get a good burn, would it be better to put the BBq ignitor on the screw cap so that when it sparks and and burns it starts from the back and then towards the barrel giving a nice burn. Is there any bad things about having it there.
chopperman

Postby spudproof » Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:39 pm

YES if you one day look down the barrel off a loded gun and place it on the ground!! BANG an you may not get upp again baad!
spudproof

Postby sharpshooter » Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:18 pm

position of the ignitor depends on the speed that you need the combustion to take place in. For a shorter barrel, and faster combustion would be better so that all the fuel is used by the time the projectile leaves the barrel. A longer barrel would probably benifit from an ignitor placed farther back. Generally, I would place the ignitor in the back half of the chamber, but not on the threaded cap. The cap is usually weaker, if the cleanout blows, having your hand on it is going to leave you in a world of hurt. If the ignitor can be mounted in an area that has a double layer of PVC (like a coupler or and on the female adapter that is glued to the chamber), the chamber will be less likely fail.
sharpshooter

Postby jimmy » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:48 am

Sharpshooter put it pretty well. Putting the ignitor in weakest part of gun directly in line with your hand is not a good idea (even though you see it done frequently).
jimmy

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby Flying Salt » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:18 pm

Don't put a BBQ ignitor flat on the chamber anywhere, it will fly off and hit you. You nees some wires. And as sharp said, the cap is weaker.
Flying Salt

Postby BigBang » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:45 pm

Hang on a minute. Chopperman, wasn't it you who posted the topic two days ago about the endcap blowing out of your gun? Not to be sarcastic, but I'm surprised you would even consider putting the ignitor back there.

Now, I've never had an endcap blow out, but I've always believed that was the weakest point in all my guns. I never rest the cap on my knee, or even let anyone stand directly behind me. I consider that to be the second most dangerous point in the gun - the first, of course, being the business end of the barrel.

There are some (including me, I suppose) who believe that putting the ignition point well to the rear <i>may</i> increase performance - especially in guns with long chambers. If you want a rearward ignition point, put it in the double walled section of your chamber where you cemented the cleanout to the main chamber tubing. You'll get all the benefits (if there are any), and also keep things safe.

Happy Thanksgiving,
BigBang
BigBang

Postby chopperman » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:28 am

Yup I didnt post that about the cap blowing off. But that was after I already mounted the ignitor on the chamber.
chopperman

Return to Combustion Launchers