Scream'in Pete Plaster Projectile

Post questions and info about things you have launched or thought about launching. No posts about explosive projectiles!

Postby Navigator7 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:44 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by fullmetaljacket
[br]<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">FMJ~ LOL....your keen aerodynamic observations are overwhelmed by your positive support. Thanks. ;-) It'd fit in a 10" barrel.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Forgive me, the thought of a ballistic cottage was simply irresistable :D

Now that you´ve got the system running, might I make a design suggestion - instead of trying to reinvent the wheel, why not look to existing projectiles designed to be fired from smoothbore barrels for inspiration?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I got a good laugh from your comments.

All good links you have ....and good ideas.

I'm leaning towards clunkier plaster molds as the launch process might strip the fins from the projectile.

My plaster slugs survived but they were just cylinders.
Plaster fins may not.

My first day on the road...with that "aerodynamic house model" netted me my first sale.
So now I got work to do.
Navigator7

Postby Freefall » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:18 pm

As a projectile, might I suggest a two-piece mold for something similar in shape to the green mortar in FMJ's first link, but with four longer, much thicker fins and six divots in the nose (as slightly more than half-submerged spheres) to hold paintballs, and sized for a 2" barrel?

(rendering to follow later)
Freefall

Postby InvisibleAndThenSome » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:50 pm

This sounds like a brilliant prospect. I can't wait to see what kind of stuff you start producing.

Back in the days of CAD soap molds, I designed a mold for 2" rounds that could be made on a CNC machine (never did, the teacher wasn't too keen on the idea). I had some sort of cement in mind but plaster would work perfectly come to think about it. Rather than use fragile fins, the bullet shaped projectile had grooves in its sides, like reverse rifling. I think in use it would create a bit of a problem extracting the round from the mold, if all else you could literally unscrew it out. Although, it seems like your 3D printer has a lot more flexibility than a 3-axis milling machine.

If you did start selling molds, what options are there for the materials that the molds can be made from?
InvisibleAndThenSome

Postby Navigator7 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:00 pm

I got to take care of the paying customers first...got no play time ...yet. :-)

Here is a link to give you some idea.....
http://web.mac.com/charlesgallup/iWeb/Site/G3DP.html
Navigator7

Sponsored

Sponsor

Previous

Return to Ammo Discussions