Moved>> Tomato througha wheel barrel!!!

Tell stories about your spud cannon adventures!

Postby buckbo972 » Sun Aug 08, 2004 1:33 am

We were firing some random stuff today and started to shoot some green tomatoes. First we shoot throught the side of an old tv. Then we moved to some 1/2 inch pine step tread. We couldn't believe it when it split it into three peices. But the most impressive was an old wheel barrel. It had a layer of concrete on it so it took two shots. The first put a good sized dent in it and knocked off an area of concrete (which crumbled and flew back five feet. The second shot punched a hole straight through. It looked like the top of a tin can that was pulled back. After that we shot a cheap plastic flashlight (complete with two c-cells) up into the air. It abliterated it. After we fired, peices of the batteries came floating down that looked like tin foil. I thought it was great.
buckbo972

Postby ryno » Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:32 am

For some reason, my BS detector is kinda going off. Can you give us some pics of the gun and the wheelbarrow. I've tried to shoot tomatoes before, but they always broke even at low pressures. A tomato through concrete and a wheelbarrel,I dont think it could happen with a tomato.
ryno

Postby Fiebig Spudguns » Sun Aug 08, 2004 3:50 pm

Im with ryno on this, lets see some pics. The fact thet they are green tomatoes makes it a little more believable (as they are usually firmer and smaller than ripe tomatoes), but how wide were the tomatoes? Obviously a smaller tomato means a firmer tomato and will apply more force since its a smaller area.

I shoot batteries through 3 layers of 1/16" steel at ~150 PSI (copper gun) and I'm assuming your wheel barrel if probably around 1/8" thick, with even a small tomato at say 200 psi, I dont think you could get through a wheel barrel.

Also... if you can obliterate a flashlight when firing it, how did a TOMATO stay in tact???

Of course I could be wrong, just get us some pics, and if you dont have a digital camera, get a disposable one and ask for a picture CD when you get the film devloped.
Fiebig Spudguns

Postby Freefall » Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:38 pm

The metal wheel barrows are typically thin sheet, maybe 1/16 or thinner.

Was it old and rusted, or was the metal in good condition?
Freefall

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby Pneumatic_King » Sun Aug 08, 2004 5:04 pm

I'm with you guys on this. If batteries are torn to shreds just from being fired into the air, no produce can withstand that force.
Pneumatic_King

Postby plasticex009 » Sun Aug 08, 2004 5:46 pm

But, then remember, people can shoot paintballs through corrigated steel.

I would also like to see some pics of the launcher that is doing this.
plasticex009

Postby ryno » Sun Aug 08, 2004 7:00 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Freefall
[br]The metal wheel barrows are typically thin sheet, maybe 1/16 or thinner.

Was it old and rusted, or was the metal in good condition?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Yea, but he said the wheelbarrel had a layer of concrete on it, thats were I dont beleive it.
ryno

Postby Navigator7 » Sun Aug 08, 2004 7:44 pm

Yeah but.....The layer of concrete is that stuff that always forms on wheelbarrows that are not cleaned right away.
It's a skim coat.
I think 11 gage is 1/16" and wheelbarrows are less than that by half.
I believe him.

I wish I could see the NASA pics again where they shot aluminum with a BB at 50,000 mph.
Now that is a spud gun.
Navigator7

Postby Fiebig Spudguns » Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:38 pm

Even if the tomato could have gone through the metal/concrete, it still doesnt make sense that he can 'obliterate' a flashlight and batteries upon firing but not a tomato...
Fiebig Spudguns

Postby BC Pneumatics » Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:49 am

Maybe, they didnt blow up when he shot them. Poosibly, his gun is SO powerfull that it shot the flashlight into space, then it got torn up as it rentered the atmosphere, acounting for all the flakies[:p]

But ya, when you do something this amazing it is a good idea to post pics, or be prepared to get torn apart from this group;)
BC Pneumatics

Next

Return to Stories