Idiots, acetylene story

Tell stories about your spud cannon adventures!

Postby BC Pneumatics » Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:11 am

Please do. And if they delete it, I do have an email;)
BC Pneumatics

Postby Quaddawg » Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:47 pm

Nav, I can't stop thinking about the kid and the O2 bottles...

Jeez, I get shivers just thinking about it...

When I was young and bullet proof, I decided to imitate a story my dad told me, he and his shipmates in the Navy (Korean war) used to fill up condoms with Acetylene and Oxygen, tie long diesel soaked rags on them, light them and send them out into the inside of the ship, he said it knocked the dust out of the beams... (the inside of his ship was huge and cavernous/hollow)

Well, I decided that if we just used a little Acet. and O2, I could safely light the rubber with a bic.... NOT... lol, my brother and I were lucky to live through it, and most of my hair grew back in a few months... they say I dissapeared into a huge ball of orange fire.. I look back and THANK GOD that I didn't use hardly any oxygen at all, if I had, it would have probably killed me....

Young and dumb and watched over by god, seems like there is a lot of that going around...

Nav, does your employee really understand how lucky he is??
Quaddawg

Postby Navigator7 » Wed Aug 18, 2004 4:53 pm

Quad wrote:
"""Nav, does your employee really understand how lucky he is??"""

At the time.....no. Now? Yes.
I never doubted how lucky we were.

We all live in grace. Just driving the freeway at 80 MPH during rush hour is an amazing feat of human engineering and skill. Human failure on the highway is accepted. Work place disasters are not.

Recently, my wife almost accidently mixed hydraulic oil with chlorine bleach....She thought the chlorine was soap or something...my mistake too...mislabeled container...blah blah blah....
Thank heaven I was there!

Really and truly...guys like us (People that visit this type of forum and dabble in physics) really make things safer for others.
Knowledge is power. We need to experiment and push the envelope.

It seems most Americans are cows. Eating what ever we are fed.
The news media addresses America every evening as if they were talking to third graders. If any of you have ever been involved in a news story you quickly learn most of what you are hearing is crap and the true story is untold.
Fear sells. Spudgun accidents feed the fear...and sells ad space.

NASA filled a cockpit with astronauts and pressurized O2 and killed three fine fathers, husbands, humans, scientists and astronauts. If the best of the best can fail to that extreme then certainly the worst of the worst spud-gunner are going to die every year. I take no glory in close calls but claim extreme satisfaction when something performs as calculated or predicted!

Keep up the the effort, use your heads, design and build for a purpose and do it without incident! Control physics...don't let it control you.
Navigator7

Postby BC Pneumatics » Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:08 pm

Isnt there gian t stickers all over those things that say "danger" "caution" "exploseve""keep away from flame" and "do not alter" and what not? seems like that would have been a clue....

BTW, great speech Nav, you should run for president.
BC Pneumatics

Sponsored

Sponsor

Previous

Return to Stories