16's finally building one!

Post questions and info about combustion (flammable vapor) powered launchers here. This includes discussion about fuels, ratios, ignition systems and anything else relevant to launchers powered by igniting things like hairspray or propane.

Postby Madprofessor1775 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:15 pm

Its absolutely legal as long as you don't do anything stupid with it. Destroying property or disturbing the peace will make it illegal very quickly.

If its going to be classified as a firearm, than their might be an age restriction, so be aware of that. It may require you to be with an adult.

To be honest, if you want to clarify things, just make a simple call to your local sheriff's department and ask. Sometimes they can be a dick and tell you everything is illegal in their county, but they are usually helpful. Simply ask him his position on spud guns and your responsible use of them.

Also, I have a degree in computer networking and part of my job is securing networks for the Air Force, I'm sure no matter what, my CPU will be just fine ;)
Madprofessor1775

Postby Numbuh 16 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:42 pm

Right..........
Numbuh 16

Postby Madprofessor1775 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:47 pm

Go build your launcher, you'll be fine.
Madprofessor1775

Postby Mr.Plow » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:14 pm

I'm not so sure...
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Possessing a potato gun is a third-degree felony in Texas.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
http://www.spudtech.com/content.asp?id=16

Whether or not he cares to risk it, that's completely his decision to make.
Mr.Plow

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby FLONE » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:28 am

And the reality is if you get involved with the legal process it costs you time and money regardless of the outcome. And then you have a record of some kind, your name is in the computer. Right or wrong, you pay. Keep it below the radar and you can do lots of stuff.
FLONE

Postby Numbuh 16 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:35 pm

Oh shit.

That scraps ALL my plans. ='(

Well, I guess I'm going to stay with the site for a bit longer. But soon, I'll have to phase potatoguns out of my life. It's been a great run guys, but it's just too risky.
Numbuh 16

Postby FLONE » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:54 pm

I've looked at the local ordinances where I live. The definition of firearms does not involve spudguns (fixed ammo) but it is regulated as a firearm (any projectile) to include BB Guns. Go figure.
So I go somewhere else to play.
FLONE

Postby fullmetaljacket » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:03 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">That scraps ALL my plans. ='(

Well, I guess I'm going to stay with the site for a bit longer. But soon, I'll have to phase potatoguns out of my life. It's been a great run guys, but it's just too risky.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Don´t be such a quitter - as long as you´re discreet and don´t use your creations to commit a felony, you have nothing to worry about.
fullmetaljacket

Postby Numbuh 16 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:57 pm

Now I feel like a complete moron. XD

Even though combustions must be fazed out of my plans, I can STILL try for a Mach 1 golfball pneumatic. Also, BB guns are legal in my area, so pneumatics are fine. Except only out of city limits.... which is pretty close by, and there is a nice sized feild near here. Although, i'm still going to fit a supressor onto it....

If I ever get the money to build it, that is. =)
Numbuh 16

Postby SkweezMyCheez » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:24 pm

supressor = more illegal

make the barrel longer.

also, mach 1 is impossible without some serious work including a very quickly opening valve that does not restrict flow, very low friction, and a gas that is somehow less dense than air, whether it is heated air, or a lighter gas such as helium. Oh, and substantial pressure will be needed.
SkweezMyCheez

PreviousNext

Return to Combustion Launchers