Kinetic energy penetrator

Post questions and info about things you have launched or thought about launching. No posts about explosive projectiles!

Postby 102719 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:42 am

I was thinking of stuff I could shoot out of a smoothbore spudgun. So at first I thought golf balls would be good, but they have stability issuse or so I have read. Then I thought what stabilizes flight other than dimples in a golf ball or spin on a bullet, football, etc. I was at Wikipedia when I found this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APFSDS. You could apply this to commercially availible arrows with a homemade sabot. I was wondering if you could make a reuseable sabot out of wood or aluminum or if someone has done this before and knows how it works first hand.

Postby Mr.Plow » Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:52 am

An old trick that Chewy (a past member here) taught me was to glue a long golf tee onto a golfball. That tail is just long enough to stabilize the golfballs really well! Others (UTCPyro, for example) have used friction tape or O-rings to give the ball backspin, whichs creates lift and keeps the golfball up for longer.

If you're going to make a sabot, make it from the absolute lightest material you can find. Great-Stuf foam works well, as does the foam you'll see in paddling saddles.
Mr.Plow

Postby fullmetaljacket » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:42 am

you could glue fins to a rod that would fit the exact diameter of the barrel, this would keep the projectile stable in the bore and all you´d need is a disc sabot to seal the propelling gas.
fullmetaljacket

Postby Numbuh 16 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:50 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Mr.Plow
[br]An old trick that Chewy (a past member here) taught me was to glue a long golf tee onto a golfball. That tail is just long enough to stabilize the golfballs really well! Others (UTCPyro, for example) have used friction tape or O-rings to give the ball backspin, whichs creates lift and keeps the golfball up for longer.

If you're going to make a sabot, make it from the absolute lightest material you can find. Great-Stuf foam works well, as does the foam you'll see in paddling saddles.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

In the airsofting community, the o-ring system you discribed is known as 'hop-up'. It gives the BB backspin to aid stability and distance, and when tuned properly per the distance (in the more expensive guns), accuracy.

Say, if you had a spring sniper rifle @ 130yds, and you tuned the hop-up ans scope correctly per windage and elevation, you would hit the target spot on. A unit using hop up is FAR more effective than a unit without.
Numbuh 16

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby Mr.Plow » Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:08 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">

In the airsofting community, the o-ring system you discribed is known as 'hop-up'. It gives the BB backspin to aid stability and distance, and when tuned properly per the distance (in the more expensive guns), accuracy. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Yep, I'm big into airsoft; I didn't want to confuse the guy by throwing vague terms at him, plus it's not really the hop-up style used anymore.
Mr.Plow

Postby Rex_R » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:24 am

the answer is yes its been done. look on spudfiles for darts( iirc in the how to section)
Rex_R

Return to Ammo Discussions