Cannon blew up, rebuild time.

Show us your pneumatic spud gun! Discuss pneumatic (compressed gas) powered potato guns and related accessories. Valve types, actuation, pipe, materials, fittings, compressors, safety, gas choices, and more.
ShowNoMercy
Sergeant
Sergeant

Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:47 pm

So I dragged my air cannon out of my room today, charged it to 50 and BOOM blew out at the coupling. Shot like 3 feet of 4 inch pipe down the driveway and my supah valve into my leg. Anyway, I need to rebuild it now. So should I just make the same huge tank and keep it low pressure or shrink the chamber and operate at 100psi? The only constant here is the valve, other than that I am open to ideas.
Jesus saves, no need to pray
The gates of pearl have turned to gold
It seems you've lost your way
hi
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2

Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:15 pm

I had a similar experience, only my whole valve exploded. it made me not use pvc in a piston valve anymore.

I did build a smaller one that worked great, i shot it hundreds of time, then lost interest and it sat in the garage for about 2 months. then i dragged it out again. i started to fill it, but the plug in the pilot section was leaking so i tightened it with a pipe wrench and the tee cracked. im glad it cracked then and not when i shot it.

I'm a firm believer that isnt very safe to use with a piston valve. it works fine for a while, but a year or two down the road it seems to always fail. i now tend to only use metal pipe, except for on combustions. i have no problem using pvc, but i've learned to only use it on small guns. it seems to very slowly get weaker and weaker.

plus lets face it, this really isnt what its for, it just happens to be good for building spudguns out of.

i hope your "new" gun works well.
"physics, gravity, and law enforcement are the only things that prevent me from operating at my full potential" - not sure, but i like the quote

you know you are not an engineer if you have to remind yourself "left loosy righty tighty"
ShowNoMercy
Sergeant
Sergeant

Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:38 pm

I was thinking a smaller, somewhere around a foot long of 3 inch PVC, chamber and a longer smaller bore barrel, maybe 1 1/2 inch. And then maybe rig something to have an inboard HPA tank.
psycix
Sergeant Major 4
Sergeant Major 4

Donating Members

Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:03 pm

I would like to see some pictures, a properly built gun doesnt blow at 50 psi!
Why did it blow? Unproper glueing? DWV?
Till the day I'm dieing, I'll keep them spuddies flying, 'cause I can!

Spudfiles steam group, join!
ShowNoMercy
Sergeant
Sergeant

Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:01 pm

Nope, I am guessing that the 4 inch coupling just had a weak spot in the glue. Lot of surface area to bond and all. But I tried to service my valve and I can't get the piston to come out of the tee. Any ideas?
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:05 pm

ShowNoMercy wrote:I can't get the piston to come out of the tee. Any ideas?
Bigger hammer ;)

Why not build a burst fire golfball launcher?
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
F.E.A.R._Sniper
Private 4
Private 4

Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:47 pm

you mean like the capabilities that the vogt's have gotten so far JSR?

i would love to have some detailed drawings and diagrams of one of those
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:00 pm

I would be more inclined to scale up this design, a sort of massive BBMG with a chamber just big enough to hold 10 or so golf balls.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
ShowNoMercy
Sergeant
Sergeant

Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:01 pm

I was thinking something along those lines. Golfball barrel, maybe 4 feet long, smaller chamber and something that I can carry easily. Def not the Vogt pattern though, my HPA is not nearly big enough.
Mr.Sandman
Corporal 3
Corporal 3

Donating Members

Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:17 am

is your leg okay? ive had that happen with one of my drop piston launchers. i did not epoxy it right and the ballvalve shot at my leg and broke my shin :? it was so painful!
Yeah, it's that important.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:45 am

Mr.Sandman wrote:the ballvalve shot at my leg and broke my shin :? it was so painful!
As in, literally broke the bone? :shock:
ShowNoMercy
Sergeant
Sergeant

Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:54 am

Well it was only like 50psi and the valve wasn't sealing right so it wasn't a huge amount of pressure. And it takes a lot to accelerate a supah valve, their kinda bulky. Still can't get the damn thing apart, What should I use as a drift? Piece of wood?
rna_duelers
Staff Sergeant 3
Staff Sergeant 3

Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:31 am

I had a barrel explode on me in cold weather,sent pieces of PVC in every direction some about the size of a mobile phone.I wish I got some pictures of it,could you get some pictures of your blown apart cannon?I want to see how the coupler failed.

Can you pull your supah apart by any chance and get as many photo's as possible of it's inner workings?I know there a a few pictures floating around but a few more can't hurt. :wink: As for getting it out,jacks on the money,bigger hammer and maybe some KY jelly.
ShowNoMercy
Sergeant
Sergeant

Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:49 pm

I got it apart, used a 9oz C02 tank as a drift and a rubber mallet. As for pictures, sorry its all back together. And the coupling just shot off in one piece. Most likely a weak spot in the glue.