Moved>> Spud Death here in Ohio...

Tell stories about your spud cannon adventures!

Postby Fiebig Spudguns » Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:22 pm

Well folks... another story about some moron with a spudgun. A guy in Marysville Ohio (not far from where I live) died this past saturday night from a 'spudgun' accident. Why put spudgun in quotes? well it wasnt exactly a 'by the books' or even 'close to the books' design. A 21 year old guy made it out of metal pipe and was using gunpowder to propel the tato. The article pisses me off because they use the term potato gun. I know he was shooting potatoes out of it but I dont think its fair to call it apotato gun without any prior knowlodge. This is just going to have more and more people against the devices than there already are. An accident is bad enough but a death... The guy built what is basically a pipe bomb with a potato end cap. Anyway heres the story (i had scanned the article but it would be too big to post so Im just goping to copy and paste from the Columbus Dispatch's website (I can't link directly to the article because it is archived now and we can only see it with my mom's work ID and password (she works for the Columbus Dispatch.)

CHAMPAIGN COUNTY
POTATO-GUN EXPLOSION KILLS 1, INJURES 3 OTHERS
Published: Monday, June 28, 2004
NEWS 07C
By Mary Beth Lane
THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH
A Saturday night of shooting potatoes from a metal pipe as backyard play ended tragically when the device exploded, killing a Union County man and injuring three other men.

Kyle R. Thompson, 21, of Broadway, was pronounced dead at the scene by Champaign County Coroner Joshua Richards. Thompson most likely died instantly when the explosion drove pieces of metal into his abdomen and chest, Richards said.

Excessive gunpowder and possibly a stuck potato made the pipe explode about 10:55 p.m. outside a home in the community of Cable, Richards said.

Judd Coffey, 31, Thompson's brother-in-law, was hosting the potato shooting in the back yard of his home at 5923 Cable Rd. when the accident happened, according to a press release issued by the county sheriff's office. He was listed in serious condition yesterday at Miami Valley Hospital in Dayton.

Jason D. Anderson, 22, of Marysville, was listed in fair condition yesterday at Miami Valley Hospital. Robert H. Kiser, 48, of Cable, was also injured and taken to a hospital, but no further information was immediately available, the sheriff's office said.

Richards said he had never heard of potato shooting before. Perhaps this accident will serve as a warning of the hazards of incendiary devices, especially with the Fourth of July coming up, he said.

"This was a homemade device built for fun, but it became, unfortunately, a weapon. If it warns other people not to mess with explosives, maybe it will help someone else,'' the coroner said.

Deputies are still investigating the explosion.

Thompson worked at LawnScapes Inc., a Marysville lawn care and landscaping company, and enjoyed carpentry and the outdoors. A graveside memorial service will be held at 10 a.m. Wednesday at the Broadway Cemetery. The Ingram Funeral Home in Marysville is handling arrangements.

mlane@dispatch.com

I am going to write a letter to the editor within the next few days arguing that the device the guy was using is not an accepted design for a 'potato gun' by any of us here at the IPLA, of course i will remain 'remourseful' for the family's loss.
Fiebig Spudguns

Postby Ian2accurate » Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:30 pm

That really sucks, now theres something to pin on us spudders. We have a good argument, you never use gunpowerder even with metal. I don't know why he would want a blackpowder gun just for spuds though. That guy really pushed it to the limit before doing research.
Ian2accurate

Postby Quaddawg » Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:32 pm

Yes, I saw that, it was on the local news here in Cincinnati. Sad day for Spudding, you know there will be ramifications..

The incredible growth of the hobby is going to flush all sorts of silly, uncautious folk out of the woodwork...
Quaddawg

Postby clide » Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:40 pm

A couple more articles. All say pretty much the same thing. http://localhost/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5402
clide

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby SMOMW » Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:44 pm

looks to me like this is probably similar to what occured:

1st guy: "my freind told me about a guy his freind saw that had this thing he called a potato gun. It was a peice of painted pipe and it shot potatoes"

2nd guy: "I wonder how it worked, did he say?"

1st guy: "no, he didn't even know what it was built out of. he said it was probably metal."

2nd guy: "well i have some metal pipe out back. but how did it shoot?"

3rd guy: "I bet he used black powder. like a muzzle loader!"

1st: "Good Idea!"

2md: "heres the pipe, I capped one end and drilled a hole there"

3rd: "put some powder in it!... No... MORE...moree... ok. STOP!"

2nd: (places match to hole) "hold your ears!"

(BOOOOOM.... ambulance sirens)

probably someone who just didn't take the time to research it themself. not to mention the authorities and the reporters didn't research any either...
SMOMW

Postby ryno » Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:40 pm

<i>"Excessive gunpowder and possibly a stuck potato made the pipe explode about 10:55 p.m. outside a home in the community of Cable, Richards said."</i>
A stuck potato huh? How in the hell could a potato get stuck in a metal gun with <b>gunpowder</b>. Thats the part that doesnt add up to me. If we can propel spuds with hairspray,are you tell me that enought gunpowder to blow up metal pipe couldnt move a spud. Grrrrr. I hate stupid people,unfortunalty,there are too many in this world.....
ryno

Postby ACE-IS-COOL » Sat Jul 03, 2004 10:35 pm

That's just stupid. Let's cram two pound of black powder into a piece of electrical conduit and cap off one end. HEY GUYS COME SEE!
ACE-IS-COOL

Postby leav » Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:34 pm

yeah but it seems the sheriff is smarter than the guys at the newspaper, he warned against explosives, not spudguns, which would suggest that he knows this wasnt a "by the books" spudgun.

-Leav
leav

Postby chewy » Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:01 am

I just love the way the name black powder is used. Any one that shoots muzzle loaders and knows what they are doing, knows that you seat the ball firmly on the powder charge. Not to give it more power but to keep it from blowing up. most of the people that don't shoot muzzle loaders, don't know the difference between it and progressive burning powder. Its a shame that people die or get hurt messing with things they know nothing about.
chewy

Postby OJHSPyro89 » Fri Jul 23, 2004 3:06 pm

dang sucks its in ohio, now it gives us a bad name.
OJHSPyro89

Next

Return to Stories