Cheap Mini Lathe?

Potatoes last one shot, so build reusable! Discuss ammo designs and ideas. Tough to find cannon part or questions? Ask here!
Gaderelguitarist
Corporal
Corporal

Mon May 23, 2011 10:25 am

Inonickname, I think the point I was trying to make was that in the engineering world, our need for precision and absolute exactitude is drowning out the fun that comes from making certain parts by hand. I regret rambling about wood turning. :oops:

It comes down to what I enjoy about spudding the most I think. I'm into it purely because I like building things and seeing them work. If that means I can modify fittings on my wood lathe with absolute success, then so be it.

I appreciate what we can do with ultimate precision. I'm not trying to bash it. The machined and precision made parts and cannons on this forum are enough to put me to shame three times again. I just also appreciate the human aspect of it all. (darn artist brain again)

*back to the main point before I get booted*
Clemsonguy, I'm not sure if you can find a replacement speed control for a brandless machine like the variety sold at Harbor Freight. Thats not to say you shouldn't get the lathe. By all accounts, I haven't had a harbor freight tool break on me yet, although they are not the best quality in the world, and they're only a bench vice, wire welder, and a set of heavy duty wire snips.
so many muchness
LeMaudit
Corporal 2
Corporal 2

Donating Members

Mon May 23, 2011 11:18 am

I think the point I was trying to make was that in the engineering world, our need for precision and absolute exactitude is drowning out the fun that comes from making certain parts by hand. I regret rambling about wood turning.
No regrets :-D I wish I learned turning wood! Maybe some day I'll go ahead with some pen turning projects...

I use my lathe and mill most of the time like a big x-acto knife you know. Unless I want to do exactly the same piece twice, I just make metal chips until I'm plainly happy :D
It's just that if I need to be precise for a project, with a metal lathe I can. With a wood lathe I just can't, unless I'm VERY skilled.

And you can of course use a metal lathe just as a wood lathe, mine have the specific attachments for that:
http://www.sherline.com/3038inst.htm
But to tell the truth I was not very good at it :?
I HAZ A BANG!
Gaderelguitarist
Corporal
Corporal

Mon May 23, 2011 5:36 pm

Likewise I'm sure you could achieve some manner of metal lathe precision with an attachment for a wood lathe. It's a thought.
so many muchness