Wadding List: Post ideas here:

Post questions and info about things you have launched or thought about launching. No posts about explosive projectiles!

Postby boogieman » Fri Aug 01, 2003 12:25 am

<b> <h3>The purpose of this thread is to gather common wadding material and possible list pros and cons. </h3> </b>
Perfect Wadding for 1.5" sch 40 = milk jug caps. They are great, you can launch anything on top of them, anything from popcorn seeds to snow to wood to soup... (ya ya i know i talk about these all the time :))
boogieman

Postby orangekid13 » Fri Aug 01, 2003 1:21 am

Last summer after i built my first gun, the perfect wadding for shooting very undersized apples was paper towels. It gave a great seal, fell to the ground to use again, and only got messed up when it stewed in the fumes overnight, and i got a bad fuel mixture. There was a slow burn on the bottom two layers, but nothing bad due to the lack of oxygen. I've also used them around and under water baloons. around to ease friction, and under because that's where the extra ended up.

Very cheap, easy to aquire, and will draw absolutely no attention. hehe
orangekid13

Postby boogieman » Fri Aug 01, 2003 1:24 am

One more wad... Plastic grocery bags, work great and can be reused many many times.
boogieman

Postby Wolf » Fri Aug 01, 2003 3:14 am

Plastic grocery bags, styrofoam cups, those small paper cups are a great fit in a 2" barrel, or if the ammo it heavy, like a 3 foot wooden rod, I just cut some thin wood to the diameter of the barrel
Wolf

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby chewy » Fri Aug 01, 2003 4:58 am

i have allways patched balls years of shooting black powdermade it a habit with spud guns patch thikness is not as fussy you put a layer or layers of cloth depending on size of bore and barrel across the muzzle and lay ball on top when you push the ball in it should be snug when top of ball is even with top of barrel take a knife and cut exes cloth off then seat your ball like normal if you have to hammer the ball in your patch is to thick i would love to have a rifeld golf ball barrel the patch grabs the rifleing and imparts spin on the ball patchig gives a great even seal i cant get all of thoes poor neuterd mice from earleyer post out of my mind this does not work with slugs abought mice goto page 2 under mouse balls if you patch oblong objects the patching starts bunching up and jams the bore
chewy

Postby GalFisk » Fri Aug 01, 2003 1:31 pm

Punctuation and capitalization increases comprehensation, please use it from now on...
For everybody's convenience, punctured and captioned it looks like this:
I have always patched balls, years of shooting black powder made it a habit. With spud guns patch thikness is not as fussy, you put a layer or layers of cloth, depending on size of bore and barrel, across the muzzle and lay the ball on top. When you push the ball in it should be snug. When the top of the ball is even with the top of the barrel, take a knife and cut execss cloth off, then seat your ball like normal. If you have to hammer the ball in your patch is to thick. I would love to have a rifeld golf ball barrel, the patch grabs the rifling and imparts spin on the ball. Patchig gives a great even seal.
I cant get all of those poor neutered mice from earlier post out of my mind. [what, where? And why?] This does not work with slugs.
GalFisk

Postby corncob909 » Fri Aug 01, 2003 6:02 pm

i remember i used that green styrofoam meant for those fake flowers once. You know that stuff that you stick the stems into and you always are tempted to poke it and leave the imprint of you finger or hands in it? Yea i had some of that laying around after a school project and it seemed to work pretty well for wadding. if you have a section of it, you can just push it over the barrel and the barrel cuts the correct size and shape right out. :)
corncob909

Postby andeh » Sun Aug 03, 2003 11:53 pm

duct tape w/ foam balls in the middle, you can get a big bag for bean bags for pretty cheap.
andeh

Postby plasticex009 » Mon Aug 04, 2003 5:59 pm

I used 2" thick blue insulation foam to make a sabot for a combustion cannon I made out of a cardboard tube. I cut three circles the I.D. of the barrel and glued them together. Wrapped in duct tape, it weighed at most 10 grams.
plasticex009

Postby chewy » Tue Aug 05, 2003 6:07 am

shot cup for a 12ga works great in .75in put 2or3 5/8 marbles and put a wadd on top beveled base seals great get at sporting good stores pretty cheep and are reusable also mt 20ga shot shells in .75 safe shooting
chewy

Next

Return to Ammo Discussions