Cartidge

Post questions and info about things you have launched or thought about launching. No posts about explosive projectiles!

Postby ShowNoMercy » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:32 am

I was wondering what would happen to a cartridge fired full of paintballs. Would the cartride flutter and fall to the ground after leaving the barrel or would it continue at a high velocity? My idea was a soda can with its lid cut off and full of paintballs, offering a lot of possibilites with a breech loaded design.
ShowNoMercy

Postby fullmetaljacket » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:20 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">My idea was a soda can with its lid cut off and full of paintballs, offering a lot of possibilites with a breech loaded design.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

are you saying you're willing to fire what is effectively a flying cylindrical razor blade at people? what's wrong with paper cups?
fullmetaljacket

Postby GalFisk » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:24 am

You're talking about a sabot, if correctly designed the can would fall away and let the paintballs continue at high velocity.
GalFisk

Postby mafia_mike » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:30 am

a way to make that safe (please test it first on a non-human target) is to cut the can in half, from top to bottom and flare out the top so that when it fires out of the cannon, the "sabot" splits and falls away while the paintballs are still going. If you didnt do that, however, like fullmetaljacket said, it will be a flying KNIFE. I've been hit by one of those before by some idiot who had just enough spudgun experience to not even know what a potato slug was. I had a small chunk of skin taken off my shoulder and blood went everywhere drama drama blah blah blah SO, dont do that make it a sabot
mafia_mike

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby ShowNoMercy » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:54 pm

ok ok my bad i was just thinking of a cheap cartidge and had just been looking at soda can sized barrel. And I hadnt thought of paper cups, so i will look into that.
ShowNoMercy

Postby mafia_mike » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:57 am

paper cups work really well yea ,i mean c'mon, 60 cents for 3 dozen?, better then 3.99 for 12
mafia_mike

Postby SPG » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:32 am

Go for paper cups and something similar to mafia mike's idea, but don't cut the cup completely in half. And if your cup is like a truncated cone in shape, with the base smaller that the rim, try and get a cup, where the base fits the barrel.

Instead imagine your cup is standing up vertically. Now cut a number of slits down the sides about 3/4 of the total height of the cup. Push it down the barrel and fill with paintballs. As the cup comes out of the barrel the slits allow the sides to flare out, instantly slowing your cup. Voila, simple sabot.
SPG

Postby mafia_mike » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:07 pm

the way i do it is that i cut the cup in half vertically and LOOSELY wrap a piece of tape around the bottom, fill with paintballs, BB's , shrapnel, etc. and i dab a small amount of CA on the lip of the cup and place a tissue on top so that none of the contents fill out (make great cartridges) ... i can make maybe 10 of these in a matter of couple minutes.
mafia_mike

Return to Ammo Discussions