1-1/2" barrel in 2" Banjo Cam-Lock Coupling

Post questions and info about things you have launched or thought about launching. No posts about explosive projectiles!

Postby markfh11q » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:45 pm

I have bugged with this whole thing all night, and a 1-1/2" barrel just WILL NOT fit through a 2" male cam-lever coupling. It's really no problem, as I have decided to just go with 1-1/4", but it just begs the question how all the other people done it? Boogieman's guns are a good example. Using the cam-locks I got, if you grinded down the 1-1/2" pipe to fit through, the walls would be only .023" thick!

Has anybody had any experience with this sort of thing? I know Sgort uses a lot of cam-locks, but they're from Menards, and may be a different make.
markfh11q

Postby clide » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:17 pm

Maybe his banjo fittings weren't as thick or the ID of his 1.5" pipe was smaller. For reference of the size of his banjo fittings I believe a golfball fit firmly in the 2" male side.
clide

Postby SpudStuff » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:43 pm

Maby he sanded down the fitting some and the pipe some so there was enough total material removed.
SpudStuff

Postby Velocity » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:48 pm

I just looked for the topic, but I couldn't find it... I remember someone asking someone else (I think someone asked gort about his proton pack), and apparently he commented about how Joel actually lathed-down the pipe so that it would fit properly through the cam-lock

sorry for the vague de$cription... I'll try to find the topic
Velocity

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby sgort87 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:52 pm

Yes, Joel actually lathed me a 1.5" rifled barrel to fit in a cam lock. He says that Boogie and I are the only ones who have done that.

I noticed the problem myself when I ordered some cam locks and was quite irritated and after getting my order from Joel I realized a solution to the problem that does not require a wide-ass lathe:

I discovered that the ID of 1.25" SDR 26 is 8 thousandths of an inch smaller than the ID of 1.5" sch 40!

What you do is take a 2x1.5" bushing and dremel out the stop. Then cement sch 40 1.5" pipe into it so the pipe stick out the back of the dremelled side about an inch. Then put an adapter and the cam lock on. Next, simply stick a small length of maybe 8 inches or so into the cam lock and cement it in place so it meets right up with the 1.5" pipe in the cam lock. Since this part hold no pressure acting against it of any kind, no epoxy or sepecial transition cement is needed. No cement of any kind is actually needed and I use that to my advantage as spud cartridges.

When using this method, I strongly suggest making the cutting edge of the 1.25" pipe bevelled inward for a good tight fit.

If you guys need I can get you some pictures. I meant to tell you all about this a while back but forgot.

If anyone needs this pipe, I believe one of my suppliers carries it. I'll check toorrow if anyone is interested.
sgort87

Postby Mr.Plow » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:08 am

Or do what I did on the BanjoCannon and get 3" cam locks! That way you can add a tennisball barrel without flow restrictions. That, plus I really like the way 3" ones look.
Mr.Plow

Postby sgort87 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:51 am

I like 3" ones, but I find them a little bulky. They should be better for tennis ball barrels, though there was that instance where a choke to 2" was said to work better for tennis balls...

I have to say I really prefer them for over-unders definately. I really think a 3" turn on an over-under would look and feel extremely goofy. And you know me, I'm an over-under kind of guy.
sgort87

Postby markfh11q » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:33 am

Thanks all. I'm just gonna go with 1-1/4" so I can use a 3" chamber as well instead of a 4" one. I was going to use 4" pipe with 3" fittings cemented into each side, but grinding down the 3" coupling I've got would take WAY more than my tiny little dremel and I didn't get around to doing it last night when I had access to my friend's belt sander. Plus, I like shooting D-Cells and 1-1/2" you have to use wadding. So, less potatoes, (you can still shoot em), and more batteries.

EDIT - and yes, we were thinking about boring out the male plug, but I opted against it, and we had no way to do it accurately anyways.

Gort, I actually think we have some 1-1/4" SDR-26 over at Dawsey's, (hardware store). I so, I'll just order another plug and make a 1-1/2" barrel for it.
markfh11q

Return to Ammo Discussions