Arduino Start-Up

Meaningful discussion outside of the potato gun realm. Projects, theories, current events. Non-productive discussion will be locked.
Lockednloaded
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
United States of America

Tue May 13, 2014 8:53 pm

Hey everybody,

I've been away from hobby building for a little bit because I've been busy with school, but now that summer is just around the corner, I want to start with something new.

In a beginner engineering program at my highschool, we started the basics of arduino. I really liked the projects we did with it (from simple blinking LEDs to touch capacitance projects) and wanted to get one of my own to play with this summer.

So HERE is the kit I'm planning to purchase along with an ultrasonic range sensor (they're cheap and I've seen a lot of projects use them) So I was wondering if some of the forum's electronics people would advise this kit, a different kit, or additional parts or manuals to go along with the arduino?

Thanks for any help, and hopefully someday, I might be able to use the arduino for spudguns :D
I love lamp
POLAND_SPUD
Captain
Captain

Tue May 13, 2014 11:44 pm

You might as well buy just the arduino board and components seperatelly. You should be able to get a better price in most cases and more useful things. The only problem is that you probably don't know what components you should get
Children are the future

unless we stop them now
Lockednloaded
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
United States of America

Tue May 13, 2014 11:59 pm

Exactly, I've had about a month of playing around with some components at school, but I want to be familiar with what range of things I can realistically accomplish with the board so that I can zero-in on what sorts of things I really want to pursue with it. And until I get comfortable with it, I don't know what components I really want to spend money on.

Also, if any of y'all have any links to cool beginner projects I should try I'd appreciate if you could post them here as well
I love lamp
POLAND_SPUD
Captain
Captain

Wed May 14, 2014 12:32 am

Try these:
[youtube][/youtube]

Had exactly the same problem but I decided to buy parts separately. You need to do some research yourself or maybe we'll be able to compile a short list of components you should get

edit
YT link fixed

Here's a very basic list:
- a couple of chips:
four ULN2004
two l293D
two lm35dz - temperature sensors
one or two ds18b20 - temperature sensor
three 7805 voltage regulators
three LM317T voltage regulators

- LEDs
20 single colour LEDS
3 RGB Leds

- two breadboards (or one large one)

- some tactile switches (10x)
- two perfboards
- two or three relays
- a basic kit of resistors
- 1 photoresistor
- IR Led and receiver
- some diodes
- some caps
- a couple of pots
Last edited by jrrdw on Wed May 14, 2014 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed broken Youtube link.
Children are the future

unless we stop them now