Air Vent Question (New Pic's) Please Look

Post questions and info about combustion (flammable vapor) powered launchers here. This includes discussion about fuels, ratios, ignition systems and anything else relevant to launchers powered by igniting things like hairspray or propane.

Postby markfh11q » Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:14 am

I LOVE innovative ideas such as this. So basically this is a big check valve? I think if the spring were light enough and your fan blades were close enough to the walls of the chamber, this thing would open automatically when the fan was switched on. If so, that's genious! The longest wait when I'm reloading my launcher is getting that cleanout cap unscrewed to vent. I tried Sgort's ball-valve idea one night when I was bored, but the only large ball valve I have is 2", and it's WAY to stiff to use normally.

So these are custom dealios? If so, how are they constructed?
markfh11q

Postby Robcsmall » Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:44 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by markfh11q
[br]I LOVE innovative ideas such as this. So basically this is a big check valve? I think if the spring were light enough and your fan blades were close enough to the walls of the chamber, this thing would open automatically when the fan was switched on. If so, that's genious! The longest wait when I'm reloading my launcher is getting that cleanout cap unscrewed to vent. I tried Sgort's ball-valve idea one night when I was bored, but the only large ball valve I have is 2", and it's WAY to stiff to use normally.

So these are custom dealios? If so, how are they constructed?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yes these are custom casted. The lighter load springs may open the rubber plug slightly. I was more concerned with the plug being properly seated when fired. I did not want to have to physically look every time, before I fired.

Cracking the seal on the rubber plug by hand is fast and easy.

I can not take full credit for all these CUSTOM parts! I just make them. DR and Mr.Plow are the brains here! The ideas are either theirs directly or inspired by them.

I have only given them a new tool. Look out!!! These guys are hot on the ideas list! Keep an eye out for some really cool shit!
Robcsmall

Postby Robcsmall » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:59 pm

I have had a chance to try it.......... It works wonderfully. As soon a I paint; I have three launchers to post.

Thanks All for the help.
Robcsmall

Postby Mr.Plow » Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:06 pm

Rob- That is really impressive. I can't wait to see more pictures, video, etc or just a good evaluation. How do they do after multiple shots? Any deformation or scortching? Is the valve seal/gasket affected significantly? I'm eager to find out how well they hold up in the long run. My head is just spinning... I'm finally getting a grasp of what you can do with this plastics stuff.

As my uncle would say, "YerrafrikkinJEANyus!" :D
Mr.Plow

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby Navigator7 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:04 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Robcsmall
Any thoughts on safety on this.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Why not test as you would a pressure vessel?
1.5 times higher than max working pressure.
Navigator7

Postby Robcsmall » Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:43 pm

There was only one problem..... I needed to have a positive stop for the rubber plug. The first few times I fired the cannon. (Buy the way... placing a plastic cup in a 3" barrel, breach loaded, lodging it in real good. Acts like a burst dusk. Frickin loud !) The forces generated tried to extrude the rubber plug through the back orifice. By placing 3 nuts after the rubber plug created the positive stop, while still allowing a perfect seal. 25 additional shots and the parts still works and looks new.....
Robcsmall

Previous

Return to Combustion Launchers