Big Steel Darts

Post questions and info about things you have launched or thought about launching. No posts about explosive projectiles!

Postby KlugeBoy » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:12 pm

I tried out a new Dart design today. We took a 3/8" x 10" carriage bolt, cut off the head and sharpened it to a nice point. Then we used two 2.25" rubber washers and four 1.5 steel washers with a 5" piece of 1/2" PVC as a spacer. Bolted it all together and tested one on a Monitor (complete destruction of both the dart and the monitor) and another on a 4' long 2 x 12 (which we nearly split in two).

I posted a video on on Break here:
http://my.break.com/Media/View.aspx?ContentID=182506

There is a large format version on my home page here:
http://klugeboy.net/Movies/Movies.html ("Big Steel Darts")

If anyone has any ideas on how to improve the design please let me know! It worked pretty well but I get dead monitors from work all the time and I need new ammo ideas.

Thanks!
KlugeBoy

Postby SpudStuff » Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:37 pm

Looks very destructive!I made some out of 1.125" Diameter Rebar, that were like little bullers ~4" long. They punctures an old printer!
SpudStuff

Postby sharpshooter » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:21 pm

I have been looking into more devestating ammo for a while now, there are 2 things i have learned that make the best kinetic energy weapons. 1) In the barrel the biggest diameter, lightest projectile will go the fastest, and 2) in the air the densest, most areodynamic will lose the least speed. That being said, i would try to base your ammo as closely as possible to the shells for the big gun on a tank. If you can make some sort of fins, it will fly straight and bend itself into a "J" wen it hits somthing, and a sabot will make your ammo have less wind resistance in flight. A harder material will also make it more devestating since your ammo will not deform (as much) requiering(sp?) the target to take the punishment.
sharpshooter

Postby Boomer » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:32 am

I must say, that is a damn good projectile, but what were you expecting when you saw the bent up tip? potato gun + long thin metal = bent. i like it though, in fact i might make something similar to that, but to fit in smaller pipe.
Boomer

Sponsored

Sponsor

Return to Ammo Discussions