Shopping cart

Tell stories about your spud cannon adventures!

Postby Dextromethorphan » Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:41 pm

Last Friday I was with some people I know in a big parking lot. There was this WalMart shopping cart there(the closest walmart is 2 miles from there). There was a kid with us who is a notorious attention whore and also one of my best friends as soon as we saw this cart we expected him to do something pretty dumb.

He took it up this big onramp type of thing thats about 100-150ft long that is at an extremely high grade. I wouldn't think about riding my bike down it without holding the breaks the whole time. Well, with a crowd of about 10 people watching, he decided it's about time to get some attention.

He psuhed that cart all the way up there and flew down without thinking about it. He continued to speed across the parking lot until he came to a stop. As anyone could imagine, the "croud" of onlookers was someone impressed but mostly laughing their heads off.

Then there was this kid who saw him do that and saw all the attention he got and was like "heck, I'd do that". He says this a lot after someone does something amazing/funny/cool. So we decided to see just what he actaully would do.

My brother(18 years old) was with us with his 85 V8 Camero. He happened to have about 30ft of rope in the trunk of his car. We slammed the trunk on one end if this rope and tried the other to the cart. We really didn't know what we wanted to do. We just figured hey, why not pull the kid with a car and see what happens.

Well, it started simple enough the car hit a steady speed of 5 miles an hour(which feels like mach2 in a shopping cart) and slowly scooted across the parking lot. This aperently wasnt fast enough to my brother who was accompanied in his car only by the kid who went down the big hill, so he floors it.

It rained that evening so his tires were squeeling and all the sudden they take off. They were going about 30 and he goes into a doughnut. The cart behind him isn't going straight after the sharp turn, but again, it was raining so it's now sliding laterally still attached to the car.

The car stopped by the cart kept going. at 30mph. All the sudden this cart with the kid in it hits a light post in the parking lot and flies out of the cart and flips around in the air. We paniced. I was 100% certain that we would be making an emergancy room visit that night. But to our amazement, this kid just stands up with the funniest look on his face. All he had was some scratches going down his back.

I know this isn't a spudgun story, but it's a story about a group of guys with too much free time who do something dangerous for no reason other then enjoyment. I hope I don't get a bunch of replies telling me how dumb I am because I'll admit now I'm not the sharpest apple in the sky, but I just thought someone might have as much fun reading this as I did watching it.

Don't try anything like this. Trust me.
Dextromethorphan

Postby buzzboy » Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:48 pm

Sounds like a stunt that should be done on "Jackass"
buzzboy

Postby aturner » Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:08 pm

Yes, that would be fitting of jackass b/c it worked out with no one getting more than a few scrapes. But if that kid had knocked his head on the light post in the parking lot, we might be talking about darwin awards. :D:mrgreen:

Those kinda stories are so much more fun to relive and retell when everything works out. I have plenty of those kind of happy ending stories from my teen years, so have no room to give you a hard time! Let me just say I've seen some insane things involving a forklift. And insane things involving waterfalls. And cliffs. And Camaros. And fire. And golf carts. When I look back at some of the things that "almost" happened to me or my friends, I shudder. Some of those memories still send chills through me.

But then again, everything worked out in the incidents I've witnessed or been involved with, so I can't complain. Somehow I survived to age 30 with no major disabilities! I think we all ***think*** we are unbreakable until about age 25 or so.
aturner

Postby kozak6 » Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:09 pm

I have a similar story to tell...

It all started about a year ago when my brother and his friends would all do yard work for money. Now, they are all Go-Ped (you know, those annoying noisy 2-stroke powered scooter) freaks, and needed a trailer so they could pull their lawnmower around with them.

Just up the street, there was a shopping cart from Target that had been there for a while, and Target was miles and miles down the road, so they claimed it for their project.

They brought it back to the house, and with great glee, ripped it apart, hacksawing it to pieces until only the bottom part was left. At that point, they decided to test it out a little. It didn't make a terribly good skateboard, they they pulled out a rope from the garage, and used it to join a go-ped and the remains of the shopping cart.

It was still impossible to ride at that point, so we found that the basket turned around backwards fit relatively well on top. We loosely tied it onto the cart remains, and started off.

Now, since a Go-Ped doesn't exactly have much torque, we had to push the cart up to speed, then start the go-ped and go. Top speed wasn't terribly good, but still, it was a hacksawed shopping cart. Now, whoever was driving thought it would be funny to see if he could steer the cart into a parked car-----with someone still in the cart.

Even though it sounds a bit mean, it was the funniest thing I had seen for quite a while. There was never actually a collision, but it made for some frantic turning, especially since a shopping cart doesn't exactly have a steering wheel.

We got where we were going, untied it, tied it to the other side, and found out it didn't work as well being pulled backwards, but that was a damn funny sight too.

There was only crash, but it wasn't serious. And I didn't sit in that damned contraption once.
kozak6

Sponsored

Sponsor

Return to Stories