Aluminum Powder?

Meaningful discussion outside of the potato gun realm. Projects, theories, current events. Non-productive discussion will be locked.
Insomniac
Sergeant 3
Sergeant 3

Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:40 am

Yes I know that this is a dead topic, but I just found out somthing that I wondered if anyone had tried, and didn't want to start a new topic.

Anyway, a few days ago I bought a micro blowtorch like this one from an electronics shop for $12

It works very well and while I was trying it out I decided to torch some aluminium foil. It didn't melt the foil, but the foil glowed red hot wherever I pointed the torch. After it had been heated the foil wasn't shiny like it was before heating.
The cool thing about this was that when I picked up the foil, it was all weak and fell apart. If I rubbed it between my fingers it turned into powder!

Has anyone else done this??? It would be easy to powder this 'heat treated' aluminium foil in a coffee grinder because it is so weak it wouldn't break the coffee grinder.
I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges.
Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.

Add me on msn!!! insomniac-55@hotmail.com
Insomniac
Sergeant 3
Sergeant 3

Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:41 am

Could a mod delete this, I accidentily posted what I just said twice.
Last edited by Insomniac on Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges.
Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.

Add me on msn!!! insomniac-55@hotmail.com
kris
Private 3
Private 3

Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:53 pm

dont use coffee grinders, ball mills, files, sandpaper. all that stuff is bad

USE A BLEND TECH BLENDER TO MAKE POWDER

ex: www.willitblend.com

oh yea heating up foil just turns it ito useless alunimim oxide
SpudBlaster15
First Sergeant 3
First Sergeant 3
Seychelles

Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:29 am

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Cras nec placerat erat. Vivamus dapibus egestas nunc, at eleifend neque. Suspendisse potenti. Sed dictum lacus eu nisl pretium vehicula. Ut faucibus hendrerit nisi. Integer ultricies orci eu ultrices malesuada. Fusce id mauris risus. Suspendisse finibus ligula et nisl rutrum efficitur. Vestibulum posuere erat pellentesque ornare venenatis. Integer commodo fermentum tortor in pharetra. Proin scelerisque consectetur posuere. Vestibulum molestie augue ac nibh feugiat scelerisque. Sed aliquet a nunc in mattis.
Last edited by SpudBlaster15 on Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lordfetta
Private 2
Private 2

Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:00 am

Just a tip, if you are using a ball mill with stuff like this, use lead or ceramic media, as it does not spark.
Bluetooth
Corporal 4
Corporal 4

Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:49 am

All ball mills you buy are lead.
SpudBlaster15
First Sergeant 3
First Sergeant 3
Seychelles

Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:39 pm

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Cras nec placerat erat. Vivamus dapibus egestas nunc, at eleifend neque. Suspendisse potenti. Sed dictum lacus eu nisl pretium vehicula. Ut faucibus hendrerit nisi. Integer ultricies orci eu ultrices malesuada. Fusce id mauris risus. Suspendisse finibus ligula et nisl rutrum efficitur. Vestibulum posuere erat pellentesque ornare venenatis. Integer commodo fermentum tortor in pharetra. Proin scelerisque consectetur posuere. Vestibulum molestie augue ac nibh feugiat scelerisque. Sed aliquet a nunc in mattis.
Last edited by SpudBlaster15 on Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crsaz
Private 4
Private 4

Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:55 pm

a ball mill is the best way to get very fine al powder. get a dual 3 pound ball mill from harbor freight, it's the same ones they sell at united nuclear but harbor freight has them for half the price. you do not have to open the jar every hour not evenj close to that often, more like twice a day maybe once a day at the begining and more often the finer you aluminium gets. it will take probably a week or more of milling depending on how fine the aluminium you want and if the rockets you are making ammonium nitrate and aluminium the finer the aluminium the faster the burn. if you are using it as an effect for pyrotechnics larger powder size is what you want like around 100 mesh or so. remeber the larger the peices of aluminium the longer the spark trail if thats what you want.

oh by the way ammmonium nitrate and aluminium used in common home made rocket engines is also an explosive called ammonal. 90% ammonium nitrate and 10% aluminium. thats what what tannerite exploding targts use but they add some zicronium hydride and titanium sponge to make sensitive enough to be set off by a .22 but it is not nessary if you are using a caliber like .223 or larger