"Offtopic-posts-topic" NSFW

Meaningful discussion outside of the potato gun realm. Projects, theories, current events. Non-productive discussion will be locked.
Gun Freak
Lieutenant 5
Lieutenant 5

Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:03 pm

Actually, there are plans for it...
I mean, after all, it shoots real bullets :tongue3:
OG Anti-Hybrid
One man's trash is a true Spudder's treasure!
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!
POLAND_SPUD
Captain
Captain

Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:22 am

That's because unlike some European countries, we actually have things worth defending.
Yeah, I know... your fat & ugly women :D
It seems like they could be made for far less than what the government spends on them. I think I would use an arduino.
http://diydrones.com/notes/ArduPilot

Yeap, you can have a GPS and remotely controlled cruise missile for as little as ~1500$
me think this technology will get regulated soon
Children are the future

unless we stop them now
velocity3x
Corporal 4
Corporal 4

Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:16 am

POLAND_SPUD wrote:Yeah, I know... your fat & ugly women
POLAND,
I'm inclined to agree with you on that one. On the other hand......we can exceed 17j. :D
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2

Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:40 am

ramses wrote:Honestly, I have considered designing a GPS guided missile/rocket. It seems like they could be made for far less than what the government spends on them. I think I would use an arduino. :D
Now I don't know if this is true, but a friend who has a talent for knowing odd things recently told me that all modern phone GPS systems must shut themselves off if they detect that they are travelling at speeds >1,000mph, because they're likely being used to guide a missile or rocket.
POLAND_SPUD
Captain
Captain

Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:52 am

they are travelling at speeds >1,000mph, because they're likely being used to guide a missile or rocket
I don't think this is true... the tomahawk has max speed of 550miles / h

Besides who needs mobile phones when you can get cheap and easy to interface GPS modules for just a couple of $ ?
Children are the future

unless we stop them now
ramses
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2
United States of America

Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:04 am

Actually, it's completely true. They must shut off if they simultaneously detect an altitude greater than 18000 m and a velocity greater than 515m/s. This was actually put into place by COCOM to prevent the use of consumer level GPS receivers in ICBMs.

Since I don't plan on exceeding mach ~1.5, I think I'm good. :D
POLAND_SPUD wrote:even if there was no link I'd know it's a bot because of female name :D
POLAND_SPUD
Captain
Captain

Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:19 am

an altitude greater than 18000 m and a velocity greater than 515m/s.
'and' or 'or' ?

well even if this is true it doesn't make much sense these days... cruise missiles are a lot more affordable than ICBMs ;-) and can do the same job

in fact I guess that a slow moving cruise missile would be harder to detect
Children are the future

unless we stop them now
DYI
First Sergeant 5
First Sergeant 5
Antigua & Barbuda

Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:47 am

The actual wording uses "and". Many manufacturers implement the limit as "or", but there are some in production which take the wording of the limit literally. Also note that this isn't a legal limitation on "rolling your own", just for export purposes.
Spudfiles' resident expert on all things that sail through the air at improbable speeds, trailing an incandescent wake of ionized air, dissociated polymers and metal oxides.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:51 pm

POLAND_SPUD wrote:in fact I guess that a slow moving cruise missile would be harder to detect
An electric powered drone powered by a shrouded fan flying at night would be practically impossible to detect, unless a sophisticated and fučking awesome air defense system like Skyshield was in place ;)
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
ramses
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2
United States of America

Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:09 pm

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:
POLAND_SPUD wrote:in fact I guess that a slow moving cruise missile would be harder to detect
An electric powered drone powered by a shrouded fan flying at night would be practically impossible to detect, unless a sophisticated and fučking awesome air defense system like Skyshield was in place ;)
That's exactly what I was thinking. Perhaps a solid booster for the last leg of the journey (to avoid small arms fire or pierce semi-hard targets). Add to it some radioactive crap from unitednuclear (or a cheaper distributor), and you have yourself a dirty cruise missile.

As far as roll your own, I really don't think it's worthwhile. I mean, the idea's simple enough, but I'm sure that there's a lot of details to work out.

[/earning a spot on the terrorist watch list]
POLAND_SPUD wrote:even if there was no link I'd know it's a bot because of female name :D
POLAND_SPUD
Captain
Captain

Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:28 pm

As far as roll your own, I really don't think it's worthwhile. I mean, the idea's simple enough, but I'm sure that there's a lot of details to work out.
well the ardupilot works quite well... you set some waypoints and it follows them automatically

you'd have to modify code to stop it from returning back to the launch position when it looses signal and force it to fall down at the final way point
Children are the future

unless we stop them now
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:32 pm

ramses wrote:[/earning a spot on the terrorist watch list]
That is definitely one reason to hate Al Qaeda, because of their activities even simply discussing many potentially cool projects could land you in hot water with the powers that be.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
ramses
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2
United States of America

Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:34 pm

POLAND_SPUD wrote:
well the ardupilot works quite well... you set some waypoints and it follows them automatically

you'd have to modify code to stop it from returning back to the launch position when it looses signal and force it to fall down at the final way point
d

I was referring to a roll-your-own GPS receiver. AKA, comparing timestamps to within hundreds of nanoseconds. But the ardupilot should be easy enough to hack.
POLAND_SPUD
Captain
Captain

Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:50 pm

lol
read -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Spirit_of_Butts_Farm

sure if it was to carry some payload it would have to be slightly larger and the range wouldn't be that great - but still that's pretty f##### awesome
Children are the future

unless we stop them now
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:03 pm

POLAND_SPUD wrote:but still that's pretty f##### awesome
Are you in advertising too :D

Why did they have to belittle their achievement with the "butt's farm" moniker *chuckle*

It's not that big either, you could easily make it big enough to carry a significant payload. Make it a flying wing to maximise efficiency and minimise radar signature...

also, "free running".

[youtube][/youtube]