Cap keeps blowing off

Post questions and info about combustion (flammable vapor) powered launchers here. This includes discussion about fuels, ratios, ignition systems and anything else relevant to launchers powered by igniting things like hairspray or propane.

Postby Mr.Plow » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:40 pm

So is it actually fragmenting, or is the cap simply popping off?

From the sounds of it, my prediction is you've got a slightly oversized female adapter. Either that or you're picking from a stock of bad endcaps, which I doubt.
Mr.Plow

Postby jimmy » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:18 pm

How far is the cap threading into the fitting? I think you need at least several full turns on the cap.

Is there any side-to-side play in the cap when it is screwed on? Have you cleaned up the threads of both parts, or at least checked for a significant mold flash? Perhaps the cap is not screwing in very far because of mold flash or other problem with the threads.

Try using teflon tape on the threads and a wrench to tighten it in place. Give it at least four full turns (six would be better). The teflon tape will reduce the chances of permanently freezing the screw plug in the adaptor.
jimmy

Postby BigBang » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:55 pm

Wow, I've never blown off a cleanout cap. Not even with the Crusader. The female threads look a bit charred. You can prevent that by wrapping the end cap with a few turns of teflon tape. That will seal up any gas leaks, and make it both easier to screw the cap into the cleanout, and remove it after firing.
BigBang

Postby chopperman » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:44 pm

Well I did burn the threads a couple of times because it didnt shoot and then I took off the cap and sparked it and it went on fire, like this happened 2-3 times. Ill take a look at it later. Thanks
chopperman

Sponsored

Sponsor

Previous

Return to Combustion Launchers