Mass spudding

Tell stories about your spud cannon adventures!

Postby jsasur » Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:08 pm

Just got back from our local fair where I set up my 4" co-axial barrel within an 8" inline tank. I did it for a fund raiser for a needy child with cancer and charged everyone one buck to pick out a small pumpkin and send it down the barrel and then launch it out of sight.....Had a waiting line all day long and had to have someone go out to the local farmerto find more pumpkins.....from 11-5pm and over 250 launches, there was no breakdowns except for a minor compressor problem......big money in spudding!!!!!!
jsasur

Postby clide » Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:21 pm

Hah, cool stuff. If you had a line waiting then you should have upped the price. Did they actually shoot it or just pick the pumpkin and have you shoot it? Have you posted pics of this? If not please do, sounds really cool.
clide

Postby ishallstabyouwithabluntsp » Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:11 am

at our scouts summer fair, someone had made a 2" copper gun and took it. they charged 50p for 2 shots at some wooden cutouts of tanks.
he was only running at 40psi though, safety! i think he made quits a lot of money though
ishallstabyouwithabluntsp

Postby TaterNater » Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:40 am

Jsasur,

It is people like you that will bring this hobby to the next level with the generosity you displayed. Seriously, good job. We need more people like you to detract from the morons that blow their eyes out or vandalize buildings and the like.

Once again, you fookin rock.

Thanks for reading my post,
TaterNater
TaterNater

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby chewy » Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:09 pm

JSAsur, a great and Noble endeavor. Not only by doing a great humanitarian deed. but showing the public that spudguners art a bunch of dangerous Vandals. This spuds for you.:D
chewy

Postby spudshot » Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:30 pm

great idea, we need to do more public friendly things to help rid ourselves of the stereotype that all spudgunners are dangerous irrisponsible people
spudshot

Postby jsasur » Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:41 pm

Thanks for the nice comments....there were some interesting little situations that did come up during the fair....first, there were a number of uptight mom's with their sweet little children seeming to direct their kids away(or protect them from?)this preconcieved "weapon"....then there were the fathers' who tried to get their little daughters to try to launch a pumpkin, but were terrified by just the sight of it...I wonder why...but then i knew these little girls were converted when I saw the joy and excitement in their faces when the pumpkin flew into space....and most of the boys, gee..they really got into it....one six year old even saying he was going right down to buy one at KMart with his birthday money....a real trooper.....name of the launcher "The Pumpkinator" which is painted onto the orange barrel.....had more adults than children watching each launch, some for hours......even i can't get the smile off my face after watching each and every pumpkin fly out of sight - even after over 300 launches, i still can't get that smirk off my face... one problem is that a safe landing zone has to be available and this particular place had mile of swamp nearby, so it was perfect...most places are not that safe, so, its a no go.....i also had two offers asking if the launcher was available for other events...this might lead into something!!!! i'm older than most of you guys and seen some real stupid things happen as a captain on the local rescue squad for close to 30 years, so i am real safety conscious...here are some safety precautions i took....all components of this launcher are rated at 350 psi and i have pressure tested it to 300psi when it was built...i only use 30 psi for launches, any more and pumpkins fly eratic or too fast to watch out of the 8' long barrel...i also have a pressure release valve set at 40 psi, so it will never over pressurize...kids pick out their own pumpkin out of a pile and then load the pumpkin into the barrel themselves by climbing a set of portable steps and only when they are away from it do i charge it with air which takes about 1 minute using a 5 hp emglo gas compressor...the triggering device is a gun shaped air valve on a 5 foot hose which when squeezed releases the diaphrgm on a 2" sprinkler valve which almost instantanously vents my main 8" diaphrgm valve.....ran six hours on 2 gallons of gasoline....the pumpkins were donated....the sound is sort of a muffled thumping whoosh - not very loud at all so that the animals at the fair were not alarmed one bit, which could be a real problem.....only one pumpkin disintergrated as it left the barrel...liability insurance was paid by the local rotary club which sponsored this fundraiser fair....planning on getting this thing chrono'ed sometime.... some other projectiles.... a defeathered chicken ready for the barbacue pit....a lobster...all bio-degradable.....again thanks for the positive replys....will try to updated...will also try to get some pictures digitized and post them if i can figure out how to...jake...
jsasur

Postby BC Pneumatics » Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:27 pm

"a defeathered chicken ready for the barbacue pit....<b>a lobster</b>...all bio-degradable."

Talk about expensive ammo!!
Seriously though, great work! Just wondering, what cherity did you donate to?
BC Pneumatics

Postby clide » Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:59 pm

Thanks for the more detailed description!
Great to see you are so safe with this thing. It sent the pumpkins out of sight with only 30 psi? That is impressive. LOL I think I would have been one of those people watching it for hours.
Also do you happen to know offhand how much the liability insurance was? Or was the liabilty insurance just covering the whole fair? I'll keep this idea in mind if some sort of fundrasing event comes up. Just happening to have the space available would be lucky though.
clide

Postby jsasur » Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:18 pm

Don't know the cost of insurance because i was told the Rotary Club, the sponsor of this event, pays for an all inclusive policy for all its year round activities. This was a one shot fundraiser for a local boy with bone cancer. They also had a 30' climbing wall, kids field games, livestock shows, horsebackriding, fire truch ladder climbing, bounce houses, dunk tanks, live bands, chicken barbacue meals, etc... just a get out of the house with your kids for a good cause sort of thing... another interesting thing i just found out from the farmer who donated the pumpkins....the best pumpkin varieties to shot are "Oz" and "Jack-be-Little". I will be hiring him out to plant a few extra rows of these so i will have plenty next year....i cut 1" sleeves from the pipe barrel material and use them as a sizing guages....if the pumpkin passed through easily, into the basket it went so that when each kid dropped it into the muzzle, each pumpkin would actually roll down the barrel....occasionally one would slip by where i had to use my trusty ramrod to push it down...and if it were perfectly round and smooth with no handle, and the kid vented it real quick like, it would actually go out of site....i mean really....ask anyone there....at only 30 psi...
jsasur

Next

Return to Stories