Chainsaw bike

Meaningful discussion outside of the potato gun realm. Projects, theories, current events. Non-productive discussion will be locked.
Crna Legija
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2

Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:29 pm

ramses wrote:Don't ignore the need for an overrun clutch. Otherwise, if you close the throttle and coast, you may have lubrication issues.
Don't most bikes have bearings that let you coast with the petals still, I think if you keep the stock rear wheel and gearing in them that wont be a problem.
'' To alcohol... The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.”
--Homer Simpson

Add me on ps3: wannafuk, 8/11/11 cant wait
ramses
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2
United States of America

Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:35 pm

Crna Legija wrote:
ramses wrote:Don't ignore the need for an overrun clutch. Otherwise, if you close the throttle and coast, you may have lubrication issues.
Don't most bikes have bearings that let you coast with the petals still, I think if you keep the stock rear wheel and gearing in them that wont be a problem.

Yep, wow, I completely forgot about that. :oops: :oops: :oops:

I'm curious how you would leave the pedals operable with the engine. I guess you could switch the chain between the engine socket and the pedal socket.
POLAND_SPUD wrote:even if there was no link I'd know it's a bot because of female name :D
dewey-1
Sergeant 3
Sergeant 3

Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:26 pm

Must run in a 4 year cycle!

http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/help-wi ... 11395.html

Ever wonder why these projects never seem to get finished or even some pictures posted with success?
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:36 pm

dewey-1 wrote:Ever wonder why these projects never seem to get finished or even some pictures posted with success?
Teh sexeh blondes are distracting?
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
jrrdw
United States of America

Donating Members

Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:33 am

ramses wrote:
Crna Legija wrote:

Yep, wow, I completely forgot about that. :oops: :oops: :oops:

I'm curious how you would leave the pedals operable with the engine. I guess you could switch the chain between the engine socket and the pedal socket.
The ability to coast comes from a ratchet drive mech. on the rear axle. A/any 2 stroke engine will not burn up idling, they are getting all the lube they need for the immediate engine speed presuming the gas mix it right.

If I my self were building this project I would get rid of the bike crank and mount the engine near the bottom center as possible then run the rest of the hook ups and add foot rest/pegs.
stuffbuilder
Private 4
Private 4

Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:21 pm

I'm curious how you would leave the pedals operable with the engine
At first I was just going to run a second chain from the gearbox down to the wheel sprocket and never shift to that gear, but now I'm realizing that would cause the engine to also drive the pedals as if I were pedaling 30mph.
Technician1002
Captain
Captain

Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:25 pm

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:
dewey-1 wrote:Ever wonder why these projects never seem to get finished or even some pictures posted with success?
Teh sexeh blondes are distracting?
I don't think that one will pass as a moped. I don't see any way to pedal that one.. the bike I mean. :roll:
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:26 pm

Technician1002 wrote:I don't think that one will pass as a moped. I don't see any way to pedal that one.. the bike I mean. :roll:
Pedalling, perhaps not, but I can picture riding both :D
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
stuffbuilder
Private 4
Private 4

Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:45 pm

New plan: I'm attaching a separate sprocket to the other side of the wheel that will be dedicated to the engine. The problem now is how will I attack a 9-tooth sprocket to a chainsaw clutch? I thought the chainsaw chain hooked onto the outside of the clutch, but I just realized it hooks up between the clutch and the saw body.
stuffbuilder
Private 4
Private 4

Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:37 pm

Ok so I finally got a saw to use. Its a 46cc Craftsman.
Hopefully this isn't too much power for a bike; I would have gone with a smaller engine, but this one was actually cheaper than most of the smaller ones
Crna Legija
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2

Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:52 am

I think the bigger on is better now you can gear it down if need be and get more torque.
'' To alcohol... The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.”
--Homer Simpson

Add me on ps3: wannafuk, 8/11/11 cant wait
stuffbuilder
Private 4
Private 4

Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:32 am

The problem is that I don't know how much to gear it down. I estimated 24:1, which will make it go about 35mph at full throttle, but I'm not sure if that will give it an unneccessary amount of torque.
ramses
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2
United States of America

Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:46 pm

stuffbuilder wrote: Hopefully this isn't too much power for a bike
No such thing :D :D

As far as gearing goes, you need to think about the max top speed you want, and find how fast (in RPM) your wheel needs to go. Then compare that to the redline RPM of the engine. The ratio is the gear ratio you need.

If you gear it too much, you'll accelerate faster, but will hit the redline before you want to. If you gear it too little, you'll accelerate slower, and never actually reach full power (or have the ability to go faster than what you deem safe) If you preserve the derailleur system, do the calculation in the highest gear (smallest back sprocket)
POLAND_SPUD wrote:even if there was no link I'd know it's a bot because of female name :D
stuffbuilder
Private 4
Private 4

Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:38 pm

I won't be hooking it up to the derailleur, I'll be hooking it up to a separate sprocket on the other side of the wheel.

And how does a centrifugal clutch behave at different rpms? I know that at speeds just higher than engaging speed they tend to slip more than at redline but that's about it.
MisterSteve124
Corporal 3
Corporal 3

Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:50 pm

dewey-1 wrote:Must run in a 4 year cycle!

http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/help-wi ... 11395.html

Ever wonder why these projects never seem to get finished or even some pictures posted with success?
I actually did finish it, and it worked. Problem was I didn't really think about the proper gear ratios until the end and the clutch got burned out. Let me know if you have any questions, but you seem like you're going in the right direction