"Offtopic-posts-topic" NSFW

Meaningful discussion outside of the potato gun realm. Projects, theories, current events. Non-productive discussion will be locked.
jakethebeast
Corporal 5
Corporal 5
Finland

Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:55 am

Nah JSR, I'm actually planning of torch cutting "JAKE'S CAVE" from steel to the black wall :D

I think it would be better for my idealism :wink:
Est Sularus Oth Mithas
wyz2285
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2
Austria

Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:09 am

Wouldn't the "no girls allowed" a bit g*y?
:lol:
CpTn_lAw wrote: :D "yay, me wanna make big multishot pnoob with 1000 psi foot pump compressor using diamond as main material. Do you think wet bread make good sealant? " :D
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:45 am

wyz2285 wrote:Wouldn't the "no girls allowed" a bit g*y?
What's the point of having a man-cave if you let girls in it :D
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
MrCrowley

Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:57 am

The BBC asks "will we ever want to have sex with robots?"
I swear this pops up every year on their site!
A human being is a well engineered machine
Sounds like someone's been reading The Selfish Gene :wink:

:D
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:09 am

MrCrowley wrote:
The BBC asks "will we ever want to have sex with robots?"
I swear this pops up every year on their site!
I'm sure there are people who pop in once a year to check if the robots have gotten any better :D
Sounds like someone's been reading The Selfish Gene :wink:
Nope... it's something I had pondered a long time ago, the realisation that somebody's "soul" depends on the physical matter of the brain was one of the first things which pushed me towards atheism.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
MrCrowley

Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:37 am

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:I'm sure there are people who pop in once a year to check if the robots have gotten any better :D
Ha! Probably quite true now that I think about it...

Was just kidding about reading that book btw. I think the basic idea might go as far back as the Enlightenment (Laplace?), if not Ancient Greece.

Like you, I had pondered this some time ago so it was interesting to think of the same principle from the point of view of replicators rather than indvidiuals (or what Dawkins would call vehicles). I mention this not because of our previous conversations, just because I think it's an interesting perspective philosophically as well as biologically. When I had thought about 'us' as 'machines' (as everyone does after watching The Matrix haha) I still viewed it from an individual perspective, myself. My organs, my blood, my limbs, my brain, are all functioning together to operate me. But if you think about it from the perspective of biological replicators, who I am, me, is just another part of the machine and is 'serving' a purpose for the replicators.

So there's a small, but interesting, distinction there that could be completely false but it's a rather novel extension of an old philosophical idea that many of us ponder eventually.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:04 am

I think the basic idea might go as far back as the Enlightenment (Laplace?), if not Ancient Greece.

I think I heard it from Richard Carrier (possibly this talk), that some Greek scientist had performed vivisections on animals relating parts of the brain to certain bodily functions.

"Me" is as fleeting entity. Even excluding brain damage, you're not the same person when you're tired, not feeling well, angry, happy... it's all just brain chemistry.

Scumbag brain...

What I went on to rationalise is that nothing, absolutely nothing in life has fundamental meaning, other than the meaning you decide to assign to it. If you don't care about it, it doesn't matter. Some people see that as depressing (hence the persistence of religion and "spirituality"), I find it liberating :D

edit:

[youtube][/youtube]

Awesome.
jakethebeast
Corporal 5
Corporal 5
Finland

Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:45 pm

Had a piece leftover from the piece of damascus so I cleaned and gave it a light etch and added it to my byzantine necklace :)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
Brian the brain
Netherlands

Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:51 pm

That Desert Eagle might be more complex than the real thing!

JSR is right though.
3D printers don't matter for instance......who needs one if D.Eagles grow on trees???

The only reason " life" has is life itself.

Everything we do/are/want relates to reproducing (succesfully) and having our offspring reproduce themselves after that.

That is why men like fast cars, women like to talk etc.

Even practicing religion.

That's what my brain tells me...
Gun Freak wrote:
Oh my friggin god stop being so awesome, that thing is pure kick ass. Most innovative and creative pneumatic that the files have ever come by!

Can't ask for a better compliment!!
jakethebeast
Corporal 5
Corporal 5
Finland

Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:24 pm

Tetris with firebricks :wink:

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:19 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-23847839

Anyone care about what the US and UK seem to be planning on doing?

Especially after the whole non-existent weapons of mass destruction in Iraq debacle?
MrCrowley

Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:16 pm

It's amazing isn't it, do they ever learn? I get that people are worried about Syrian civilians, but if that was the main motivation then this would be handled differently.

I guess the only way to avoid conflict would be if Assad suddenly became useful to the Americans and British. That wouldn't help the civilians much though, it would probably even make things worse for them.
Lockednloaded
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
United States of America

Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:18 pm

Hit the jackpot with the Information Engineering class I signed up for! It's a project based class, so I'll be busy working on school related projects most of the time, but I also now have access to a 3d printer, CNC machine, and all sorts of robotics parts and tools. In addition to that, everyone in the class also got a free copy of the "LabVIEW" programming software and a CAD program
I love lamp
velocity3x
Corporal 4
Corporal 4

Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:23 pm

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:Anyone care about what the US and UK seem to be planning on doing?
Our Govt endeavors to kick the crap out of everyone......... in the name of "Freedom and Democracy", of course. The wishes of the lowly American citizen is of no concern.
POLAND_SPUD
Captain
Captain

Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:37 pm

Anyone care about what the US and UK seem to be planning on doing?
My prediction?? Nothing will happen - Russia and China have declared their support... and they are going to be serious about it

plus Syria has some pretty somewhat modern AA systems... they might have bought/got some more in secret

So all in all, I don't think anything can happen. US declarations seem to be smoke screen for something completely different :?
Children are the future

unless we stop them now