I Has Fridge Compressor But No Skillz

Potatoes last one shot, so build reusable! Discuss ammo designs and ideas. Tough to find cannon part or questions? Ask here!
MrCrowley

Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:13 am

Found some 600PSI rated hose for $3 a metre haha.
Perfect. Just need to convince my dad our 15 year old CO2 fire extinguisher is FUBIT (f***ed up before I tinkered) and that'll be my reservoir. The FE is actually full...well last time I had a go with it, it was pretty full :D
POLAND_SPUD
Captain
Captain

Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:25 am

@mrcrowley
just make sure that they have NPT/BSP threads... most hydraulic couplings 'here' are metric

@JSR
Well, it's bolted to it, right
no, I just put teh compressor right at the bottom...
fridge compressors have rubber shock absorbers that reduce noise... if I bolted it I think that the whole bucket would resonate a bit
heatsinks and thermal paste
well yeah that would work... and I do believe in overkill... but instead of all those things like radiators, thermal paste or oil cooling etc. I want to try the simplest and the most practical approach:
get the most powerful fan I can get

this makes quite a lot of sense... no need to mod anything, I don't have to add cooling system to each compressor, if the compressor breaks I can just throw it away...
If a 50-90 fan won't cut it I've got an industrial fan in my basement :D
Children are the future

unless we stop them now
MrCrowley

Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:01 pm

This is my cool toolbox...literally :D

Toolbox was about $12, the 3 fans cost me nothing (2x80mm, 1x120mm) and all the electronic components I had around the garage. All 3 fans are sucking from the outside and blowing in to the toolbox.

I had a theory that if I had 3 fans that blow in to the toolbox, they hit the compressor and then rise out the top 2 vents. Also hot air rises so I thought it would be better having vents in the top rather having a fan suck it out the side.

If you guys have any other suggestions for fan placement or direction, let me know. My setup was only a guess at cooling efficiency.
Attachments
5 port, 1/4" manifold. You can see the compression fitting there, the other fittings are just on to show the ports.
5 port, 1/4" manifold. You can see the compression fitting there, the other fittings are just on to show the ports.
05DSC00437.JPG
04DSC00436.JPG
03DSC00435.JPG
02DSC00434.JPG
01DSC00432.JPG
rp181
Sergeant
Sergeant

Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:05 pm

Its always better to pull out air, switch the fans around.
MrCrowley

Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:16 pm

Don't you lose the "wind effect" POLAND described then? Or because it is a closed system (relatively), it works better pulling air out?
POLAND_SPUD
Captain
Captain

Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:44 pm

lol it's cool... does it cool ? :D
Children are the future

unless we stop them now
jamie e
Private 2
Private 2

Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:29 am

Were did you find the pressure rated hose, as i just wired up my fridge compresser and am on to the plumbing?
MrCrowley

Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:10 am

Got quoted at various hydraulic stores for prices around $50-60NZD for a meter of hose and threaded fittings on each end but I have found an auction for 3 hydraulic hoses, all with fittings on the end, for $40NZD so I'll do that. I need two hoses anyway, one for attaching to a gun and the other a tank to store pressure.

Just go to a local hydraulic store and ask them for a quote, I can give you the names of some if you need them as I see you're also in Auckland.

I wont give you the auction listing though sorry :D

edit:
Oh and I think you were talking about this
Found some 600PSI rated hose for $3 a metre haha
Well I figured it would be better to go with the hydraulic hose for two reasons:
a) The prices above for hydraulic hoses are mostly for the fittings and attaching it to the hose, the hose isn't very expensive.
b) the nylon hose that is rated for 600PSI and costs $3 a meter might not be the right diameter or material if I tried to get it crimped and fittings attached at a hydraulic store.

I simply can't find push-to-connect fittings and hose rated for above 300PSI.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:42 am

Sweet setup, I like!

As to the fans, the best thing would be to have the fans blowing out as rp181 suggested, drawing air though the top. While, you're at it, why not mount another two small fans in the top vents :D with the opposite flow to the side mounted fans. Alternatively, mount the two smaller fans opposite the larger one and have one side blowing in while the other blows out, with the top vents sealed up. Some mesh over all the vent holes would complete the look :) oh, and a small slot for the power chord ;)
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
POLAND_SPUD
Captain
Captain

Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:59 pm

I've been thinking about this setup... and while it's really neat and looks great, probably it would be a better idea to force the air to flow around the compressor by having one, two or three fans on one end blowing air out and a vent on the opposite side of the box...
well that would simplify stuff a lot because you could run the cord through the vent too
I simply can't find push-to-connect fittings and hose rated for above 300PSI
Yeah it takes time to find them... I found only one shop that sells them in poland

though if you find metal ones buy them... even if they are not rated to 30 or more bar they are quite sturdy... you can always sleeve them in a metal fitting if you're afraid that they will explode (or epoxy them inside a metal fitting)
Children are the future

unless we stop them now
MrCrowley

Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:05 pm

I'll run it for an hour this afternoon, if it is hotter than my liking I'll change the fans. If it seems to be fine, I wont change the fans unless I see a noticable difference once it starts compressing air when I get some hoses, fittings and a gauge.
POLAND_SPUD
Captain
Captain

Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:17 pm

I am not saying you have to but it seems that it would be more efficient in that way... anyway I might be wrong... so yeah testing it first might be a good idea
Children are the future

unless we stop them now
MrCrowley

Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:26 pm

Ok so i'm not happy after it running for an hour in my cool toolbox which, ironically, is not cool. :(

Tomorrow i'll swap the fans around. Tell me, would it be better to have the two 80mm fans sucking out air from the side (wher they are now) or sucking out air from the top (where the vents are now)?

It'd be cool if I could just chuck the compressor inside a fridge :D

edit: Oh and would it be better to drill a nice big hole in the side of the box opposite the 120mm fan?
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:53 pm

As it is I think you have too much turbulence. I would seal up the holes in the top and move the two smaller fans opposite the larger one, also sealing up the holes in the side. Then wire them to have the small fans blowing in and the large fan pulling out, to give you a straight-through draught.

Also, why not cut open a couple of beer cans and slot them over some copper tubes to make your own heat sink?
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
POLAND_SPUD
Captain
Captain

Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:08 am

I would seal up the holes in the top and move the two smaller fans opposite the larger one, also sealing up the holes in the side
yeah, for a start I would cut a hole opposite the large fan and plug all the other holes... then test it (with just the large fan)

and maybe later try it with all three fans on one side
a couple of beer cans and slot them over some copper tubes to make your own heat sink
yeah, time to use materials you have lying around :D
now seriosuly... you might try it but I doubt it will work good
Last edited by POLAND_SPUD on Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Children are the future

unless we stop them now