Idiots, acetylene story

Tell stories about your spud cannon adventures!

Postby chewy » Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:54 pm

Nav, I understand the pucker factor. a guy was told to make a bracket to hold an oxy bottle against the wall. No problem he just welded it to the oxy bottle. How some people do these things and live is beyond me. With my luck,if i held a lit bic up to it. there would be an explosion.
chewy

Postby MadPiper » Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:19 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Dextromethorphan
They did enough research to use acetylene and oxygen but were too stupid to get something pressure-rated?? That's insane. It's like they did everything stupid they could think of to kill themselves(right down to the endcap ignitor)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

They didn't do any research at all, they just had oxygen and acetylene in the garage so that's what they used.
MadPiper

Postby The_Rat » Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:29 pm

I think there should be a law saying that too own, build, sell, buy or operate a cannon you should pass some sort of test that Joel and all of us make. Questions like:

What do you use as combustion fuel?
A) Propane
B) Hair Spray
C) Gasoline
D) Other

If you are goinf too buy pipe for a cannon, what should it say?
A) PVC, 40(Or Higher) Schedule, rated for pressure
B) Copper Pipes
C) Sewer drainaige pipe, not rated for pressure
D) Other

See stuff like that...am I right? because if they cant answer these questions then there obviously too dumb too have a cannon...dumb...dumb as hell.[:p]
The_Rat

Postby Navigator7 » Sun Aug 15, 2004 10:50 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">[See stuff like that...am I right?

I beg to differ and here is why:

I think it should be perfectly legal to kill yourself from stupidity.
Besides, you can't legislate intelligence or common sense.
You can make people responsible for their actions. America has dropped the ball via a liberal minded upside down court system over the last 40 years leading to the seemingly lawless loop hole society we have.

Such as the insanity of supposedly experienced older lady suing McDonald's for millions because coffee she was given burned her lap. If she can't handle a hot cup of coffee she damn sure shouldn't be in the drive up window!

I do believe the consequences of poor judgment should be so severe stupid acts are kept to a minimum and self-governing.
We are saturated with laws that don't work. Most attorneys today are cleaning up on the fact. Drug laws for example. Drugs are illegal in America and yet it remains a very profitable business. The law has become a joke.
I think...sure...do crack cocaine...but affect the life of another and you pay with your life!

Making specific laws to further restrict and confine law abiding citizens to a perceived life of zero risk, a life of living in a Nerf environment is an oxymoron.
When such laws are passed the only people truly benefitting are the nut-cases who are protected from those who would follow the law anyway. The wackos are still going to violate the laws of common sense and safety whether it be spudguns, golfing, driving, drug using, skiing, hunting,.....you name it.

o Should cigarette companies pay restitution to family's of a smoker who dies of lung cancer?
o Should gun companies pay restitution to a family whose father was killed because a crack addict shot the man trying to steal his wallet?
o Should all of America be stuck with frustrating safety devices on push lawn mowers because "Bubba" in a beer induced stupor used his mower to trim a hedge and chopped both his arms off?
o Should auto companies be sued because the words, "Objects In Mirror Are Closer Than They Appear!" were not printed on the mirror?
o Should Joel be sued because a 16 YO kid decides to expose his new cannon sporting a new Supah Valve to unregulated pressure from a nitrogen bottle?

IMHO...the best thing for this hobby is what is occurring right now....a dialog amongst enthusiasts and a mindset for safety based on good judgment and understanding physics. Collectively we raise the bar with dialog and a mindset. I will not accept unsafe, child-like, or negligent behavior in any of my endeavors.

Yet...we all must take calculated risks just deciding to live another day.
Navigator7

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby The_Rat » Sun Aug 15, 2004 4:35 pm

Well how come you need a licence to go into the woods and gun down a animal? Or too get a license too own the gun that took it down? See same thing kinda.
The_Rat

Postby Ian2accurate » Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:02 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by The_Rat
[br]
See stuff like that...am I right? because if they cant answer these questions then there obviously too dumb too have a cannon...dumb...dumb as hell.[:p]

Look, I don't think anyone is stupid enough to fail those two questions you just put up. Ok this is what a person that had no idea about spudguns could say, " Hmm... what do those things use, oh ya hairspray. (2nd one) Lets see, metal will blow up, not pressure, I guess theres pressure with these things, it must be sch40 or higher!". Exceptable answers could be 1.a),b), or d) (wow 75% pretty low huh). 2. a),b), or d) (again). Ok I guess we could make one, but theres no way the gov't would decide to make a test before banning them, the population of IPLA is noting like the NRA.
Ian2accurate

Postby Navigator7 » Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:42 pm

The Ray wrote: """Well how come you need a licence to go into the woods and gun down a animal? Or too get a license too own the gun that took it down? See same thing kinda.""

Not really.
Part user fee
Part animal ID & control
Part Big Brother.

From a spud standpoint...I think we might need an agricultural license...spreading non-native plants across the country side.

I suspect if all hunters went to Spudguns, big brother would quickly limit the ammo to Nerf products.
That would put a whole new degree of difficulty when hunting Grizzlies. I've never heard a bear laugh...mebbie this is the ticket?

I could just see the cover of Outdoor Life: TEEN TAKES DOWN MONSTER GRIZZLY with homemade spudgun, powered by Right Guard, using an Energizer D-cell battery, fired by a Coleman lantern striker. You can too!
Navigator7

Postby OJHSPyro89 » Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:59 pm

lol thatd be halarios
OJHSPyro89

Postby The_Rat » Sun Aug 15, 2004 10:30 pm

Well killing a grizzly isnt that hard, just get too a high elevation and use a sniper. Oh crap I almost forgot...I discovered a kinda of ammo thats kinda like a instant freezing thing on contact. I tried this without being shot and it froze a entire potatoe in 2 seconds flat. Am I allowed too say how too make this?
The_Rat

Postby Dextromethorphan » Sun Aug 15, 2004 10:37 pm

Just say it and if someone doesnt like it theyll say so
Dextromethorphan

PreviousNext

Return to Stories