"Offtopic-posts-topic" NSFW

Meaningful discussion outside of the potato gun realm. Projects, theories, current events. Non-productive discussion will be locked.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:37 am

wyz2285 wrote:Resumed, I'd like to start building a decent drone that can carry a decent camera with relatively long flight time (long enough for it to cover 4km or so, sent my drone once to record a tiny island 1,6km off coast, pretty useful). Is it possible?
Fixed or rotary wing? It would seem to me that if range was a concern the rotary option is fairly limiting.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
wyz2285
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2
Austria

Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:17 pm

Well quad seems easier but I'm really attempted atthis, if I could make one with gimbal and a better camera...
CpTn_lAw wrote: :D "yay, me wanna make big multishot pnoob with 1000 psi foot pump compressor using diamond as main material. Do you think wet bread make good sealant? " :D
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:51 am

wyz2285 wrote:Well quad seems easier
Been a while since I dipped my feet in RC model lake but back in the day, rotary wing aircraft were always the more challenging option.

edit: to my knowledge the only acht komma acht still firing in the world:

hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:27 am

Futuristic weapon concepts by MOTH3R

Ragnarok
Captain
Captain

Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:21 pm

My first thought when I saw those going viral on imgur was "The internals on those would be a mess, half of those designs look like they couldn't be held at all, and only one of them looks even slightly comfortable - and even then I'm not sure how you'd aim it."

My second thought was "Wait, WHO posted this? Is this some kind of weird prank?"

I've got to be frank, those things make the legendarily bad USFA "Zip 22" look well designed.
Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
farcticox1
Sergeant
Sergeant

Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:11 am

Yes, I knew they looked familiar

[youtube][/youtube]
Labtecpower
Sergeant 3
Sergeant 3
Eritrea

Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:01 am

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:Futuristic weapon concepts by MOTH3R
How the pheck are you supposed to hold these things? :D
edit: to my knowledge the only acht komma acht still firing in the world:
I've always had a weak spot for the 88. Still dreaming about building a hybrid version.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:12 am

Ragnarok wrote:My second thought was "Wait, WHO posted this? Is this some kind of weird prank?"
Yeah the ergonomics are shite but you can't argue with over 3000 meaningless internet points added by the unthinking denizens of imgur, well worth the cheap hit of dopamine :D
I've always had a weak spot for the 88. Still dreaming about building a hybrid version.
Same! The full size is a little out of reach for the time being but I was thinking of a curious Flak 18/Luger P08 hybrid as a miniature handheld version...

The problem would be that if you built it with a shell eject function as per the original Flak 18 (because what would be the point otherwise?), it's going to throw shells at your face.
Labtecpower
Sergeant 3
Sergeant 3
Eritrea

Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:17 pm

Same! The full size is a little out of reach for the time being but I was thinking of a curious Flak 18/Luger P08 hybrid as a miniature handheld version...
Looks pretty neat, go for it :D all the best from das Dritte Reich in one small package hehe
The problem would be that if you built it with a shell eject function as per the original Flak 18 (because what would be the point otherwise?), it's going to throw shells at your face.

Safety glasses were invented for a reason :roll:
ToasT
Private 4
Private 4

Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:04 am

wyz2285 wrote:Anyone here messed with drones?
A few years ago I built a quad with the intent of long flight times and the ability to carry a camera, even autonomous flight on preset 'missions'. Can't really say it was a success, could never really get rid of vibrations affecting the image. Maybe if i spent a bit more on better components it would have been possible...

From memory you are going to want the biggest props spinning at a low speed to get the lifting power and range, and a massive battery, all expensive stuff.

I used a pixhawk http://pixhawk.org/ as its 'brain', there is some cool open source computer interface for it if you are into that sort of thing called mission planner,. You can get cheaper clones all over the web. This can be reconfigured to control any form of vehicle which is pretty cool. Has some inbuilt commands that could trigger camera shutters.
But yea, that was quite a few years ago and i dont know what is happening lately, I remember when the DJI mavik came out, i thought the off the shelf offerings had improved to the point you couldnt get much more by building something yourself.
wyz2285
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2
Austria

Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:14 pm

Doubt I'd ever build this, but some research later I found out 2h flight time drone is totally possible.
An idea I had, a modular drone that allows different configurations. Got the weight, size and main component figured out too, technically seems possible.
Attachments
untitled.49.jpg
untitled.103.jpg
CpTn_lAw wrote: :D "yay, me wanna make big multishot pnoob with 1000 psi foot pump compressor using diamond as main material. Do you think wet bread make good sealant? " :D
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:35 am

I like the design, why the inverted gull wing on the fixed wing configuration though? There doesn't seem to be any practical benefit. I would have the wing in line with the motor nacelles to reduce drag, then maybe have a gull wing to increase stability.
wyz2285
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2
Austria

Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:10 am

Center of mass is too forward, need some wing to lift it but the propeller would hit it so...
The reason the wing is where it is now to me trying to keep maximum compatible parts.
Attachments
assembly (2).jpg
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:35 am

Doesn't the faster air from the propellers increase lift?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonov_An-72
wyz2285
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2
Austria

Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:38 am

That I'll only know if I ever build this, made the wing basically following the center of mass is where the first 1/3 if the wing is, as a glider.