with a piston or without a piston

Show us your pneumatic spud gun! Discuss pneumatic (compressed gas) powered potato guns and related accessories. Valve types, actuation, pipe, materials, fittings, compressors, safety, gas choices, and more.
drunkii
Private 2
Private 2

Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:39 am

on this pic you see a pneumaticp gun
but what is the difference with the piston , or without the piston?
goes it faster with piston ?

and can you install something on your pneumatic gun that loads the chamber with air or another fuel automatically?
without a pump or a compressor?

ty people
FishBoy
Corporal
Corporal

Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:01 am

I'm not sure what your asking.
Leonard
Private 4
Private 4

Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:54 am

That kind of design would NOT work without the piston. If you're looking for performance, build that piston type of launcher. Here's a very helpful page on pistons :
http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/piston- ... t8157.html

The other option you are speaking of, if i understand correcly, would be to put the Ball valve between the chamber and barrel, so that the ball valve would work as the main valve. This kind of setup would work and be easy to make but will be weak. I would recommend you to read more, do more research, and go for a pîston when you feel ready.
Ragnarok
Captain
Captain

Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:49 pm

Leonard wrote:That kind of design would NOT work without the piston.
Actually, it would be a miracle to get that particular set-up to work at all.

The barrel sealing face is far too far forwards, which would prevent the valve from opening at all - that sealing face needs to project in at least slightly further than the side arm on the Tee to have any chance of working.
Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
Biopyro
Corporal 2
Corporal 2

Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:45 pm

Just thinking ahead of you here, If you're planning a piston gun as your first, forget it. Go for a nice simple ball valve then move from there.

To help you understand pistons check out this thread
http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/piston- ... t8157.html
Pistons are by no means easy. It took me quite a while to get my first piston to work, and even now I have problems with it.
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. -Benjamin Franklin
judgment_arms
Sergeant 3
Sergeant 3
Location: Not so beautiful North Carolina, but at least it’s the U.S.A.!

Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:15 pm

Why go ball valve?

‘Round here you can get a 1 inch jar top for the same price as a 1 inch PVC ball valve…

First gun, go with an unmodified sprinkler valve, simple but effective.

Learn exactly how and why a piston valve works before you try and make one, otherwise you’ll probably end up with a paperweight… ;)

By the way, Ragnarok, it’s been awhile since I nagged you last about the LRC, so…
Is it done yet?! :lol:
Call me "Judge", it's easier to type.

Spud gun safety rules
MrCrowley

Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:22 pm

Sorry for the diagram but I really didn't want 13year old kids running around the streets with a golfball gun, there is enough information in my how-to so you can make a piston and the cannon, but you'll have to do some research.

I'd prefer if the people running around with golfball guns had some clue to what they were doing and haven't just got the plans of the net.

Rag is right, it'd be difficult to get that design to work at all, but if you put your mind to it, it really shouldn't be hard for you to figure out how to build it. That diagram was more or less to show the layout of the gun IIRC, not how the piston works. Look at the animations or my other how-to, that actaully has most information, if not all, correct in it.