Mortar

Post questions and info about combustion (flammable vapor) powered launchers here. This includes discussion about fuels, ratios, ignition systems and anything else relevant to launchers powered by igniting things like hairspray or propane.

Postby viaton » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:27 pm

Hellou, I'm building my very own and first spudgun, as you say it. Personally I have newer heard about it.. That might be because I live in Finland.
I would build the spudgun as a mortar type, fireing bb:s / paintballs.
Im trying to build a mortar typed spudgun, firing from 40degrees angle bb:s to ~130feet. Thats the distance that I should go for. I would be using propane as a fuel :)

Has anyone tried to shoot bb:s / paintballs with their spudgun?

Im totally a newbie building a spudgun, but im learning all the time.
I would appreciate all the advices considering this mortar project.
It should fire 300? 6mm airsoft bb:s to ~100feet long / or paintballs.
If I need to build shell to protect invidual bb:s from wind, any advices building it.
How long pipe ?
how much propane?
Ps, i would use the gun at summertime, +15-25celsius. Not now when we got -40c minus.
Thank you already!
viaton

Postby FLONE » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:12 pm

There is a lot of information in the Spudtech Forums regarding paintball guns. Look a while with the search function and I think you will find more than you imagined. My personal experience is that the paintballs hold up better if you use a patch to protect the paintball from the rough surfaces of the barrel. At higher speeds the paintball tends to disintegrate inside the barrel. That's OK if you want to paint the inside of your barrel.
FLONE

Postby viaton » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:48 pm

Yes thanks, finally got the search thing working. Well I made a prototype, paintballs wont work. I must focuse to use BB:s or dryed peas, (dunno the exact pronouncion.) At weekend im going to build the full steel mortar, im trying to update some photos after it.

Plan: Build a 1:1 lightmortar. Barrel will be 4" thick and 1,4meters long.
It will launch bb:s with the help of propane.
It will fire 200-400bb:s
It should fire bb:s over 100meter with no more than 45degrees
viaton

Postby FLONE » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:56 pm

That sounds like a lot of ordnance for BB's. Would love to see pics as you go. Sure you wouldn't consider a 3" schedule 40 PVC chamber about 6" long with a 3/4" schedule 40 PVC barrel about 60" using patched paintballs?
FLONE

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby viaton » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:09 pm

Sorry my poor english. But yes, thats a lot of trouble for shooting some bb's to forrest.
Patched paintballs.. We might try those also.
Thanks for those measures, unfortunately we must make that thing from metal, whats the fun carrying mortar that weights ~2kg ? nothing, it must be nearly 20kg :)

Okay the chamber will be 3" thick,6"long. theres a chamber fann installed and a ignition system of some kind.
fuel = propane.
shell=3"thick, 6"long includes as many bb's as possible. Shell's bottom is made from paper, so it seals propane to the chamber. And after fired gas will blow through the shell and give flying power to bb's. Meaby putting a foam disk to bottom also helps to increase power..

barrell will be 60" long.
Im sorry but i didnt understand the 3/4" schedule, I have a glue, but I am not certain.

Thanks wery much for advices:)
viaton

Postby FLONE » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:47 am

I noticed you picked up on the airsoft mortar pics on the finished cannon page. That might be more informative than I was. Good luck and be safe!!
FLONE

Postby viaton » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:27 am

yea, I picked it up. But since im a noobie building spud guns I'm going to make simple propane working one first. Just to see how long those bb's can fly. I saw video on where boys were shooting tennisballs using hairspray and those flew nearly 300yards. So im trying out simple spudgun, using propane, putting foamrocket at the bottom to keep bb's at place.

After that im gonna build pneumatic one. Ill try to be safe thanks ;D
viaton

Postby FLONE » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:43 pm

Make sure you look around at the pics and info available. A lot of the people on the forum have helped me understand a lot of stuff. That translates into saving time and money. Utilize the resources that SGTC has established.
FLONE

Return to Combustion Launchers