Idiots, acetylene story

Tell stories about your spud cannon adventures!

Postby MadPiper » Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:08 pm

Ok so I had to take drivers training over the summer which was increadibly boring plus I had a car with 2 ignorant nerds. We started talking about spudguns and he was talking about his friend using acetylene and I immediately butted in and said "Woah wait man acetylene, in plastic? That is retarded!" so he says "Well it ended up blowing up anyways, he used that really thin sewer stuff, it was cheap" then he said it was a good idea to put the ignitor in the endcap so you can use it on another gun. I told him to make sure that kid never makes a spudgun again, ever. I fricken hate all these people building pipe bombs giving us a bad name.
MadPiper

Postby Pneumatic_King » Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:21 pm

People like that should be sterilized. They do NO research, blow themselves up, then we get the bad reputation just by association with these idiots. Thankfully, no one around here had even heard of a spudgun, so no stupid people are building them:)

EDIT - Was he using an oxidizer? And/or pure acetylene? If either is true, then he must be suicidal. However, if he was just using stabilized acetylene like MPS or MAPP in air then it's only the endcap and pipe that was dangerous. It's still stupid, but not as bad.
Pneumatic_King

Postby howdy doodle » Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:40 pm

people like that should be striped naked, tied to a pole and get hit with bars of soap.
howdy doodle

Postby leav » Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:57 pm

i may of got the refrence wrong, but did you mean to say the poorly build spuguns are called "pipe bombs" (i know what a real pipe bomb is, i'm just asking if that the nickname for spudguns built by stupid [excrement]heads)
leav

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby MadPiper » Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:54 pm

He was using pure acetylene with an oxygen tank too. I guess he was using that super thin sewer pipe as a chamber. I call any non-safe spudgun a pipe bomb simply because thats exactly what it is.
MadPiper

Postby Dextromethorphan » Tue Aug 03, 2004 2:59 pm

They did enough research to use acetylene and oxygen but were too stupid to get something pressure-rated?? That's insane. It's like they did everything stupid they could think of to kill themselves(right down to the endcap ignitor)
Dextromethorphan

Postby Navigator7 » Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:59 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Dextromethorphan
[br]They did enough research to use acetylene and oxygen but were too stupid to get something pressure-rated?? That's insane. It's like they did everything stupid they could think of to kill themselves(right down to the endcap ignitor)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I thought insanity was part of the younger generation gene pool.
I had a new kid working in my shop eager to prove himself.
I gave him a template and asked him to cut out it out of 3/4" plate.
Off he goes and off I go.
A little while later I go snooping around and here is the new kid using two Oxygen bottles as dunnage for his plate burning task.
I friggen freaked! Got him stopped and we all were still alive.
There was two washed out torched grooves in one bottle and one in the other.
He felt real bad...I was glad to be alive.
It was lunch time.
Us regulars went to the nearby cafe for lunch. The Newbie stayed at the shop... said he brought his lunch....no problem.
I returned all satisfied from a great meal, great coffee and a great looking waitress and here is the newbie finishing off the last of the three grooves with an 1/8" stick of 7018 welding rod.
He had ground the grooves out with a grinder, put a filler pass of 6011 and a finish wash pass of 7018 just like he learned in school!

I thought about firing the guy on the spot.
What he really needed was training because he was definately motivated.
There are few kids today motivated enough to simply get out of bed in the morning.
Besides....I thought of him as a lucky charm after that.
For a good year...I made him reapeat the tasks given and watched him good.
He was a good kid. He has my job now ;-(

Just kidding about the job part.
Navigator7

Postby SGTCSpudMaster » Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:28 pm

Wow Nav.....that kid must have been born with about 12 horse shoes stuffed up his ass. By all accounts he should have been a darwin award candidate. He was one lucky SOB!!!
SGTCSpudMaster

Postby Freefall » Sun Aug 08, 2004 3:11 pm

Just so I'm sure I read that right...he was using two bottles of oxygen to hold the workpiece, and after burning grooves in said oxygen bottles, decides to repair the grooves by filling them with welding rod?

Wow! Guy must have a whole army of guardian angels...
Freefall

Postby Navigator7 » Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:08 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Freefall
[br]Just so I'm sure I read that right...he was using two bottles of oxygen to hold the workpiece, and after burning grooves in said oxygen bottles, decides to repair the grooves by filling them with welding rod?

Wow! Guy must have a whole army of guardian angels...
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yep! You got it right. He was burning out some plates we were making for rock anchors. Holes are drilled in it and a skookum padeye is welded on. Rock bolts hold it in the rock.

Just like setting up wood on 2x4's and cutting thru to the scrap.

It was calculated the possible explosion would have removed the shop and leveled our facility.

A laugh a minute sometimes.
Navigator7

Next

Return to Stories