Moved>> Lighter Exploding

Tell stories about your spud cannon adventures!

Postby theexp » Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:22 pm

I was at camp with my friends and as usual we were playing with fire after working. We got some kerosine and put it in a coke bottle and starting walking around pouring it someone lit it and I kept walking around drawing pictures with the k1. Once we use all the fuel in the Bic lighter (after making it have a 1.5 foot flame) my friend was burning off the plastic prongs that hold the metal flame guard on. He thinks it has extinguished and says, "Hey check this out, the plastic is melting but its not on fire." So I laugh knowing it has one of those blue flames you can't see during the day and say that is going to explode, so he throws it, and on its way to the firepit it explodes and hits us all with plastic shrapnel. no one was hurt tho.8)
theexp

Postby Mr.Plow » Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:49 pm

You're really lucky....

Treating fire like a toy is a terrible idea. 98% of the time you escape no harm done, but really its not worth it. Go look in a burn unit, its awful. Trust me. Sure, playing with fire is hella fun, but don't be a dumbass. The fate you're tempting is a very very painful one.
Mr.Plow

Postby ishallstabyouwithabluntsp » Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:12 am

your mate was about to severely burn and fill his hand with shrapnel and you didnt warn him?
ishallstabyouwithabluntsp

Postby TaterNater » Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:32 am

Dear theexp,

You and those friends of your are all [intercourse]ing morons.

I have an idea!

1.) Lets play with kerosine! I will be fun.
2.) Lets mess around with propane near an open flame. (firepit.)
3.) Lets take it a step further and draw [intercourse]ing pictures with propane!!! It will be great!!
4.) Lets laugh while your friend holds his [intercourse]ing LIFE in his hand.
5.) Lets post it on the Spudtech forums with a little 8) right at the end of it like it is cool and everything!!

End conclusion: After reviewing the facts that you have stated in your above post, I have come to the conclusion that you and your friends are badly in need of a darwin award.:evil:

Go ahead and flame me all you want theexp, I don't give a [excrement]. What you did was borderline suicidal and someone needs to wake your ass up to how stupid you are.:evil:

Thanks for reading my post,
TaterNater

Edit: I'm not gonna post in this topic anymore, cuz I dont want it to turn into a huge flamewar between you and I or whatever else would happen. Just stating my opinion, and you can all take it for whatever you think it is worth I guess.:?
TaterNater

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby GalFisk » Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:41 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ishallstabyouwithabluntsp</i>
your mate was about to severely burn and fill his hand with shrapnel and you didnt warn him?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Well, he actually did:
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by theexp</i>
He thinks it has extinguished and says, "Hey check this out, the plastic is melting but its not on fire." So I laugh knowing it has one of those blue flames you can't see during the day <b>and say that is going to explode</b>, so he throws it...
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Still an extremely stupid thing to do though.
GalFisk

Postby ishallstabyouwithabluntsp » Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:34 pm

oops, missed that bit, was still bloody stupid though
ishallstabyouwithabluntsp

Postby Spudinator » Sun Oct 03, 2004 12:37 am

Jeeze TaterNater, that kinda stuff is childs play compared to what i used to do, and I'll tell ya now (even though I know ya arent going to post) the stuff he and his friend were doing is fairly safe. If a flammable liquid gets on you, remove your clothing. No harm done but maybe a few minor burns. The lighter is :?: compared to throwing a full butane refill canister into a fire and backing only a few feet away, plastic wont do much but scratch you, maybe possibly penetrate 1/4" max into your flesh. He sure as hell wasnt holding his life in his hands. When you know from experience what stuff does, then you can post something like that. Not flamin or anything, just tellin ya.
Spudinator

Postby TaterNater » Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:39 am

I want everone to know I truly and honestly tried to not post again, but I feel the need to clarify. :P

Blowing up a lighter isnt safe, I have done it in my fireplace, and it exploded with enough force to blow the glass doors open. (Any one that has a fireplace knows what I am talkin about...)

Getting a flammable liquid on you would not be very safe...

Yeh removing your clothing would certainly help, but the whole flesh burning thing just doesnt do it for me. :P

Full butane canister...:)

1/4 inch is a big amount when your talking about someones eye and such...hell even other places [excrement] like that would hurt like hell...

Anywho, I kind of do have previous experience with them...cuz I also am dumb as hell sometimes...not to the degree described...but still pretty dumb...

Holding "his life" is a relative term...the ability to see things visually affects your life...holding your life in you hands...so on and so forth...

So to conclude:

Not childs play...even though people play with butane bottles...:)
Not :?:...actually kinda dangerous...:x
1/4" penetration would blow and is no joke...:x
1/4" is more then a scratch by like...1/4"...:x
He was holding his life and the way he would live in his hands..so to speak...[:0]
Got myself some experience in the field of blowing these things up...
Not flamin, seriously just bored out of my skull at 4:33am...so yeh...sleepy time for me...:o

Hey thanks for reading my post,
TaterNater
TaterNater

Postby SpudFragger » Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:11 am

What theexp and his friends did was dangerours but not nearly as dangerours as throwing a blank 5.56mm bullet into a fire. The story on this is I was on a campout with my boyscout troop and we were at Lake Kyle, which is on Fort Campbell military base. They do training at Lake Kyle at certain times of the year and inevitably blank rounds are left in the woods. Well one kid found a blank during the day and decided to throw it into the fire that night. Because we use fire barrels(55 gal drums cut in half length wise) the blank simply hit one of the flat sides of the barrel and didn't do any harm to anyone. The kid that threw it in was very lucky because he could have potentially hurt more than a few people.

edit: fixed terminology
SpudFragger

Postby Rex_R » Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:50 am

fyi blanks have a bit of clay to close off the open end of the cartridge case(no bullet, properly called a blank round). they must have a loose inventory control at that base.
Rex_R

Next

Return to Stories